Silver cloud 2 cabriolet Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Silver cloud 2 cabriolet « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jim cowin
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.166.96.237
Posted on Sunday, 27 June, 2004 - 13:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

g'day. i was wondering if someone may know what has happened to a silver cloud cabriolet that was owned by the federal government? i think that it was a mark two and was on display at the national motor museum birdwood s.a for a number of years.if someone could help me out i would be very greatful. thak you.

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.59
Posted on Sunday, 27 June, 2004 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I dont know the answer, BUT if you are interested in such a car you would be aware that some such cars may not be FACTORY built cars, but rather "re-creations/sanctions/adaptions" or other such fanciful descriptions. That is NOT to say such conversions are bad or inferior etc. (the green, NSW regd., S1 at the national concours in Flemington; 03/04 was OUTSTANDING!)but merely a reminder that some "expert" entreprenuers MIGHT try to "pass off" a "re-creation" (conversion) as the genuine (factory) article with of course a sale price to match. Caveat Emptor.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, 01 July, 2004 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hate these questions as it shows just how the memory banks are deteriorating. There were as far as I remember four of these cars made on I think Cloud II chassis. The chassis prefix was CAL. The Commonwealth bought 2 of them and one was owned by a then prominent theatre organist who managed to smash the thing up in one of the grand deserts in the States. He reportedly was sueing Roll-Royce for poor design or workmanship or for his own stupidity - I don't know. Anyhow they were unique in that they were true cabriolets - four door convertibles. As you can imagine this called for a lot of work on the part of the chassis to hold the thing together. As far as I remember the doors closed onto the 'B' pillar which must have been better re-inforced than the forward hull of the Titanic! Beyond that I cannot help other than to recall that one of these cars disgraced itself at a very major function during a Queen's visit. Seems the thing decided to effect gross incontinence via one of its carburetters just as their emminences emerged onto the race course where they were to wave to the adoring subjects. HRH was apparently most amused at sitting there while another car was sought but HM was NOT amused. Nowadays I suppose they would be terrified but such is the age we live in. Nobody seems to know where either of these cars finished up. Finally reading good John Dare's remarks I can assure you and him that they were genuine coachbuilt cars as approved by the Factory and I think they made by Mulliner.

Roy M Tilley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 222.152.145.107
Posted on Thursday, 01 July, 2004 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to keep the picture complete, there was a chap in the UK about 10 to 12 years ago offering softop conversion kits for Clouds at about £10,000 for soft top, two large doors and other odds and ends. No doubt the panelbeater's bill would be of a similar size. Like Bill, I have a problem recalling details but there could be some of these cars around, so not all Cloud/S dropheads are by definition original MPW/RR.
Regards
Roy Tilley, NZRR&BC

JIM.COWIN
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.166.43
Posted on Sunday, 04 July, 2004 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RE. THE EX-GOVERNMENT ROLLS ROYCE SILVER CLOUD CABRIOLET.THANKYOU VERY MUCH TO JOHN.DARE.BILL.COBURN AND ROY.TILLY FOR YOUR REPLIES TO MY QUESTION.IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS ANY OTHER INFORMATION IN THE FUTURE I WOULD BE MOST GREATFUL TO HEAR FROM YOU BY WAY OF THIS FORUM.THANK YOU.

Jim. Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.166.28
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2004 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just as a point of interest regarding this car. I understand that H.R.H Prince Phillip drove this car at least once.The most that I ever got to do was sit in it!!!

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Shostrom
New User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, 16 May, 2005 - 15:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen, here is the information we are looking for. With the exception of one car, all were Cloud IIIs but with only two headlamps. They were all long wheelbase:
LLCB16 (Silver Cloud II) HJM Design 7484, delivered June 1961 to Louis Marx & Co. The two for the Australian Government were CAL37 and CAL39, both delivered in December 1962. By this time HJM had merged with Park Ward and the design number changed to 2003. There are three others to this design: CCL9 (May 1965), CDL3 (June 1964) and CEL87 (June 1965). Do hope this helps. Cheers.

Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.166.6
Posted on Thursday, 19 May, 2005 - 13:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John & thankyou very much for the information.I have some great memories of helping to look after the South Australian based car when it was housed at the National Motor Museum at Birdwood.It was a truly lovely example of the body builders art & I have never forgiven Keating & co for selling it.I would love to find out were it is now.

Mark Herbstreit
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 60.230.148.162
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2005 - 22:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jim
According to praeclarum p. 2225 4/93. Both Cal 37 and Cal 39 were sold to an American buyer. I have the original tender forms for these two cars and also a picture of the Birdwood car taken in 1987. I had trouble uploading these files but they provide detailed information of both cars.
regards.
Mark Herbstreit

Mark Herbstreit
Yet to post message
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 22 May, 2005 - 22:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

cloud

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2005 - 11:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark and welcome to our Forum.

Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.166.20
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2005 - 16:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark & thank you so very much for the information. It was just so very nice to find out a bit more about these lovely cars. It's just a shame that both cars ended up in America But I'll tell you one thing. If I ever win that huge x lotto then at least the ex S.A. car will find it's way to my place.

Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.166.15
Posted on Wednesday, 22 June, 2005 - 17:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there knows what become of CAL37 & CAL39 when they reached the .U.S.A? I would love to know were they are now & how to contact the owner.

John Shostrom
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, 25 August, 2005 - 13:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For those of you interested, LCEL87 is available for sale in the United States. You can see details of the car at Vantage Motor Works website: www.vantagemotorworks.net

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, 25 August, 2005 - 23:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very interesting site John.
I wonder if we could all chip in for the Phantom 1V?
We'll just have to work out a roster as to when we can all use it.

John Shostrom
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, 26 August, 2005 - 01:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, that is an excellent idea! I have the build sheets on that Phantom IV, as well as the others, and at least we could get it back to as close to original as possible! What a wonderful dream, eh? And for some other fun stuff, try www.frankdale.com as they are advertising a unique Bentley S1 with a 3-piece wraparound backlight - coachwork by H J Mulliner. Very yummy.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2005 - 00:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not bad at all John.

Mark Herbstreit
New User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 13 September, 2005 - 23:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jim,
I contacted Eileen Dilger at RROC inc. headquarters USA. She says there is no record of the CALs on their database. Cars are never removed from the base so if a former member owned them they would be on file. It seems the owner is keeping them all to themselves!

Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.166.60
Posted on Sunday, 18 September, 2005 - 13:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In view of the information in Mark's post of the 13th of September, I was wondering if anyone would have any idea of how we could try to trace these cars now? If someone do'es then please let me knoe either by email or by way of this forum. I would be very greatful. Thank you.