Leather upholstery and full blown ins... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Leather upholstery and full blown insanity « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 625
Posted on Tuesday, 25 October, 2016 - 05:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there jetsetters and international intentional scallywags.

Errkk! I have my evil eye on a Singer 142K6 industrial sewing machine for 2.5k wallaby dollars.

Actually, its probably a 132k6 as I can find zero mention on the net of a 142k6.

Naturally, I am looking at doing my own cars' leather work. The Camargues leather is 98 percent perfect but the Jaguar and Chrysler 300K need work.

This will entail learning a new trade by myself but I have already done panel beating and spray painting to the extent that my work is as good sometimes better than what you get for mega bucks and or strange prices. These trades I self taught myself though I did spend short times working unqualified.

I have an ambition to replicate the quality of Shadow leather as I have never seen any car with such precise leather work. I intend to go through ten grands worth of leather before considering giving up.

Has anybody out there attempted this type of foolishness themselves???

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, 25 October, 2016 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm building up to it. I have a few old industrial machines and I was thinking to practice on cheap leather, but it will act differently under the foot and if the results are OK then it is still cheap. So I will be buying the best and wasting it until I get an acceptable result. Though I suspect my standards are considerably lower than yours. I'm not even that happy with my fabric sewing but, like yourself, I would rather do it myself imperfectly and learn than pay someone else and perhaps still be a bit dissatisfied. Of course there are 'perfect' trimmers out there but well beyond my means. I tried to find a TAFE course but to no avail.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, 25 October, 2016 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl
If your sanity returns and you decide to use a motor trimmer, I can recommend Coastal Auto Upholstery, in Moffat beach, his work is excellent and prices reasonable
http://www.coastalautoupholstery.com.au/

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, 25 October, 2016 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad and Carl,

Make sure the machine is a walking foot. Wherever there are sail boats, there are walking foot machines and those who can use them.

Sails and boat seats in vinyl need periodic refreshing.

Good luck with the job, it is always great to see people DIYing such things.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, 25 October, 2016 - 15:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree whole heartedly here with Ross.
More power to you guys.
Would like to be helping/observing while you guys go for it.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Wednesday, 26 October, 2016 - 05:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A cheap source of leather is old sofas

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 626
Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2016 - 14:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Over ten years ago I got a figure of $16,000 AUD to re upolster the interior of a Shadow. I suspect the figure would now be closer to $30,000.

Hence, being a hands on person who has self trained in other trades apart from mechanics I see having a crack at upholstery makes more financial sense than other hobbies such as permanent pickling by alcohol.

I think it must be an experience of great personal satisfaction to turn the interior of classic car back to its original state.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: