Reverse cameras Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Reverse cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 968
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 05:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whilst buying 20 litres of antifreeze at Euro parts for £36 inc VAT. I noticed reverses camera kits for £50 each.

So I have brought 3 at 120 plus VAT. I got a discount for buying 3.

One for the rear view and the other 2 in place of door mirrors.

The middle one will look through a clear bit in the number place.

The side ones will be mounted between the front bumper and the body where the bumper curves around the wing.
The cameras are 1" diameter. If more room is required I simply put spacers between the corner and centre bumper.

The screens are 4 " square.

I have no aerial or mirrors which gives PURITY OF LINE.
THIS MAKES A HUGE DIFERENCE TO THE APPEARANCE OF THE CAR WITHOUT THE ONLOOKER KNOWING WHY.

I am eventually going to show the car. A best at an event makes the car worth more.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 07:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let me know which show you enter so I don't enter the same one to disappoint you lol
Mike

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 971
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 13:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What! How dare you I shall gob on your mascot you nasty beast. My mum warned me about people like you.

Paris Retro. Too late for this year. I will do the Bourmouth wheels one though. However I won't win any thing there because the Judges don't like " snob cars" and favour cheap cars that have been lovelingly restored by a bloke with a pipe and andenoids problems. One guy told me he wouldn't have a roller if you paid me because despite what people say they are unreliable and your lucky to make ten miles before the car overheats. I had just driven to Scotland and back to sell my wife's derelict farm. Shes a Campbell. On the way back I went to 90 mph for 40 miles because we need the bog. And yes the car blew up. Of course not , the car just purred alone with me assuming the engine was still running. When fuel warning comes on or the LPG gauge goes red.. Fill car up and off we go again. 800 miles in three days. We stayed at the 4 star pub hotel, which I didn't think much of. The next night we slept in the car. Shadow are excellent for sleeping in. The andenoids bloke was an idiot who thinks that people can't see he is talking out of his Morris Minor exhaust. So I didn't tell him how to stop Morris Minor clutch judder. He said all minors have clutch judder. More rubbish. He said to get a Minor to start first time electronic ignition is necessary. The engine is an A series and one of the best starters ever even with wrong plug gap dodgy points and every thing else. A swing on the handle and it's starts. I have had a lot of Minors. They used to go for £25 and were disposal able cars, and cheaper than one train ticket. I never bothered with mot and tax, just 3rd party insurance, about £30 a year. If the car broke down leave the car with keys in and sign saying free car help yours selves and buy another for £25. £50 got a mint one. A weeks wages was £40 for a crafts man. Cheap motoring. I laugh when as a first car the kids pay out £5000 for a car. I can get mint older Nissian Micras with a years Mot for £300. The Mirca is a very very reliable car. Change the oil every 15k miles and check the brake linings every 20k. The rear last for at least 200k miles so only the wheel cylinder needs a check. The parts are available every where and a set of pads is £4 from discount motor factors. Leave the plugs until it misfires 30k miles later, Or run the car for say 3 years and don't bother lifting the bonnet. It won't break down. It like a Honda 50 Cub or Honda CG 125, both these engines will happily run on used chip frying oil. Water or urinating in the engine does damage the engines after a 100 miles or so. But they made 50 million Cubs and 40 million CGs. So if the bike goes wrong just leave at side of road and buy another. I got 80 mph lying on the tank and held it for 15 miles until a hill got me. A police bike behind said ( the copper not the bike talking) he was willing me on to hold the 80 mph because after the hill is 50 miles of slight down hill or flat across the Salisbury plain. I cops won't Nick you for speeding at 80 mph especially as the speedo was lying and I was actually doing 74mph in a 70 limit. He said 10 % for speedo error allowance plus 3 mph to be fair. When people say they got done for 33 mph in a 30 limit they are lying because the too fast is 37 mph in a 30 limit and 81 in a 70 mph limit. Get nicked for speeding is just stupid. Also the police will not Nick unless they can time the speeder over at least 1 mile. So it's ok to go to say 90 briefly. But the buggers are using Radar but radar is known to give dodgy readings so the crown prosecution service are likely to drop it if the speeder argues or the cops have misspelt a word. In any case
The fine for 20 over is about £100 and 3 brownie points on the old licence. 12 points is a ban but disabled people don't get banned on topping up unless ones takes the mick. Never argue with the copper be nice so the copper thinks he has got you, then argue it with the CPS. Arguing with the copper warns the copper to be carefull. If you put him off buy being helpful and nice and polite the copper could muck up the procedure which means no charges. I have been told off only many times by police for goin a little bit too fast. Just don't take the mick. At 90 mph in any vehicle I start thinking about the tryes and how a tyre could just pop. So I don't go any faster than 80 mph ever. London is 80 mins from where I live. So easy peasy in any case I always leave 3O mins early if it's a set time or its I get there when I get there. Last time it took 3 hours because I went to Tring first to look at a Jag Mk 9 3.4 litre. Which was delist almost, the owner said over the phone that it wasn't too bad but the engine smokes bad, what a tool I am bound to see the car, Did he think I wouldn't notice no leather or veneer left and six inches of door bottoms rusted out and a slagging chassis. The smoking engine is no problem and about 10 hours work. If it was good car I would do the engine over a week end no problem I have over hauled about 200 XK engines and they are about the same as doing say a Cortina except 2 extra cylinder adds 5 mins to the time and the engine comes out in an hour. Yawn easy peasy. He wanted 15k because the mk 9 is a rare car. Not true. They made more Mk9s than a Shadows.
Cars can be rare because they were over priced rubbish that nobody in their right would buy. Example Chysler 180 is very rare because only a hand full were sold world wide because it had no identity and looked pug ugly. There is absolutely no reason to buy a 180 because it does nothing better than the Cheaper Cortina does and a 2 litre cortina is a much better car. A cop told me that a well driven 2 litre cortina is hard to catch even with a Rover V8 or a Ferrari F 40 because the gear box is the slickest gear box ever made and the handling although bad by convential standards could corner on one wheel and that's the spare especially if the driver has robbed a bank. Flat tryes won't stop the car until the rim actually fall off. If the rear tryes are still have pressure the car will ,still go 110 mph on the disks. Steering works ok with no wheels but the under steer is exaggerated a wee bit.

Why is gauge not spelt gauge or gage. Gu age is the pronunciation.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, 17 April, 2016 - 02:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, concerning your reverse cameras, would you be able to post a link to the make & model of those cameras? I've been looking for such a system for a while because I am tired of respraying the rear bumper (it's in the body color, Corniche) on a yearly basis.
Thanks!
JP

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 972
Posted on Sunday, 17 April, 2016 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes no problem.

Any one who wants cameras just post on this thread. Remembering more cameras means cheaper.

£50 is cheap any way.

Cameras are prone to misting up so I need to fit and wash car before any body buys

If you want I can buy them and post them to you call it £60 for post and packaging.

I send you the camera(s) and when you are completely happy send me a cheque

If you don't pay the forum will not talk to you. I won't chase anything less than £500.

I haven't fitted them yet due to pimping up the jeep

I will post Photos of the working installation.

The idea is to get rid of the clutter of 2 door mirrors. The passenger mirror is particularly awkward to use.

The radio aerial hole is now filled with filler using a bit of cloth impregnated with filer for strength. Should any body wish to have an aerial, I have left the aerial behind the inner mudguard, the filler is simply drilled out. To get a perfect flush undectible fix the edges of the hole have been dressed down by about 10 thou. 0.010 inches. The aerial chrome nut will cover the dress down. Also the wiring and switch is still in place except the switch which is still connected but behind the dash. The circuit has been disconnected from its supply.

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2016 - 03:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
Thoughtn you may like to see how I fitted my camera and screen.
Mike

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2016 - 03:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The camera and screen was only £19 from ebay item 111394760400
Cheers
Mike}

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2016 - 04:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thought you may like to see how I fitted my camera and screen.

Yes, definitely.

I've just checked out the ebay reference. What is the quality like. Is the camera fully waterproof?
Is the picture quality good? Is it illuminated all the time or have you connected it
through your reverse lights switch?

Thanks for putting the pics up.

It's got me thinking that a unit like this with record facility could be used in conjunction with a dash cam.
The rear view doubles as a reversing camera. I think I need to check out what's on the market these days.

Geoff

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2016 - 05:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff
The quality is very good but you know how taking a picture with your phone distorts the image.
The screen is only illuminated when in reverse as video signal comes from camera powered from reverse lights ok
Cheers
Mike

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2016 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks mike, I have just ordered one for my Defender.
Mark

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2016 - 18:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark
Hope your impressed as I was.
You may need to extend the video cable ,I did for the Bentley but I don't think a defender is quite as long?
Best wishes
Mike

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 994
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2016 - 09:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

it doesn't get cheaper than £19.

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, 23 June, 2016 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all
Just added a front parking camera to watch for those low curbs and bollards, it switches to the rear automatically too 😊
Mike

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2016 - 06:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unfortunately I had to go to hospital. Due to mistakes made by me my wife and the nurses and the doctors I started on the loony tunes and spent a horrific 4 days in an imaginary plot to sell electricity using a vacuum in water. The problem was that the super villian couldn't find me because I was hidden in a hospital ward and the food was drugged to make me talk.

If felt so real.

At one stage there was these lumps of metal that moved underground, they looked like solid steam locomotives with no moving parts. I questioned a nurse because I was convinced he was a British Army signals officer, Charlie radio. I also asked if I had been exposed to radio activity. The nurses had to sedate and talk to me. By Saturday I started to come back to realality. A nurse was singing boom boom how how and my brain sort of started picking up Louie Louie and the Kingsmen. Then I started to talk to a 74 year old about the finer points of insurance.

I think EU wise we have done the right thing. We have taken back the house keys. We can invite others but if we don't like the cut of your jib, we can say so ask you to leave.
It also allows us to not only protect our own people but visitors and a guests as well.

I have become a great grand father. The little boy is called Tyreece. He is of African decent.

One two three four give me 4 hugs.
Five six seven I will never forget.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2016 - 06:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And another Plantagenet added to our rich history.

Recently I explained a bit of our history to a bright as a button 12 year old Muslim lad and he said he likes our history and added the English can certainly " kick ass " and these stupid misguided boodythisrty fanatics are going to seriously come stuck. I said slow down tiger.
He showed me a flag which he has designed, a combination of the Union and Red crescent which he wants for mosques.

Just an idea that passed through my brain.
Reunite southern and northern island with England and use Ireland as access for the Euro. Shake hands and make up.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2016 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob I knew something had happened to you,I knew it would hard for you to not say something about all the A/C stuff that needed sorted, Also a whole heap of over heating problems, Glad to have you back and hope your health improves quickly.

Richard.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2016 - 08:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

Welcome back and if you go through forum posts for the time you were away, you will see messages concerning your absence and also looking forward to your contributions.

Your last post mentioned you were going to Ireland and I was beginning to wonder whether you had been kidnapped by leprechauns or worse.

However, your stay in hospital reveals you certainly have a vivid and creative imagination.

Also congratulations on the safe arrival of your great grandson:

One two three four give me 4 hugs.
Five six seven I will never forget.

How true and an expression I will also use for my grandchildren .

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 708
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 05:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

welcome back Bob.
nice to have you back.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 07:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome back.

Now, about this underwater vacuum for generating electricity..........

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The ditty I wrote does swim around a few well Known other compositions such as Tom Robinson band.

The little lumps of metal underground were called shove bolts.

me comming back on line is an example of how music is iressitible to me. That rhythmic beat unlocked my brain.

I would like to ask Chris Miller to keep the correct alternator on his car because it is a good robust machine that gives little trouble. The GM unit is an ok machine but carry on like this and you end up with half a RR and half of another car.
The colour is a dark duck egg blue on my car which is it not quite right but looks nice. I did a one off mix in enamel. I may redo . It's a mix of blue white black.

I am pleased that Chris Miller is gradually "getting it"
Study the regulator and how it works. Spend an hour drawing the circuit in colour from the circuit diagram. Understand what battery reference voltage means. Or watch brain dead TV.

A thousands thanks for you lot. For being so kind.

I managed to upset a French guy by joking about double parking the French fleet ( to stop Admiral Donitz getting it )but a Portugese nurse started laughing when the French guy hits me in the forehead with a with a pellet of paper. The French guy was chuckling away for an hour and gave a us a song no regrets with me voicing the basic music.

The guy in the next bed phoned the police about someone blowing up the hospital with me and another telling him he was imagining things and we are here.

The nurses pulled out all the stops for me. 7 day 12 hour shifts.

My son came home to find a car parked across the drive a women said you southern softies etc etc. So my said I don't hit women or say such things.

My son Thomas has been promoted at work to social assistant in the hostel. I am very proud he really does care.

Our local authority has decided to bribe people to go from Bournemouth, we are unhappy with this because then what , drunk homeless some where else. When we find a dead one we should take the council to the where the dead was found and make them look. Show them a dead baby in the gutter. And while in their warm beds dream sweet dreams.

At the moment the new babies family are a bit anti my family but I shall offer a firm handshake, and give it time. As per usual we have the Facebook trouble makers not thinking before they make comments. Some are just sad people who like to cause grief.

Thousands thanks.
If there is no God then we would have to invent one.

Crohn's is a cruel thing because is doesn't kill. I can be fatal due to complications such as losing 30 % body mass in a year. At the moment I am 89kg and 5ft 10 so I am holding my own.
This is caused by the mental fear of food and I don't absorb protein carbs etc. Trouble is there is only so much me before body mass causes big problems. 70kgs and life could get much harder.
I am walking and keeping myself clean unaided so on the mend again.

Unfortunately my Cousin Big Dixey ( security guard for Joe Cocker, beach boys and others has passed.
He could lift 440 lbs , a gentle person who lifted whole people up and removed them when they got a " bit cheeky "

I remember him walking across the stage a scooping up a fan in a fire mans lift. The band was pedal to metal and the overexcited fan sort of just disappeared. So smooth. Also he pushed a big guy in the middle of the chest and the big guy ran backwards for 50 ft and fell over. The big guy put his hands up got off the stage in submission.

I met a fellow who sat on a bench in Piccadilly Circus London for 4 days. He fell off the bench dehydrated and spent 4 months trying to remember who he was. He heard Terry Wogen and snapped back on line in about 5 mins.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: