Keeping our cars on the road Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Keeping our cars on the road « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Prolific User
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, 15 January, 2005 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is directed to anyone who is knowledgable on the subject. Some time ago I heard some rumblings about a proposed legislation that would effectively put most vehicles over the age of twenty years off the roads. I believe the A.O.M.C. has a fight on their hands to combat these issues and I'm wondering how far they are progressing with it. This would not only have grave connotations for classic vehicle owners, but the Australian motorist in general. As there is a high proportion of older vehicles still in daily use, such a legislation could force many motorists into bankruptcy as many could simply not afford to purchase new or younger vehicles. This form of legislation (if what I have heard is indeed accurate), would be completely unworkable. I can remember reading an article in a motoring magazine about ten years ago that stated that either Los Angeles or San Francisco (I can't remember which), legislated that all new vehicles entering their fair city had to be zero emission by the year 2000. Well guess what? It's now 2005 and unless I haven't been informed, there are no zero emission vehicles sold in either of those fair cities. I can also remember at about the same time that New York was going to ban vehicles over the age of three years entering into the CBD (any New Yorkers reading this, please correct me if I'm mistaken).Again, I can still see a large number of older vehicles in the Big Apple when I see the news. This sort of legislation is draconian if true to say the least (I thought we lived in a free society)and should be fought tooth and nail to defeat any such motions.
Comments anyone?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 19:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here in the Uk old cars built up to 1972/3 are tax exempt,no road fund tax to pay.
There was some talk years ago that they would only be allowed on the highway if they were on a organised club event.
To get them to the event area they would have to be trailored not driven[all part of the fun]
What a performance! luckly it never transpired.
I think some old cars in France can only be used on organised runs.
Maybe this is where some bright spark tried to dream up the idea over here.
One thing is for sure if ever they tried,they would have a battle from the classic car brigade.

John Dare
Prolific User
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 20:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Robert. I have in recent times spoken with senior bureaucrats at a State and Federal level and both hasten to assure that in the event of the introduction of "old car" legislation, regard would be had, and special provision made for older cars, IF such cars have clearly been restored. It is evident that "old car" legislation is largely driven primarily by the auto industry (urged on of course by "greenies")who at least realize that ownership of a restored car (irrespective of model/type etc.) does NOT threaten or compromise in any way, the potential sale of a new car. That is because, in the majority of instances, restored "marque" cars are rarely owned and used for general motoring purposes. It is the politics of envy and the bearded, sometime bike riding tree huggers that we need to worry about.

Martin Cutler
Frequent User
Username: martin

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 10:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dearest John,

I wouldn't worry, just convert the sunroof to a solar panel, and you'll be fine!

Martin - your local bearded bike rider!

John Dare
Prolific User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Martin. I need to know if you PEDAL with Perspiring Propensity upon a "Malvern Star" or similar Curious Contraption OR (hopefully) actually RIDE a Revving, Rapturous "Ducati" or similar?

Robert Wort
Prolific User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 13:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear John, Patrick,Martin.
Even if the government (in its wisdom?) should legislate and make a provision for the classic car owner it will still be descriminitory against those ordinary motorists who cannot afford to upgrade their old bangers due to financial constraints. Think of the wholesale scrapping of older model vehicles and general dumping of cars on sidestreets and vacant lots. Pollution! It would be such a dreadful waste. Resale values would plummet and many used car dealerships would topple with it. I know our used car salespeople have gained an infamous reputation (not always justified), but they still have mouths to feed. I say that ANY attempt to legislate against older vehicles in ANY shape or form should be rigorously fought on all fronts as it impinges on the basic rights of motorists. Your opinions please?

Martin Cutler
Frequent User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 13:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

Both! But never on a Ducati! Many years ago 2 brothers by the name of Massimo and Piero decided to build motorcycles in a little town called Breganze in Northern Italy. Hand made Italian beasts that bear their surname. They where to long distance motorcycle racing in the 50's, 60's and 70's what W.O. was to long distance car racing in the 20's. Can you guess their name?

What is wrong with pedals? The first Ducati was so equipped, and even Orville and Wilbur Wright started out making bicycles.

I think you're pretty safe though John, I haven't hugged any trees lately :-)

Martin Cutler
Frequent User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert,

I have a dear friend who owns many cars, including a Vauxhall 30/98, Messersmidt 3 wheeler, and a Honda motorised bicycle. His favourite means of transportation is the Honda. As the motor is under 50cc, he has no need of entanglement with any bureaucracy, no rego, no insurance, no number plate. He straps his pudding basin helmet on, and rides down to the shops, waving gleefully to the policeman as the little 2 stoke puffs along, sometimes at the heady speed of 50 km/h.

As we speak, I have in my possession a 2 stroke whipper snipper motor, and am looking carefully at how this could be grafted to my mountain bike with 21 gears, disc brakes and full suspension. Wave to the nice policeman! :-)

John Dare
Prolific User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 15:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Martin. I am glad you note that I did say "tree hugging" bike riders but must confess to being a stranger to pedalling after selling my bike upon leaving high school. I believe that serious fitness seekers attend gymnasiums where among other equipment they have those ideal "mono" exercise bikes which are permanently confined to the premises. Democracy however, does provides freedom of choice and up to a point freedom of expression for which we are surely appreciative, but as a motoring enthusiast I do fear an erosion of the former as politicians/party supporters (eg "Greens") urge us daily, to "ride a bike". THEY dont of course, preferring a white Fairlane/ LTD with air conditioning "on" whilst idling at Canberra airport in anticipation of their arrival. It wouldnt simply be the "old" cars they these enviro-nazis would ban.

Martin Cutler
Frequent User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

This scare mongering talk has been going on for ages. Even in Japan where they have the strictest rules, they still have historic vehicles. I would worry about more important things, like red wine and brunettes.

Robert Wort
Prolific User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hear hear to that Martin. By the way, I love those Messerschmidts. Any Pics?

John Dare
Prolific User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, 19 January, 2005 - 02:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes..Yes, red wine and brunettes, but dont forget blondes, depending upon the color or your car/s to enable a harmonious "match" etc. Speaking of colors, when Ashley James recently told about the ladies complimenting him regarding the ever changing (daylight) Glacier Blue on his R-type, I took B10TN (Tudor/Shell)straight down to my painter for a quotation!

John Dare
Prolific User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, 19 January, 2005 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Robert W. Some of us Spitfire ,Hurricane and of course ordnance delivery Lancaster lovers are still in denial over the German acquisition of Crewe and now you tell us you love Messerschmitts. Now I am really upset!

Robert Wort
Prolific User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, 19 January, 2005 - 23:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh don't despare John. I mean the little three wheelers. As one of my uncles flew a 'Spitty' during WW11 I have a special love for them and especially the Merlins that powered them. I still am in denial over the 'enemy' aquistion though (Apologies to my German friends of whom I have many). I still think it would have been more fitting for an American Company such as GM to have acquired RR/B as there is an American precedent (Springfield) and the fact that the Yanks are generally anglophillic. Let's face it, Jaguars are now reliable since Ford took them over.

John Dare
Prolific User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, 20 January, 2005 - 04:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Robert. I agree that a U.S buyer would have been preferable given the Springfield connection that you mention and also the long established GM relationship. Alternatively a GM (or Ford) MERGER such as Chrysler/Daimler-Benz etc., which I believe may have preserved the identity of the name and perhaps provided a perception of autonomy.

Miguel A. Garcia
Experienced User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2005 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In Spain, ther is a law for safeguard and protection of the known or catalogated as "historic" vehicles, which are ALL of more than 25 years old. This vehicles are tax exemts in some townhalls (here the car taxes are payed locally, not to the main state). Also, you may register your "historic" car as "historic" wich means the terms and rules that keep it to be "on the road" after the anual inspection are less hard that for conventional registerd cars. Also if you register your car as "historic" you have many limitations for having it on the road: you will be only allowed for meetings, historical rallies, etc..

That is why if your car is in good order for run on the road, the best choice it to register it as "conventional" car, wich will not modifie the "historic" character of it in this mentioned law.
When i refer to "registering" the car, i mean about the kind of plates you shall hang on it...

That how we are in Spain, I think it is some similar in others EU countries...

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, 24 March, 2005 - 01:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Miguel;

Here in Wisconsin we have similar registrations for Antique (care must be over 50 years old) and Collector (car must be more than 20 years old) both remove the annual registration fees and the bi-annual inspections. Law required that these cars could only be operated on public roads to and from car shows, club meets, and parades or for servicing needs.

Here is where one attorney proved his worth. About 20 years ago this gentleman had taken his car (believe it was a Pierce Arrow) out for a drive on a Sunday. A police officer gave him a citation for the violation. The man fought the ticket in court and the Judge rule that anytime an Antique or Classic car is on the road it is a “parade” thereby voiding the State regulation. After which the state rather then fighting the Judge’s ruling in Appellate Court, they just rewrote the law so that to obtain one of these registrations you must first prove you own at least one another vehicle that has regular registration. This of course is to keep people from registering “beater” cars this way to avoid inspections.

Best regards,
Bill