Rust Repairs Patch Panel Welding Oxy ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Rust Repairs Patch Panel Welding Oxy Mig or Tig « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 809
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 11:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jetsetters have any of you had much experience in the area of panel repair ?

I worked for a couple of years in Sydney as a unqualified panel beater to get panel experience.

There is something about removing rust from car panels I enjoy but can't explain why I enjoy it - its a bit like scaring up bush lizards with a Desert Eagle 357 Magnum Handgun or falling for a piece of skirt - there is simply no logic to it.

However my experience is oxy welding puts too much heat into the panel and mig welding leaves a lot to be ground away. So I have a CIGWELD 275 mig but I have been looking at an Eastwood 200 TIG on ebay for just over a grand AUD. The Eastwood is made in the USA and that generally gives me confidence there is some quality to the welder.

Problem is over the net there are people saying use Mig and there are people saying use Tig but I have never used Tig.

The Camargue has a rust hole about an inch big on the passenger side, the Spirit has a little rust, the Cadillac has no rust at all like the 420G and the Mark One Jaguar has lots of rust as does the Holden WB Panel Van.

So rust repair over the next couple of years is going to be on the agenda.

What can you tell me?

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a professional with over 40 years restoration experience I can say the only PROPER way to weld in patch panels is with TIG or oxy acetylene.

TIG is easier to learn how to do perfect welds although the equipment is relatively expensive. Don't buy a cheap TIG, get an inverter TIG with pulse mode and frequency control. This type of machine allows even a novice welder to quickly make excellent welds. The correct way to weld in panels is with butt welds, and an inverter TIG will allow you to fuse the metal together often without adding filler rod to make a perfect flat distortion free join. If you're going to go Eastwood then the 200 Digital is a much better choice with pulse and frequency control features. The difference in ease of use and quality of weld between the straight 200 and the Digital 200 is like night and day.

Oxy acetylene welding of the same butt joint takes a little more skill as you will have to regulate the heat manually by moving the torch in and out of the weld pool. If you go with oxy acetylene invest in a small torch like a Meco Midget. The Meco is what I use for gas welding aluminum when making body panels.

Remember that the best welds are made when you spend the time to fit the patch panels perfectly before welding together.

I'd suggest you join and spend some time on metalmeet.com, a forum for panel beaters. There are lots of tutorials on there that you will find useful for either TIG or oxy acetylene.

Hope this helps,
Jim.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When cutting holes in body work for repair patches use straight square lines because it makes the fitting easier.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 686
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 23:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

Tig and mig are very different animals If you haven't welded with either, you might want to give both a try before buying one. Trade what's left of the house sitting VB to a local welder for a quick try of each.

But.

Get some gas tanks.

Gas means leadding seams, shrinking metal, heating for a bends, sooting for temperature, annealing, cutting thick and thin, blowing steel bolts out of castings, welding Fe and Al, brazing, paint removal, etc.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 492
Posted on Monday, 01 January, 2018 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Before Mig was affordable,I restored several cars with Oxy acetylene. A lot of wet rag to absorb heat and quite satisfying. Do not buy a cheap MIG. I did and changed it very quickly for an Oxford professional unit ( cost about £800)! My son has an inverter Mig which is even better and cost about the same. The results are excellent. Never tried TIG, but I believe the metal has to be perfectly clean and rust free which may present a challenge when restoring cars in anything other than ideal situations.Our local panel maker only uses Tig and his welds are virtually invisible.
Mark

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Monday, 01 January, 2018 - 02:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just like this!

keith pearson
Experienced User
Username: dud_fivers

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 01 January, 2018 - 05:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can use TIG but with a Copper/silicon rod . Lower heat and will join stainless/ mild steel . Expensive but easier to use.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Thursday, 04 January, 2018 - 04:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
This is a subject that will have a lot of us geeks proposing lots of opinion. This geek however knows jack poo about the difference between TIG and MIG other than the theoretical crap I was taught at university.
However you did refer to skirt... and this is something I know a lot about. Skirt is a very important part of any man's life. My preference is for the larger more rounded dimensions.... And window shopping is always allowed......

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Thursday, 04 January, 2018 - 07:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Just because you are on a diet doesn't mean you cannot look at a menu.

You just have to make sure you eat your meals at home............

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, 08 January, 2018 - 07:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar
Keep skirt and home far away from each other, otherwise this may be the result!

https://www.google.com.gi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1nvuQ4cbYAhXJsxQKHaqiAK0QyCkILzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_Sdzs46V4vE&usg=AOvVaw3TgSwXdAM4UL8Gbu_ssXAg

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Tuesday, 09 January, 2018 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That was funny...................

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: