Cloud snow plough Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Cloud snow plough « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Heath
New User
Username: bill_heath

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 11 November, 2016 - 07:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seen on a Spanish classic car forum. I'm fairly sure that car and plough are not connected - purists take a deep breath
#

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 649
Posted on Saturday, 12 November, 2016 - 07:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great find Bill

I bet there has been many Rolls Royce over the years with implements of all sorts attached.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Saturday, 12 November, 2016 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This particular photo, while incredibly amusing, is a product of photoshop and has been around for quite some time.

I still smile when I see it. I've always been waiting for someone to express mortification that a Cloud, or any Rolls-Royce or Bentley, is allowed outdoors in the snow.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Sunday, 13 November, 2016 - 01:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I dont drive in the snow best not to especially as my local authority use salt.

We get about 2 inches a year average last year no snow just frost, however they still use salt at the drop of the hat.

Await no longer Brian Vogel I am mortified at the thought of driving a RR or Bentley in snow.

I only drive my jeep in snow if very important, just wait a day or so and the snow will be gone in Bournenmouth.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Sunday, 13 November, 2016 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

There are lots of us who live in locations where snow is a regular occurrence and where once it comes it stays for quite a while. That's not particularly true of where I'm living now, but it has been of the areas of Pennsylvania and New York state where I had lived.

I avoid driving on freshly salted roads where there's lots of slush and/or water to throw the salt up into the car. Once things have dried out, though, I'll drive any time during the winter.

I learned to drive in a part of Western Pennsylvania where we had snow every winter and where everyone had to know how to drive in snow or they were stuck at home for heaven only knows how long during some of the winter months. I astounded my co-workers in Northern Virginia years ago by driving them home during "snow events" and making my way around lots of cars stuck in various places because I actually knew how to drive in snow. This was in a 1979 Oldsmobile 98 or 1980 Chrysler Cordoba, both rear wheel drive cars. I don't get to practice my snow driving nearly as much as I once did.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Sunday, 13 November, 2016 - 07:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From my experience doing a coast-to-coast, border-to-border round trip around the USA and the western part of Canada in December 1974/January 1975 in a second-hand 1966 6 cylinder Mustang I bought in San Francisco for USD1100 and sold 2 months later for USD600 with 11,000 miles added to the odometer, I can categorically state driving in snow and ice is virtually identical to driving in mud in our black soil country.

Same problems with mud/snow build-up in the wheel arches, same problems with lack of adhesion and wheel slip only difference is ambient temperature [at one time we were caught in a blizzard on Trans-Canada 1 at Moose Jaw between Calgary and Winnipeg with a temperature of -45deg F due to wind chill]. I also drove across Kicking Horse Pass between Golden and Banff Springs in the Canadian Rockies using chains after 14 inches of overnight snow and the snow plough drivers were on strike - a group of drivers including myself made a daylight convoy and took 8 hours to cover a distance around 80/100 miles [forgotten the exact distance]. Incredible vistas but careful driving was needed due to ice covering the road beneath the fresh snow cover. I stayed on the road for the entire trip without sliding off much to the amazement of the local drivers who openly said I would not handle the conditions - my mud experience in the black soil country of Western NSW was invaluable in these conditions.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 10:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not photoshopped.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 11:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Only Ross could come up with an engineering gem like this.

Did a great job of hiding the rams there Ross.

Todd Keleske
Frequent User
Username: toddk

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2017 - 12:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How to tell a Vail CO Local...In Winter, Driving balls out going 70 MPH over Vail Pass in an SUV with four studded snows mounted...Passing all cars creeping along at 30 MPH...Been there done that. I recall 0 visibility only being able to see my MB hood ornament. That's a tense !!! Todd

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: