The real truth about oil Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » The real truth about oil « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 848
Posted on Monday, 26 March, 2018 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is what I want to know. If I have a vehicle that has been sitting for five years without being started have all or any of the oils lost their ability to lubricate? Is the idea that sitting oil loses its ability to lubricate fact or is that idea something oil companies simply created to sell more oil?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

oil that comes out of the ground is millions of years old an that stuff still works...... I know because we get lots of money when we sell it.....

I would consider an oil change if it is convenient but if it is not I would see no harm in starting the engine with 5 year old oil in it. This assumes it feels and smells right. If it is fuel laden or thick as treacle then no.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 04:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Omar.

Having started vehicles that are "barn finds" after checking that they have oil in them, and that the oil does not appear or smell compromised in any way, I have yet to see one suffer any consequences at all.

One should, of course, change said oil at the earliest convenience, but that entails getting the vehicle somewhere that this task can reasonably be undertaken (that is, if it will start and move).

Brian

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 850
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks chaps for the info. The swine that put me onto this dribble that oil losses its ability to lubricate over time was the Mad Scot who also believes there is something incredibly wrong with my Cadillac's steering because it feels so light.

I have the Pano, a Ford Falcon which I left in a paddock for three years and thereafter thrashed it mercilessly for another eight years without changing the diff oil and that diff is still fine and so is the auto trans but the engine was worn out from high mileage at 300,000 and used to empty the sump out the dip stick hole so I replaced the engine with one I found at the local dump.

Another notorious myth is if you leave a battery on a cement floor that damages the battery. Had a boss in Sydney that thought that was as true as women are wallet emptiers.

Marvellous are the myths of the mechanical world.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The oil does not lose lubracity by sitting. But it does gather condensation from the air. So you may find water in the oil and that would cause harm.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 11:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I take a look at the dip stick for any signs of moisture before attempting to start a car that has been sitting for a long time. If the oil looks OK I remove the spark plugs and squirt a drop of oil into each cylinder to aid lubrication and leave it a while to soak around the piston rings. If it's not too difficult I remove the valve cover and squirt a little oil over the cam then turn the engine over a few times using a pulley or starter motor if the battery is good. This helps to get the oil to the top end to aid lubrication. Then refit spark plugs & attempt to start. If you attempt to start up a dormant engine without going through the above procedure it will be dry around the top end and this may cause some wear as the valves/tappets and/or cam until pressure builds up sufficiently. I wouldn't drive too far before changing the oil & filter and checking again for any moisture in the oil or white oily scum inside the radiator cap. It's a good idea to remove the sump and clean it out and clean the gauze filter at the bottom of the pipe to the oil pump as sludge may have built up which would hinder oil flow to the pump.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: