A funny thing happened on the way to ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » A funny thing happened on the way to the forum « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, 07 January, 2006 - 21:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had both an interesting and rewarding experience today after I met with two of my clients about to be married in Pakenham (Victoria (I am a marriage celebrant)).

I popped into a local food store in Pakenham when a gentleman of about my age (53), approached me and told me all about his son of about 13 or 14 years of age who is a ‘’mad Rolls-Royce buff”. He told me that he has loads of models of them and magazines with pictures of them as well. I asked him if his son had ever been in a Rolls-Royce and he said that he hadn’t, but always dreams of owning one when he grows up.
Well, I couldn’t resist it. I asked him if his son was home and would he like to have a ride in mine. You could have knocked the chap over with a feather and asked if I would mind.
I followed him home and upon arrival he asked me if it was okay to not tell him that I had the Rolls-Royce parked outside. I went into the house and saw his son’s collection of models and posters on the wall and it reminded me of my room when I was his age.

We took the young lad out the front and he was speechless.

To cut a long story short, he got a buzz out of it; his Dad and Mum got a buzz out of it and needless to say, so did I.

I left them my card and hope to hear from them again so I can invite them to come along to a Club meeting.

By giving the young a ‘taste’ of our cars, it will help perpetuate the marque and keep the name alive. It also means that there will be one less vandal and it also may even help to mould these kids into decent adults.

Owning (or being custodians of) such fine vehicles such as ours gives us certain responsibilities. It also reminds us just how fortunate we are to have such vehicles in our possession.

Peter Colwell
New User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 08 January, 2006 - 14:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a great story. And who knows where the positive vibes from something like this end. Its a great example of how doing something simple, without any thought of reward can be a win for everyone involved.

And from the kids point of view, he now knows that his dreams can come true. His whole life may well have been changed forever.

Peter

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, 08 January, 2006 - 19:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

About seventeen years ago 'pre RR ownership' I was on the recieving end of a similar story. I was being driven home on a warm summers night when the most magnificent black Corniche, hood down, gold pin stripe and cream hide glided past at an intersection. With little encouragement I convinced my dad to give chase and we followed it home. After a brief introduction and explanation to the owner, (Mr Phillip Verwoert),he remembered he had forgotton the milk and asked if we would like a ride. I still rember every second of that ride. He pulled up outside the shops and left us waiting in the car, keys in the ignition and engine running. He had known us all of ten minutes. The photos dont do justice to the car which was in concour condition with around 40,000 mls on the clock. Unfortunately I failed to get a chassis number. Moments like these only reinforced my impression of these cars and their owners.
rr167
r167

PAUL DABROWSKI
New User
Username: shabbyshadow2

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2006 - 16:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, its funny how things like that can shape your later experiences. At the age of about 13 when I was madly sending out letters for brochures for a 'school project'to lots of dealers, only one salesman from a Volvo dealer really responded nicely. I got as many brochures as I wanted and the odd model car. Needlesss to say I have always liked them as a result and between my father and I have now owned 6 of them. I don't think some salespeople realise that that annoying kid who hangs around the showroom for several years would be almost a guaranteed owner in the future

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2006 - 19:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dozens of NSW RROC(A) members will tell you that they got the bug as children in the 1950s and '60s because George Sevenoaks was more than happy to allow them into his RR showroom in Crows Nest, Sydney. Not a few of them ended up buying their first car from him.

In the '70s it was always fun to pick up gobsmacked hitch-hikers in our S2 Bentley or Mark VI. I once even picked up a barefoot scruff (replete with bedroll and cattle dog puppy) in SG 1492 on the freeway north of Sydney. He was still practically speechless when I dropped him off around Freeman's Reach.

Miguel A. Garcia
Frequent User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2006 - 22:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with all your oppinions. I think that owning one of these fine machines is the result of a previous dream. This was mine at least, from when i was 13 years old. I remember as if it was yesterday the day that i saw a Corniche in the window of a dealer in Concha Espina Street, close to Santiago Bernabeu Stadium (where plays Real Madrid team). The shining paintwork, the leather, the so large size. At this time (1979) larger and more representative "common" car afordable in Spain were Dodge dart 3700 and Seat 132 and a Rolls-Royce was just a dream for 99,99% of people!!. From that day my dream was to drive and own a Rolls-Royce.
Proudly i could make my dreams reallity and actually i have 2!!
I know now that anyone can make reallity any dream and try to make it known to my sons.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2006 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a kid, I always made a beeline for the Rolls-Royce stand at the Melbourne Motor Show, where Manuel, Kellow-Falkiner's Company Chauffeur would slip me a sales brochure when Bill Sturrock was pretending not to look.

Good old Bill has sadly passed on and I don't know what happened to Manuel (no doubt now enjoying a well-earned retirement), but it was these kindnesses that have been firmly implanted in me for the rest of my days.

What better way of securing a future sale?

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, 11 January, 2006 - 18:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My first Rolls experience was navigating for David Neely in his Phantom II boat tail roadster. My head stuck up over the windscreen, and we overtook a number of stunned commodore and falcon drivers on the M4 at 70 mph. WOW! I think I was about 14 or 15.