High Tea at the Peninsula Hotel Hong ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » High Tea at the Peninsula Hotel Hong Kong « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2017 - 05:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
My wife & I have been in Hong Kong for a week, and today we went for high tea at the Peninsula Hotel.

These guys have had Rolls Royce fleets in a number of their hotels world wide for many years, and I understand they are the biggest fleet customer of Rolls Royce since their fleets of:

Shadows.

Spirits.

They even have a 1934 Phantom II

Most of us have seen or heard of their fleet of 14 Goodwood Phantoms.

Which after being there today I can tell you the above image is photoshopped, as there is just almost no room for this many cars on the fore court, but hey that does not matter, because this is what we did find in their limited space.

Please enjoy the following images.

They now also have a fleet of Mini Clubman

A bit of a size difference here I think??

This seems to be a customers Phantom.

OUCH
Note the cigarette burn!!

I can highly recommend this place for heigh tea, or just walk in for a drink or a meal. The staff are so welcoming, and friendly.

On our way out the Duty Manager noticed my wife and I looking at the cars (again) and approached us to see if we were guests. All guests can be picked up and dropped off in one of their 14 Phantoms, and when we said no, we are just Rolls Royce enthusiasts from Australia, he said one moment please. He walked away, came back with the keys and allowed us and our group of freinds to climb in and enjoy.
A real nice guy.

Thank you Anthony Au from the Peninsular for allowing us to enjoy these beautifuly maintained and immaculate Phantoms.

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2017 - 08:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Patrick.

Thank you for sharing these magnificent photo's, what a life eh. I can just imagine myself sitting there having high tea just like one does when one is cruising. It's nice to see the chauffeurs lined up and waiting. This brings me to another point, when one purchases a RR or Bentley it makes me wonder who owned my car and what uses was it put to :-)

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2017 - 08:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fantastic! You lucky, lucky people.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 905
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2017 - 10:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,
With a bit of digging, you can find out a bit about your car.
First step is to contact the Rolls Royce Enthusiest Club in the UK and acquire the build papers for the car.
This will tell you who the car was built for, then you can investigate from that.

Not too lucky David,
Had to arrive nearly 2 hours early, then queue for over an hour, so a lot of standing and waiting. High tea is from 2pm to 6pm.
Some hotels in Sydney make you feel unwelcome if your not "somebody" this place has the nicest staff I have ever met.
Everyone was so nice and talkative. Above all they made You feel welcome and above all friendly.

It's an easy place to get to, just be sure to arrive early.

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2017 - 11:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick - now that you are the official Club photographer for RROCA - NSW, you are compelled to attend as many international High Teas as possible and return home with hi-res photos. Oh, you might like to photograph the occasional car as well.
Regards,
Brian

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2017 - 12:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, I will take your advice and do just that thanks. I figured being a prestige vehicle there would be some record keeping done.

As it happens today I posted off my application to join the RROCA, ACT Branch. I plan to put the car on Historic plates asap.

My car came home a week ago from a fairly comprehensive service regime as planned out by Phil. Some time later this year I will put the Bentley in for part 2 of the service schedule.
As the car came to me with no service history I feel I must start off a new one. This will at least give a future owner something to work off when assessing the car.

Old mate (Len)and I have yet to get onto the new steering wheel setup and when its done I will take the car to the old and now closed pub in town and use it as a backdrop for photo's.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 906
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2017 - 13:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

When did the car land in Australia from Japan?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 907
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2017 - 13:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

I would be more than happy to do that, I guess someone has to take one for the team.

I have many high res images, and I was thinking of a full write up in L&D?

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2017 - 14:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, re GCH 15389.
I have no idea on any aspects of my car coming to Australia. All Sydney City Prestige would tell me is the car came from a Deceased Estate. His?? family didn't want anyone to know any of the details as to whom. Kind of puts me behind the 8 ball a little bit.
I have scoured 100's of video clips on Youtube and have spotted my car wearing these Australian number plates XIC111 and S327 AKG. I doubt if I could find those video's now.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Tuesday, 17 January, 2017 - 02:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

First, in case you missed it originally, if you're compiling a maintenance history from scratch take a look at the thread entitled, Maintenance History - This might make your life easier.

Also, have a look at SZ Chassis Number Derivation from VIN. The last 8 characters of the VIN only tell the random reader that you have a 1986 model year car with chassis sequence number 15389, but not the make or actual model. It's more useful to have the derived chassis number of the XXG-15389 format with the correct letters of the VIN plugged in for the X-es.

Brian

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, 17 January, 2017 - 07:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian, thanks mate, looks like I need to d/l open office and take it from there :-)

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, 17 January, 2017 - 14:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian, I think I have the chassis number now but I am not 100% sure about it.
Given my Vin #SCBZN0T07GCH-15389
I get NBG-15389 Is that correct?

If I am correct the NBG has me worried 'No Bloody Good' lol ;) Please bear with me mate as I am in my usual state of confusion........

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Tuesday, 17 January, 2017 - 15:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

That's correct, so I presume that you have a 1986 Bentley Turbo RL since the VIN has 'N' as its fifth position character but a model year earlier than 1989.

The sole reason for the dash is because it's easy to confuse the old true chassis numbers that predate the full VIN with these derived ones if the dash is missing, even though the vast majority of the three character combinations on the front should be a dead give away.

Brian

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, 17 January, 2017 - 16:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian, Thanks heaps for that. Your presumption is spot on.
I learn a little more every time I log in here and I appreciate all you guys heading me in the right direction.

Mark Luft
New User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 18 January, 2017 - 06:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures and experiences. I doubt I'll ever get to the Peninsula Hotel, but through your pictures, I feel like i've been there. Thanks again.
Mark

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 908
Posted on Wednesday, 18 January, 2017 - 07:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your kind words Mark.

It was a great experience, and a high point for any Rolls Royce nut such as myself.

These images were just from my phone for ease of uploading to the forum whilst there.

If you are interested in any high res images of the cars, I have plenty if you (or anyone else) would like them emailed.

Below is an image of Anthony the Duty Manager & myself.

Good shot to show the sheer size of one of these Phantoms.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 909
Posted on Wednesday, 18 January, 2017 - 14:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another beautiful Rolls Royce I snapped in Hong Kong. This time a Lovely Ghost in charcoal at the Ritz Carlton after a visit to the highest bar in the world, the Ozone Bar.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 910
Posted on Wednesday, 18 January, 2017 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another customer at the Peninsular.
Bentley Continental GT.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, 18 January, 2017 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I first saw the new style RR and Bentley I have to admit I didn't like them one bit, partly because I like all things old. Even Benny is too new.

However the more I see of the new styling the more it's growing on me.

Thanks for sharing these Patrick, I am enjoying them more and more.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 911
Posted on Wednesday, 18 January, 2017 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Alan,
I like taking & sharing car images.

Yes, I think there are a lot of people in the same boat as you.

However, the new model cars have been around a good while now and have earned their stripes many times over.

They certainly have changed people's opinions, and have brought a whole new genre of people to what once was a very small market segment.

I love em all, old and/or new.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 13:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

What a great story and trip. Couldn't be more jealous.

All in British Racing Green! I have to tell you I am now very seriously considering painting the Shadow to BRG this spring.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 971
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 15:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross

You're the man to do it mate.

I might come and visit and keep the paint stirred for you

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 13:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

If you're in the neighborhood, I'd take you up on that. There might even be a Smithwicks in it for you.

This page has the magic formula. 25% gloss black Rustoleum, and 75% Hunter green Rustoleum cut with 30% acetone.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 976
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 16:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First of all Ross.
I'm the best stirrer around!

Second:
I'm disappointed your not using tractor paint.

Third:
Why the hell havnt I heard about this????

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,Patrick, I think the Starfire BRG just may match the color on the Smithwicks caps. Maybe not at first, but I'll bet by the sixth bottle, it'll be a perfect match.
Enjoy that sixpack!
Mark

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 12:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh, there might be tractor paint involved.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 263
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 12:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh, there might be tractor paint involved.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 15:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear!

Well, I'm your mixing man

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: