"What's it worth?" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » "What's it worth?" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

RROCA Web Site Administrator (144.137.127.76)
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2002 - 16:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not as much as you may think. You certainly don't have to be rich to own a Rolls-Royce!

The older cars do tend to demand high prices but a more modern Rolls-Royce or Bentley can be found for well under the cost of many new luxury cars.

The Silver Shadow models are currently at their lowest market prices ever and some real bargains can be had in the $20-$30K range. Earlier post-WWII models can be found for anything from $20K to $70K.

Like all cars, however, the monetary value of a Rolls-Royce or Bentley rarely matches its "worth" to the owner. When selling or buying, the agreed price is pretty much what one is willing to accept and the other to pay.

Martin Cutler (203.18.6.104)
Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2002 - 10:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A 4.5 litre Mk VI chassis only was 2145 pounds plus purchase tax ex factory. Not sure how much Messers Freestone & Webb charged to build the body, but H.J. Mulliner charged 3820 pounds plus purchase tax (33 1/3%), for a sedan (including the chassis). Therefore the finished car delivered and taxed was worth just under 5000 pounds. Average salary in 1950?

Based on that, my car is worth over $1,000,000.

evalbert (216.221.240.130)
Posted on Tuesday, 21 January, 2003 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When asked here in USA what my 1934 20/25 hp is worth, my standard answer is, "A million dollars." Usually the younger set believes it - but the older, wiser folks know that's more like what I feel I've paid to keep it running, not what anyone in their right mind would ever pay for it.

After all, don't we RR owners all think our own car is "priceless." Otherwise, we'd have sold them and be driving a top of the line Lexus.

Enjoy your "down under" chats and look forward some day to a trip to Australia.

Ed Albert
Charlotte, NC USA