The Veyron is dead ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » The Veyron is dead ... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 914
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2016 - 22:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

... long live the Chiron

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2016 - 00:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder if the emissions figures are correct?
Mike

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 429
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2016 - 06:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes its as fast as it is ugly and its very fast.

At a shade under two million UK pounds I hazard a guess that you need to get drunk as a lord before ordering any parts so that when you learn of the price you are desensitised to the hilariousness of the situation.

Personally I would like one and I have roads nearby where 267 miles per hour would be possible.

Then again what would be left of you when you hit a cow or even a small wallaby at that speed? I'd guess that you would not be in need of an ambulance anyway because even a large grasshopper would bust up the windscreen at that speed.

It would be fun while it lasted.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2016 - 13:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

At least I know there's one other person in the world who thinks that the Bugattis of recent production are, well, ugly. Every bit of "sleek" is removed by the endless need for edges and scoops that just don't do a thing for any car.

Jaguar of the mid-1990s to mid-2000s knew how to do homage well. Others seem to get it, too. The modern Bugatti never has. Sticking a saddle shaped grille onto a squashed monstrosity has never made me think, for a single second, that I want one, let alone must have one (even in pure fantasy mode).

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2016 - 17:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

...and if the lame dude making a fashion statement in the T-Shirt had gotten out of the way, we could have gotten a better look at the car...

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2016 - 20:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't think it was the lack of homage that did it. Aston Martin managed to invent a whole new look with their DB7 and Vanquish (the 1st generation Vanquish being, in my opinion, their high-water mark to date).

I didn't find the Veyron ugly, but like Brian, it never "spoke" to me. (I thought Audi was more successful with the basic shape in their R10.)

Which is a shame, as if we -were- in fantasy mode, a 1930s Bugatti would be at the very top of my list....

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2016 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

... meant R8 in that last post, not R10...

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2016 - 00:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If Dr Frankenstein had turned his talents to automobiles, this is what he would have come up with. I suppose our innate desire to resurrect the dead even extends to long lost motoring marques like Bugatti. Let them rest in peace.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2016 - 02:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have seen just this week a report that the Veyron lost Volkswagen 2.08 Billon Euros over the whole duration of its production.....

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 431
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2016 - 03:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ouch, that will sting along with the financial smack from the US EPA and the tidal wave of lawyers coming out of the woodwork for their scalps with the very naughty but completely hilarious escapade of suspicious test avoiding software in certain models.

Who would have thought that our German friends were capable of such an prank ?

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, 21 March, 2016 - 04:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

During the 10 years of its production some 450 Veyrons were built and sold at someting over 1 Million Euros a piece. That leaves a deficit of some 4.5 Million Euros per car.....
The above mentioned study concentrates on European cars only. The most unprofitable car was the Smart Mk 1, hurting Mercedes with 3.35 Billion Euros. Next in the list is the Fiat Stilo at 2.1 Billion Euros, closely followed by the Bugatti.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: