Gear selector safety SZ & SY Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Gear selector safety SZ & SY « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 00:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had my old Bentley run away once ,I got out to move something from behind and accidentaly knocked the gear selector it went to D and shot off with me running behind it!
Fortunatley it hit a kerb and a tree which slowed it sufficiently for me to jump in and jump on the footbrake !
Very frightning.
I then modified it by fitting a solenoid plunger behind the selector lever that moved out of the way when the foot brake was applied to take it out of park.
I'm now looking at modifying my new one some way.
before the solenoid I fitted was from R.S. I think it was like this
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-d-frame-solenoid/0347652/
I removed the pin from the back but extended the plunger at the front to stop the gear selector being moved.
Sorry I can't find any pictures.
I think it was Geoff who suggested doing this electricaly but I can't think of a way to enable the selector only when the brake is applied?
I'll keep thinking.
Cheers
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 539
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 01:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do you have a standard steering wheel?
I once tried a Momo wheel on my Turbo RL and got the same problem that you reported. I had to put a spacer behind the wheel to get adequate clearance. If you have the standard steering wheel then your lever is bent. You need to ensure adequate space between your fingers and the lever otherwise the driving experience is awful.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 01:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy

Re: "I am most dissatisfied with the selector lever in the '77 Wraith: it is too close to the steering wheel and I have hit it several times with my fingers while turning. I have to do something for safety's sake but I'm not certain what."

What is the clearance between the steering wheel and the selector stalk. On my SY1 it is 2 1/8" and has never caused me any problems.

Geoff

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 04:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will have to measure; however this has not been an issue on the 1970 Shadow.
The cruise control is part of the lever on the Wraith II, which may account for the difference. It closely resembles a generic cruise control stalk-switch from the era, as well, so it may be replaceable.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are two data points, and the results surprised me, measurements from back of standard steering wheel to leading edge of gear selector stalk end:

SRH33576 - 1978 Silver Shadow II - UK Spec
Gear selector in Park - 2.0 inches
Drive - 2.5 inches

LRK37110 - 1979 Silver Wraith II - US Spec
Gear selector in Park - 1.5 inches
Drive - 2.0 inches

Brian

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 13:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

on the 1970 Shadow, the lever is about 3 inches forward of the steering wheel; on the Wraith II it was no more than 1/2 inch away.
I noticed there is a bend in the lower end of the shaft of the lever; this moved the end of the lever close to the steering wheel. I moved it to low and attempted to bend it away from the wheel; it simply twisted instead of bent, so that the bend is not moving the lever closer to the wheel, but rather it holds the end of the lever higher than the end at the column. No doubt this is as the Factory intended, and the lever had become moved somehow over the years.
In short: Problem solved! Ta Da!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: