1980 Shadow II on car sales . com Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » 1980 Shadow II on car sales . com « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 912
Posted on Thursday, 19 January, 2017 - 22:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've seen this on car sales a few times over the last few months, but thought I would share it in case you guys have not seen it.
The price is simply stunning

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-1980/SSE-AD-3651816/?Cr=0

I would like to have a close look at it though.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, 19 January, 2017 - 23:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a crazy price, 30 years in storage will have created numerous problems due to lack of use, I wonder if this is a typo, 39,000 would be closer to the mark

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, 19 January, 2017 - 23:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quote from that very funny Aussie movie "The Castle".

Son: "Dad!, there's a RR Silver Shadow for sale on the net for $395,598!"
Father: "Tell 'im he's dreamin"

Saw it online since at least Aug 2015 when I was gallivanting around Aust searching for mine. Does look great in the photos, some light patina/blemishes noticed though. I would expect a zero-mileage factory time capsule for this money.
Notice the very precise sum being asked, right down the last $8.

If I was hunting for the world's best Shadow, then this must surely be close, and for a third of the money:

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/rolls-royce/silver+shadow/209707

Not quite my fave colour combo and no doubt some further tinkering will be reqd, but assuming the car is real, then this is as close to factory 1980 Crewe as we'll probably ever see. Check the photos- paint, interior, engine, undercarriage- all gobsmacking. Engine looks very glossy- hopefully not that greasy shine that EVERY car dealer sprays everywhere.

Shadow prices seem to be doing very nicely in the UK- similar numeric figures to Aust.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 913
Posted on Friday, 20 January, 2017 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now that is a nice car Nick, and not a dumb asking price.
You're right about the colours though.
Interior engine bay, boot and undercarriage is certainly the best I have seen.

However one of out club members has recently acquired a beautiful Bentley TII that comes very close and the colour combo is awesome.
I had the pleasure of being one of the judges on this lovely car at our 2016 Concours.
This is the only pic I can find of it.
It has a great green interior & green carpet as well and is quite magnificent.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 494
Posted on Friday, 20 January, 2017 - 15:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick...
May I assume you are not referring to what appears to be an awesome Pre-War Derby Bentley in the foreground but rather the modern era vehicle behind it?

As to the pristine Shadow...don't forget that while it may have a pretty face, all of its rubber components...suspension bushings (now likely dry and hard, rather than supple as new), and especially brake and hydraulic lines, are WAY past their expiration date, and in which the RR363 has been doing it corrosive action for the past 37 years, not to mention the various valves in the hydraulic system that may be sticky. Of even more interest would be to get a run down of what time related gremlins occur for the next owner...unless of course (as may likely be the case) they also simply keep it in its time capsule, rather than actually use it.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 915
Posted on Friday, 20 January, 2017 - 16:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian,

Yes the T2 behind that amazing Derby Bentley, which I may add is also a magnificent car and a multiple prize winner, and is always a favourite when it is on display.

The T2 is stunning.

Totally agree about the overpriced Shadow.
It would be a can of worms.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 04:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have become the fortunate inheritor of a very good condition Silver Shadow, SRX6816, which has a mere 16,000 miles on the clock. The rubber is in amazing condition, I've been told even the Michelin tires are original (though others have assured me the original came with Avons - though I don't know for certain what was OEM for the North America market). Anyway, because the car has been kept largely in a non-UV setting, the rubber is overall in very good condition. But it's not perfect. It's not brand new. It is, however, very, very nice.

Meanwhile, the brake system, as has been mentioned, suffered the ravages of RR363 over time. They have been gone through and renewed, hoses, calipers, some rigid lines, etc. Yet some things remains to be done, e.g. I have yet to replace the master cylinder which developed a leak (though I have received the replacement, which was unexpectedly inexpensive). Fortunately my example retains full function in every respect, e.g. both the front and rear self-leveling remains perfectly functional, the wood is pristine . . . and even the clock in the dash keeps good time (losing about 10 minutes a week).

Anyway, while I paid quite a price for mine, it's because I wasn't shopping for the cheapest example but instead, sought the best example I could find. Why? It's because I'm old and experienced enough to have purchased a lesser example of a used car I lusted for during the course of my life. And as a consequence, I fully grok the wisdom of that old saw about nothing being quite as expensive as buying the cheapest example of an older car. While I paid a fairly dear price for Tootsie, I believe I received good value. Only time will tell how it works out for me.

Finally, I cannot possible comment regarding the value of that Roller on offer in AUS because I'm not familiar with that market, e.g. the situation regarding values, import duties, etc. However, it does make me wonder if something else isn't going on. This because I once heard a story once about a guy who bought a 1998 Ferrari for $2000. Why? Turns out the philandering husband had left it to his lover and his wife sold it and gave her the proceeds. Apocryphal? Sure. A joke? Perhaps. But it's sure a reminder that everything may not be what it seems. Anyway, wouldn't it be nice to learn the rest of the story with regard to that $400k asking price? I'm a little surprised someone hasn't called to ask what the real story actually is. I suspect with the right approach, e.g. with disclosure you already have a car and are merely curious why the price seems 10X too high for the market, then we'll learn there's actually more to the story. It's all about the approach and trying to disarm the seller enough into sharing (perhaps not for public disclosure but for private consumption).

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John

I hope your tires are not original - lol. That would make them 40 years old. Tires should be replaced every 6 years regardless of number of miles traveled, as the rubber degrades with age. This is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommendation.

You can check the age of your tires by the 4 number code on the tire (post 2000). There are plenty of examples of how to do this on the web. e.g. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 919
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 10:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

If I was closer to this car, I would defiantly contact him to listen to his story.
The car would be interesting to see, that is for sure.

Geoff,
I will be sure to check out my tyres.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2017 - 19:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have suspicions that the $395k Shadow 2 was from Con Polites' collections.

Con Polites was the son of immigrants and became a very successful businessman and real estate tycoon here in Adelaide in the 1980's. He had a thing for RR's and was said to have 3 or 4 at the time.
He passed away last year (I think?), so his family must be selling off his collection.

There's also a few other Carsales.com.au listings that I reckon might have been his cars:
1989 Corniche listed for $795k
1992 Corniche listed for $895k
1997 Spur listed for $395k
1995 Spirit for $80k (cheap in comparison, huh?)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 933
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2017 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

They certainly know how to charge!!

Unfortunately they will never sell them.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2388
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2017 - 22:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the classic words spoken by Daryl Kerrigan in the classic Australian movie "The Castle" which also apply to the person[s] responsible for setting the prices in the car listings:

“Tell him he’s dreamin'”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jL2DH-nKBeA

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 938
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2017 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A real Classic David!

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 03:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, I wrote the seller of the $395k Shadow and indeed, Polites is the name associated with the response. Speaking of which, this is exactly what they said with respect to my polite inquiry regarding why the car is listed for 10X the expected price for such a vehicle . . . "This motor vehicle is the only silver shadow that was 1st registered as a 1981 year of delivery and is the last silver shadow ll to be made and delivered from the rolls Royce factory, it is in absolute mint and in totally original condition with the full history it is a one of a kind and can never be replaced."

Of course, you can ask whatever you want but the value is going to be exactly how much someone will pay, not a dime more or less. Is there such a thing as a greater fool? Of course there is! Anyway, I believe it will be interesting to learn the amount at which this car actually transacts. Me? I hope he gets the $400k because of what it means to the values for the rest of the fleet. First usually has some value, but in my experience, the last in an automotive series has little to no special value to the purchaser. Or put another way, Giacomo won Sydney to Hobart in 2016 but without looking it up, can anyone name the last place finisher?

Finally, with respect to any valuation ascribed to the automobile's owner (Polites), and no offense to his family, but it's not like he was John Lennon, or the Queen of England. Thus, in my rather less than humble opinion, because Mr. Polites was at best, a larger fish in a smallish pond (in the grand scheme of things) they're going to have to tie into a lunatic if they believe these are realistic values for any of these automobiles! Anyway, I maintain there's more to the story than meets the eye but nevertheless sincerely wish them the best of luck despite a suspicion someone is smoking crack if they seriously believe these are market values.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 03:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear John,
I agree with you about the valuation and that someone must be smoking something really good.
I think Vlad and I would certainly want invitations to the next smoking party they host to sample some of this potent stuff and then talk about wine women and song.... love the decadence that comes with Rolls-Royces.....

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 03:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't smoke and even I would want an invitation to try it out just to see what the fuss is about ;>)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great couple of posts gents.

John,
Terrific investigation, and I enjoyed reading your well written post.
Which I agree with 100%

Nice work John.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 22:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to clarify. This was not the last Shadow II made. Far from it. Its chassis number SRH39889 is well short of the final production car (41686). It may have been the last Shadow II delivered new to Australia with a build date of late '79 ( a 1980 model year). By coincedence I think the green T2 Patrick refers to was the last T2 delivered to Australia.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 945
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2017 - 06:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

Even if it was the last one, was owned by someone of importance or fame & was gold plated, it still would not attract this dumb price.

Mark,

That T2 is AWESOME!

Lawrence Heasman
Frequent User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 14:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That Polites guy is a serial offender. He had a 97 Spur on there until recently for $395000. He purchased it off a chap in Melbourne for $70k, I know this as I was a day late with my enquiry to the vendor. Gutted!!

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3869448?WT.seg_4=SoldAlert:

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 16:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I cant help wondering if my Bentley came from the Polites collection (South Australia) I am sure at one stage my car was fitted with South Australian plates. However my car was sold on assignment by Sydney City Prestige. Now that I am a member of the RROC (ACT Branch) I will one day ask them to help me with a search. Before I do that, I will inquire about the build sheet from the UK.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 17:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The build sheets are very interesting Alan,
Worth a read.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 17:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mine is SRH39979 and was registered in Jersey in Channel Isles in May 1980, still has only 32K miles, built to UK spec.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 17:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

C'mon then Gordon.

Show us a few fresh pics of SRH 39979 on Nick's latest post about show us your car.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just noticed that the Polites cars have had a price drop yesterday...
The $400k Shadow 2 is down to $145k
The $400k Spur is down to $200k
The $900k Corniche down to $345k
The $800k Corniche down to $225k

All the 'seller comments' are now generic "Aust delivered, service history, clean car".

Wonder what's going on there.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think what is going on there Jeff is called desperation.

Michael Carr
Experienced User
Username: carsie

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is an interesting thread- does this mean that mine too (SRH39723) will be going up in value as well, because my chassis number is in the same ball -park as Gordon's?

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, would the seller happen to be Sydney City Prestige? I ask because that is where my car came from and they suggested I watch how many other cars they put up for sale, seems they had a contract to sell 500 cars on consignment.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 720
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

He will definitely get his asking price - in twenty years from now, he's just getting in early.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: