Buying a first RR -Netiquette & VIN n... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Buying a first RR -Netiquette & VIN numbers. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Yet to post message
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 12:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

Just to introduce myself. My name is Jeff and I am in the process of researching my first purchase. I have the VIN of one prospective SSI which is on the market - it comes (allegedly) from a deceased estate and complete with an RROC membership badge!

Is it okay on these forums to post the VIN number with a view to getting some history? I already know it was delivered to the bond stores in Sydney (for York Motors)on March 7 1974.

Thanks also everyone for providing such a great resource for those of us putting our toe in the water for the first time. In fact, for me, this purchase will be my first (and hopefully last)ever car. I'm turning 50 in a week or so and learned to drive last year. Does anyone know the best way to attach P plates to a shadow ? ;-)

Cheers,

Jeff

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 903
Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2007 - 23:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey/ Let us have the chassis number (SRH XXXXX)and its location (just the city will do).

Jeffrey McCarthy
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2007 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill, thanks for the response.

SRH17381 Brisbane. Delivery from the bond
stores in Sydney in 1974 to York Motors.

Do you think this would likely have the 3-gear transmission?
I've booked it in for an pre-purchase inspection with a guy in Brisbane called Stan Burrows & am talking to a reputable Sydney garage about negotiating a realistic price - IF it's not a heap of scrap. Otherwise I'm happy to keep looking for another year or so -- I'd want, in any case, to do a complete hydraulics overhaul & replace the Pitman arm in the first 2 months to at least deal with those headaches first off, then spend the next 5 to 10 years restoring it.

I live down on the Western slopes of the Snowy Mountains and am currently refurbishing an 18 x 6 metre brick shed (one of the old Snowy scheme ablution blocks) as a 'project car' workshop.

Meanwhile I'm just having fun reading & researching (absolutely love the DIY philosophy behind Tee Two).

Any advice you can give is appreciated. I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers, Jeff

Jeffrey McCarthy
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2007 - 10:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oops - I meant Tee one !

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 905
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2007 - 10:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff/ Thanks for the compliment. I don't know the Brisbane gentleman but I hope he is well versed in Roycery. I would prefer to use Stephen Sparks at NBS in Brisbane as these cars are his bread and butter and it is likely he will know the car!

It certainly is a GM400 transmission. The hydramatics are very rare and only on the very very early car. I wouldn't rush to buy a new Pitman arm - get the old one x-rayed etc. Breakages are not that common. Otherwise good luck maybe we will see you in Canberra sometime?

Jeffrey McCarthy
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 28 May, 2007 - 13:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again Bill,

Apologies for the delay & thanks for the 'heads up' - my reply of last night seems not to have made it through the internet gremlins. I spoke to Stephen this morning and received a wealth of good advice. As this is my first car purchase I've decided that for now I'm out of my depth somewhat and will research further before buying. I have given Stephen and another very reputable guy in Sydney my details and wish list/spending timetable and am working on keeping patient :-)

Cheers, Jeff

P.S. Thanks for the invitation, I'll get there eventually !

bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: client-81-108-179-183.brig.adsl.tesco.net
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2007 - 21:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have SRH 17668. So your car will have near enough the same spec.

I do 3,000 miles a year and about the same in a Cherokee.

I have owned my car for 18 years last week and the only time a garage has worked on it in my ownership was when the MOT guy ran it into a Ford.

The car has been more or less trouble free and the only problems encountered have been because I did not know what was wrong.

You are in a much better position in respect of technical info than I was.

If you are going to DIY which is very possible then you will find the workshop manual in the technical section of this forum very important, because I have found that in 18 years of mucking about with Shadows that most faults are a result of in correct servicing this applies very much to the brakes and ride hieght bits. So its well worth studing in detail the hydralics. Because I know exaclty how the hydraulics work on my car I never have any fears when they mis-behave.

I use my Shadow as a general purpose car ( on LPG ), with a Cherokee (Petrol) for the dirty stuff and any towing.

After 18 years I must say that "When the quality remains the original cost is long forgotten." ( slight mis-quote ).

As an added bonus my car is worth about £8,500 which is £360 less than I paid for it.

The car has loss £20 a year which I will probaly get back when I pack up driving because the values are slowly creeping up. ( check out what happened to the value of Clouds in the 1970's )

I have spent including tyres but excluding fuel insurance tax about £5,000.

It has been a cheap car.

Also I am amazed that such a heavy car is so light on the tyres. For the last 3 MOT's the tester has said the rear tyres are getting close.I expect to replace this year at £85 each which is about the same as the Jeep which seems to scuff the front insides.

I am almost certain that I have been offered good jobs because I have turned up in a Royce ( I do a lot of free lancing - Design engineer when that gets tight I fall back on machining )

Overall my onwership of the car has made me money and made me smile.

What more could you want from a car.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jeffrey McCarthy
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2007 - 18:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH20396 in Launceston Tasmania.

Has anyone come across this car at all ? It has recently had new springs, new shocks and new heads added by Goldstar in Launceston, who I'm not familiar with - are they known as one of the 'good guys' ? The car has recently converted back from LPG and has a new s/s muffler. I'll give more detail tomorrow after I've spoken to Goldstar. Intermittant window operation indicates, I assume, either serious electrical work needed ...or windows need attention. Any comments much appreciated.

I've emailed the RROC-A to find out about getting someone to 'propose & second' me for membership. Is this usually complicated in the NSW branch?

Cheers, Jeff

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, 13 June, 2007 - 02:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff,
I'm not familiar with the car but to answer your question in regards to getting a proposer and seconder for membership, I don't think you should have too many troubles. Geographically speaking, there is a Tasmania Section of the Victoria Branch of the R-ROCA and IVAN PEARSON heads up that particular section of the club and I know he would be more than happy to help you.
His contact details are 03 62253084 or 03 62253084.Alternatively you can email the Victoria Branch mail@rrocavictoria.org.au

Needless to say that your preferences maybe with the NSW Branch and they will also welcome you aboard. we are all good guys after all.

Jeffrey McCarthy
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, 13 June, 2007 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that Robert. Where I live actually makes either the Victorian or the ACT branch the most practical choice in terms of driving distance; I'm more interested in the self-help group side of things than the rally/concours aspect. I'll have chat with Ivan next week to see what the rules are. Also a long-term member of the club has generously invited me to look at one of his cars, which I will do soon. Much more practical than trying to get serious information from sellers/dealers advertising on the net. Cheers, Jeff

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, 13 June, 2007 - 23:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No problems Jeff, If you live in NSW, it might be prudent to join the ACT Branch if it is closest but it depends where you are. In any case any of these branches are well worth joining for the camaraderie of like-minded people and seeing other fabulous motorcars.

I’m with you on the self-help bit though and it would definitely pay you to look though TEE ONE TOPICS which you will find in the Technical Library of this Forum.

I also head up the Victorian Branch of the Self-Help group and we meet every second month. If you would like me to add you to my Crewe’d Jottings email list, please send me a private message with your email address.