Even after 40 years they still "pack ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Even after 40 years they still "pack a punch" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Howlett
Experienced User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2012 - 19:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I felt compeled to write today after a funny responce from a person walking past my 1972 silver shadow today parked in the carpark across from my work."I'm in retail".This person and his immaculatly dressed female companion pulled up along side the parked Rolls in the latest all wheel drive Audi.The wheels and tyers looked like a years wages"well to me anyway".As they opened the door to get out'the stare from both of them was unforgetable.I was standing out in front of my shop "having a ciggie" when I heard the gentalman say "somebody is ripping off customers" to be able to buy that.I thought too myself; this 40 year old car and still has the pressence that new car just car'nt rival even though the Audi costs 4 times or more.I'll go to bed tonight knowing that even someone thats "POV0" "thats me" an enthusist can can feel special by having the privlage of owning a Rolls Royce

Nigel Johnson
Frequent User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2012 - 07:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah Robert, the GREEN EYED MONSTER. Wonderful isn't it.
Regards, Nigel.

Simon Clarke
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.21.66
Posted on Tuesday, 07 August, 2012 - 09:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This doesn't surprise me at all. How many Rolls Royces do you see in public car parks? In the public's perception, Rolls Royces are only owned by millionaire businessmen, famous celebrities, royalty or heads of state.

The brand has such a powerful image in respect of engineering excellence and perfection that a Rolls Royce will always trump any other car, and it doesn't matter how old it is. In many ways, the older it is the greater respect it commands, as it achieves a 'classic' status. Thanks to the brand reputation, the imposing radiator grille and the famous mascot, no other car has such a commanding presence as a Rolls Royce.

There is only one car that can trump a Rolls Royce, and that is another Rolls Royce.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, 08 August, 2012 - 19:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 1976 Shadow 1 cost me about half the current cost of a basic, no frills Mini One. I wouldn't swap it for 2 of them! No other car brings the same driving satisfaction and (at least on the continent) smiles and waves from passers by.

Just another couple of hundred hours work and she'll be ready to put back on the road ...

Michael Hicks
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, 08 August, 2012 - 19:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

my Wife went to work one day in the (last Bentley Turbo) and her Boss said to her he must be paying her to much money she commented that it was a old car and not worth as much as his new Audi
He wasn't amused

richard george yeaman
Experienced User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, 09 August, 2012 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few weeks ago i was parked near a school a couple of 12/14 year old boys walked by my 1974 Silver Shadow one boy said cool car the other boy asked what is it, Its a Rolls Royce and its a beauty,I think that says it all.

Benoit Leus
Experienced User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2012 - 01:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My sons go to a school where a lot of children are dropped of in new Bentleys, Astons, Ferraris, Porsches, etc...
But it is indeed my '79 Shadow that draws the admiring glances and positive comments from my sons classmates.
It proves money doesn't necessarily buy class.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2012 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

to add to this....today while getting my 89 Turbo RL washed the 4 valets came up to me and asked if 'it would be alright if they had their photos taken beside the car'...a bit surprised I of course said thats fine. The 4 Audi A8's, 3 Mercs 500's a Ferrari and 2 other nice euros didnt seem to 'float the valets boat' but a 22 year old Bentley did....of course you can look at it another way in that it only appeals to 20 year old valets....but I dont think so do you.... :-)
J

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2012 - 15:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dare I observe of you lot that there appears to be a rather heavy dose of automotive onanism present here. It is no secret that I have little patience with owners whose sole interest in their car is the prestige that they feel it bestows on them!! This is a problem dare I say it that is manifest is so many of the clubs.

We recently had an owner return interstate after winning a concours but didn't make it as the engine seized. He hadn't, it is reported, checked the engine oil before he left. Some years ago a fully restored car came second in a large competitive concours lineup. The owner was livid at having spent so much money and not to win.

A couple of weeks later he, in the same car was pulled over for a roadside cursory safety check. The car apparently went home on the back of a truck!!

Only once have I been challenged in my car, an '84 Spur. It looks good and is in pretty good nick. Outside the local grocer's shop I was addressed 'waddayadrivethatpooftacarfor?' further observations alluded to the vast wealth I clearly commanded and what was wrong with driving a Holden or a Toyota or a Mazda etc. I am sorry I can't relate the exact words as I don't speak Bogan'! I managed to halt the tirade with an enquiry as to what his Holden cost and to my delight it was about $10K more than my antique. I also added that my car had been running for nearly thirty years and his for three!

Some people actually ask why I drive my car. Separately we have had in the last decade a small fortune tied up in a Lexus and a Toyota, both splendid comfortable cars with every reasonable gadget; but they are boring. My Spur is always ready to surprise me with a symptom often unique which can occupy most of my waking thoughts for days. That is the joy of motoring. It has broken down twice. Once for a failed fuel pump and the other for a shorting rotor in the distributor. Neither bit was made by Rolls-Royce which was comforting but not consoling particularly when standing on the side of a suburban road with more Bogans racing past screaming 'Get a Ford".

Otherwise the car is comfortable, powerful and quiet. For personal pleasure I advise admirers that when I drive it, it is like appearing in public, well dressed in a bespoke suit that is, to pinch that well known Kiwi Shoe Polish motto, 'Well worn but worn well! That's my little dose of the problem of our First Testament abuser!!

Nigel Johnson
Frequent User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2012 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was thinking that the other day. How much social prestige this will convey on me. When I was struggling to get the nearside manifold back on ACH 01253.
I'm that far down the scale I need all the help I can get!
My other cars are 280 Merc 1993 and Bmw 518 1995.I liked the reference to the Bogan. We have plenty round our way and they have guns!
Bill, you may remember Geoff's Corniche CRH11939. You gave us advice and encouragment about its brake overhaul four years ago. All done in a lockup garage (with a leaky roof) at our Masonic Hall.
Regards, Nigel.

Peter Talbot
Prolific User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2012 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel - perhaps you might seek addtional help from a Higher Authority by asking the Prelate to invoke a blessing on your labours - Peter

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2012 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am a seventy year old amature mechanic with an addiction to lying under cars,I just love grease and dirt busted knuckles and claustrophobia, I have owned SRH19529 for over a year now lots of work still to do, I also have a 1993 eight seater Vauxhall carlton Limo a 1998 SL Merc and a 1992 Jaguar XJS 4 Litre Manual I Probably am a Snob i go everywhere in my down at heel boots and wooly hat even in the RR That must be Automotive Onanism or Madness.

Richard.

Nigel Johnson
Frequent User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2012 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

He has done that already Peter.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2012 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ohhh Bill cmon!! sense of humor must always remain, I believe the gist of the thread was actually about what others thought of these ageing antiques rolling past, rather than us all believing they bestow some kind of mystical aura and snobbery on us, the actual owners...

and btw the cucumber sandwich mob, that Bill refers to, still look at the antiques floating past....dont kid yourselves!!

happy motoring all
J

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2012 - 23:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok. You are all beautiful and I am sure we are all on the same wave length. Richard, I follow your example and delight in getting out of a fairly presentable steed in my trackies, unshaven, unbathed and tired. I even do that at Government House when the senior steed needs consoling.

Great to hear from you all as James is so aware, the cucumber sandwich clan have to be corralled as much as possible.

OK. You did ask for it. 500 years when I wasdefending our country in America I attended an RROC rally somewhere within a day's drive of my home. I spotted in the immaculate grassed field a then very respectable Silver Dawn with one of its bonnets open. I was peering in when this borderline chinless specimen approached and indicated that he owned the car and radiated some concern that I was within touching distance of his vehicle.

By that time I had established that someone had fiddled with the earthing scheme for the chassis, visible beside the engine through the bonnet opening so I though as one enthusiast to another I would point out that there was an error!!! I explained the needed layout of earth straps and regaled him briefly on the possibility of his entire engine finishing up as a puddle of used electrolyte roughly located between the front wheels!

His reaction was akin to the advice that he had started micturating and that it was very obvious from where I stood! A brief pause, the face quickly composed and a very nice silk handkerchief was plucked from the fob pocket and used to dust the immaculate tappet cover. 'They get so dusty your know' he advised and shut and locked the bonnet! I required quite a bit of counselling to realign myself with the human race after that!

Pill time - must go!

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey, I like cucumber sandwiches.

(I'm a yank, though, so I'll likely never be admitted to the clan -- even if reading TeeOne hasn't already barred me for life.)

Jeff.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff

Ill have a nice piece of Atlantic Salmon with my cucumber sandwiches please and a pint of beer thanks, I was wondering have you had your car back yet.

cheers Richard.

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

Not quite yet. Still waiting on paint for the "character lines", a 5th tyre, and confirmation that the A/C was only leaking in one place. It'll hopefully be done by the end of the week.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 - 12:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to admit to a predeliction for cucumber in the occasional sarny. Sadly cumber is not as friendly to my upper digestive system. The ensuing eructions can be quite audibly obvious while the ... flavour ... isn't as pleasant on the second journey over my taste buds.

At least I have the constant need to dig litres/kilos of compacted dirt, dust, rust and oil from under my fingernails to show for my constant automotive DIY - not always with complete success! Meanwhile I have to make tracks to my stinking pit (bed) to get over a facefull of boiling caustic soda. It can't only be the several bevvies that are making my eyesight swim so badly.

Peter Talbot
Prolific User

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, 16 August, 2012 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I find owning and driving my 1986 Spirit is both fun and rewarding !!

The fun part comes when I go to our local Tesco supermarket, take up 4 parking spaces (2 wide + 2 deep), then come back after shopping to find a fan club of Dad and one or two lads. The lads love to sit behind the wheel, Dad takes photos, also asks to get behind the wheeel, and all admire the engine.

The rewarding part comes when we attend and support classic car shows held as Charity fund raisers. Sue and I, accompanied by a couple of friends, really go over the top - we dress up to look the part, set up a picnic table covered with antique lace tablecloth, silver place settings, silver candelabra, flower centrepiece arrangement, AND cucumber sandwiches and Pimms!!

It's a great time - families demolish the cucumber sandwiches and parents pile into the Pimms, photos all round, lots of bank notes into the Charity collection bucket.

Then there's the weddings - not everyone can afford a Rolls Royce for that special day and my ice green 1986 Silver Spirit, along with ribbons, makes a superb car for the bride.

My Insurers are quite happy about this provided I don't do it for profit or gain so the Father of the Bride gives me a small cheque made out to a Charity of my choice - everybody wins.

Peter

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, 19 August, 2012 - 09:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good god (and goddess)! The Duchess of Bedford is still warm in her grave and here you are putting the boot into the cucumber sandwich! It looks remarkably like political correctness run rampant.
Anyway, the cucumber sandwich gained more traction in Wilde's play than in real life...
Now, there are those of us who keep our cars in the best possible mechanical shape (drawing upon our own resources as far as possible), keep our cars polished and clean and enjoy using them as much as their makers intended. What would you call us? In my case the answer is simple; I am content.
Kind regards,
Brian Crump

Robert Howlett
Experienced User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, 19 August, 2012 - 17:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi folks
It was my intention to portay other people's perception on these classic cars.

Many times I have cut customers off mid sentance to grab the keys so pictures of kids sitting behind the wheel can be taken .cheers

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, 20 August, 2012 - 04:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indeed Robert, people do perceive our cars as interesting - and why not! I once parked the Spirit outside the paint shop in the only available spot which was reserved for delivery vehicles and returned to find a council ranger circling the car, infringement book in hand, clearly wondering if he should book it or not. His only comment was "Very nice car, sir." and I thanked him and fled before he could change his mind. Sydney City Council is renowned for turning a healthy profit based on parking infringements and I saw no need to boost their bottom line. Disclaimer: no I am not advocating illegal parking - but it's rather difficult to park too far away when you are loading 40 litres of paint into the boot and yes I did put plastic on the Wilton and NO gerbils were harmed in the process.....phew!
Regards,
Brian

Peter Talbot
Prolific User

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, 20 August, 2012 - 11:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The construction and presentation of cuecumber sandwiches is an art.

For the benefit of those lacking appreciation of the appropriate standards of construction and presentation:

Take 2x pieces sliced brown bread (white is really not on !!), butter each thinly, place peeled slices cucumber on one, salt lightly, cover with second bread slice, firm gently,cut off crusts, divide into 4 by diagonal cuts.

Peter

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Monday, 20 August, 2012 - 11:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

You forgot the fine china plate and cloth doily [never paper] to present the sandwiches .

Mark Taxis
Frequent User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, 20 August, 2012 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I always remember my father parking the Bentley around the corner from hotels on the continent, he maintained that if the reception desk saw the car he arrived in they would increase the price of the room

Peter Talbot
Prolific User

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David

Words almost (but not quite) fail me!! I hadn't realised that the efforts of generations to convey an appreciation of good taste to the antipodean masses had been so well received.

Having said that, and for the benefit of those less erudite than yourself, I probably need to post a follow-up explaining just what a doily is.

It's a real pleasure to know that Members of this Forum can exchange light hearted and good natured banter without causing offence.

Peter

Peter Dixon
Frequent User
Username: petenlinid

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 11:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chaps,as an English gentleman no longer can I resist "chucking another shrimp" on this barbie.

Appropriate doilies/doilys/doyleys/doileys were and are not cloth in the best homes but finely crocheted tea table mats. Bread for the purpose is always white, brown bread has its origins with the poor.

We could tolerate nothing less in either instance.

Peter

Peter Talbot
Prolific User

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 18:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter

Spoken like a true "Son of The Empire" - I stand corrected !! Maintaining my Spirit keeps me poor so perforce I have to use brown bread.

Peter

David Gore

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We have to move with the times - our diets are less robust and include more highly processed food than those of our ancestors; the use of brown bread to increase fibre intake should no longer be considered as identifying one as being lower class but an educated choice to enhance one's future health.

Vested interest declaration - I like multigrain bread but absolutely abhor cucumber!!!

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 380
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just why are you colonials stuck on the concept of the cucumber sandwich to the exclusion of a 'good cup of tea'? Leaf tea served from a proper teapot - after a suitable brewing time - into porcelain cups with matching saucers (milk first if you must, but preferably lemon or honey to taste).

Or has the practice of Tiffin been lost since we gave back the Empire On Which The Sun Never Set?

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Certainly most of our cucumber sammich outings here in Ireland are accompanied by a good cuppa, but my thoughts always wander to the two days of the year that are actually warm enough to break out the Pimms....

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 22:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I always thought the picnic set in the boot was to set up at odd roadside locations to distract attention from the fact that you were under the car trying to figure out if it was the fuel pump or the starter motor that failed this time ?

And the soggy bread and warm cucumber is carried as an emergency poultice for skinned knuckles...

Robert Howlett
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2012 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah yes I do remember days gone past,when Sunday was a family day.I remember the Sunday ritual to visit my grandmother who always made a great fuss of the eleven o'clock sandwitch, and tea served in her finest china with cloth doilies and a Tea cosy. Not sure how to spell that".I do miss that era.Now at 11 o'clock ,its a Big Mac in front of the TV with a Tea Towel tucked into my collar to stop tomato sauce dripping on my flannelette shirt.How times have changed...

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2012 - 11:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sat in my Bentley in my jeans and T shirt and no shoes (another Aussie trait)eating a pie and sucking on a Fosters and watching the faces of the plebs as they walk by.Now thats what I call fun!!!

Peter Talbot
Prolific User

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, 23 August, 2012 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think we have just about exhausted cuecumber sandwiches as a topic for discussion.

Why don't we move on to Marmite, another bastion of the Empire and Raj?

Peter

Robert Howlett
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, 23 August, 2012 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Peter

I do have a jar of marmite in the fridge along side Dick Smith Vegimite which I belive took many years to develop. I enjoy them both equally.Having married a woman of the Empire I was introduced to many products.As I'm typing she is yelling Horlicks don't forget that".Peronally I perfer a XXXX " thats Aussie for "beer" as a night cap.There are many things I love about England and rather have a fond taste for beef stew with yorkshire pud.
cheers

DAVID MICHAEL LEEDY
New User
Username: dleedy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 03 October, 2012 - 02:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

regards from east coast us....I own a 75 silver shadow and love love love the attention I get and thumbs up driving around...everyone thinks I'm some kind of celebrity even though I paid less than a used toyota....Why don't more people buy used rolls. They are reliable and the key to this is driving often. My mechanic told me to start the car every day which I do and drive it as often as possible...

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, 03 October, 2012 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David ...A wonderful example of a classic and she looks in good condition.

Cheers
RH

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, 03 October, 2012 - 13:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Your car is the "shorter twin sister" to my Silver Wraith II.

When I saw the photograph I did a double take. I hope that my car is happily motoring down the road at some point within the next year. I've been trying to revive her after 5 years of storage and far too little use before then.

Brian, who loves Silver Mink over Seychelles Blue

DAVID MICHAEL LEEDY
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 03 October, 2012 - 22:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I love the "longer" Silver Wraith but was so happy I bought the Standard Saloon (back in Jan 2009)...because when I got her home for the first time, it just barely fit in my 1 car attached garage. I didn't measure it prior and if it had been the Wraith, it wouldn't have fit. As far as reliability, in summer months, I try to drive the car daily, repairs made on this car since I bought it were a new starter,brake fluid resevoir leak repair, electrical repairs and new rear brake rotors. Apart from that, the car runs brilliantly and is very smooth and solid. I have driven luxury cars for a long time, especially cadillacs, but nothing comes close to the feel of the Rolls. Most noteworthy is the steering flow. Truly a "driver's car". I feel for you for the 5 year storage challenge. I presume that everything needed replacing in reference to the brake system. Funny story, the first week I bought the rolls, I parked it in my hilly driveway (whilst cleaning out the garage), and inadveradley put the car in neutral and rolled down my driveway - no brakes!! One dangerous attribute for these cars is the brakes don't work when engine not running. Yikes. I managed to roll it into my across the streets neighbors driveway with no incident barring a few heart miss beats....

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, 03 October, 2012 - 23:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I know what you mean as far as length of the car goes. I have a Shadow that just fits in my garage with a few things in front of it. I am going to have to clear out those few things if I am to have any hope of getting the Wraith II in there.

If your brakes are not working when the engine is not running then you have a very, very serious failure in your system. The accumulators should give you on the order of 10s of applications of the brakes in the event of a stall. Unless the car has been sitting for months (and even then, you should still have reserve unless the control valves have a very slow leak) your accumulators should have enough stored pressure to stop the car sans engine power. Have you ever done the "brake pedal test" to get some idea of the condition of your accumulators? If not, have a look at Silver Shadow Brake Issues: Your Help Would Be Appreciated! for details on how to do one and what you should expect.

Brian

DAVID MICHAEL LEEDY
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 23:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow. Thanks so much for the link, although the problem I described occurred the first week I owned the car in January 2009...and had since been repaired as there was a leak in the braking system and both #1 and 2 warning lights glowed. The car is far from perfect but does run very well. The project that I have been longing to do was a paint job. This car boasts the original paint job and shows some fading and chips. What's your feeling on painting a rolls?

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, 05 October, 2012 - 01:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Glad to hear the issue you had described is "in the past." From the way you worded it I wasn't sure whether it was ongoing or not, and if it was it needed to be addressed "immediately, if not sooner!"

Both of my cars have been repainted (though not by me). The 1978 SS-II was originally walnut brown and the PO chose to repaint it in a Range Rover color that is a beautiful cranberry-burgundy metallic. The repaint itself was spectacular and meticulous, the application of the clearcoat over the base was, shall we say, less so.

The 1979 SW-II was resprayed in its original Silver Mink over Seychelles Blue.

It is entirely possible to do a very nice repaint on a Rolls-Royce without going down to the bare metal, but that really depends upon what your original type of paint is and the condition of the body overall. Sometimes "interesting" things are found beneath the existing paint when sanding begins.

The subject of paint and what can go over what was recently "rerun" on the RROC-US forms. Here is a chart that I found that is very useful in telling "what's what" in that regard:

Paint Compatibility Chart

Brian

DAVID MICHAEL LEEDY
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, 05 October, 2012 - 10:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I appreciate the information. Now the challenge is picking out who should do the repaint. Who did you go to for a re-paint? A specialized shop or local contact?

David Gore

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Friday, 05 October, 2012 - 18:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David, the secret to a good paint job is meticulous preparation which, unfortunately, is expensive and the first item to be downgraded by a repairer wanting to quote what he thinks is a competitive price. The cost of finish spraying is relatively constant so variations in quotes invariably reflect the quality of the preparation.

If your financial circumstances permit, I suggest you get an hourly quote for preparation and proceed on this basis so you are paying for the actual work done rather than forcing the repairer to try and make allowances for the inevitable problems that arise as the existing paint is removed and the true condition of the underlying bodywork revealed. Past shoddy repairs/structural corrosion may have to be cut out and replaced before final preparation for painting can proceed. The repairer can proceed knowing he can do a quality repair without losing money on the job rather than doing a "bodge" job to keep his costs within the quoted price.

It is always good practice to get advice from other owners of classic/collector vehicles on the best-suited shop in your region for this type of work. An older tradesman who served an apprenticeship is usually a good sign that the shop has the experience and expertise needed to properly refinish your car.

David Gore

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Friday, 05 October, 2012 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some photographs from my archives of prior UK repairs before acquisition discovered by David Peterson on DRH14434 when repairing lower front guard corrosion. The metal used for the patches was metal cut from scrap drums welded over the remains of the original guard followed by copious amounts of filler and respraying. This repair lasted approximately 10 years before rusting reappeared.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Needless to say, David cut out the shonky work and made new repair sections to do a proper professional restoration.

DAVID MICHAEL LEEDY
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, 06 October, 2012 - 11:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's hard to believe the amount of rust damage was uncovered in these shots....I would love to see how it came out. How did it look prior to the removal of the "shonky" work. Was it very obvious?

David Gore

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Saturday, 06 October, 2012 - 16:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David, the car was originally delivered to an owner in Yorkshire and suffered the usual corrosion problems associated with salt de-icing of roads in winter. The car was imported in the mid-1980s by my father-in-law and the extent of the corrosion problems were discovered when the car had to be repaired following accident damage caused by a wayward driver from a region of the world well-known here for the poor driving standard of many of their inhabitants. There was visual evidence when the car was acquired that indicated the lower sections had been repainted and the under-body sealing recoated at some time before it was acquired. This was scheduled for future rectification. Rust break-through on the paint work started to become a problem several years later not long before the accident damage.

The car has since passed to new custodians and I do not have any photographs after the restoration. The repairer is a well-known member of our NSW Branch of the RROC[Australia] and his workmanship is well-respected - the finished appearance was high-quality and it was impossible to see any evidence of the repair/repainting.

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, 06 October, 2012 - 17:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had my Bentley T1 SBH17291 resprayed in two pack lacquer one colour( mitsubishi metallic silver).It was a back to bare metal job the original colour was Scots Pine,so the car had to be completly stripped down door trims, doors trunk lid etc etc seats out windscreen and back window out etc.The only rust was in the floor pans so new pieces were welded in.A beautiful job done by an exceptional and experienced tradesman at a cost of AUD11000.Well worth it.

DAVID MICHAEL LEEDY
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 07 October, 2012 - 00:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would have loved to see how it turned out. Oh well. Another issue I was curious about was interior leather seat issues. My front seats had some issues. When I purchased the car, the leather seemed very dry and I did treat them with leather restorer oil and they did get softer and the luster has seems to returned. There were spots on the front seat which had cracked and had torn about two inches. I did go to the local auto parts store and purchased a leather repair kit. It did seal the rip but it's not great. Any ideas to improve the quality of repair, not replace it entirely?

DAVID MICHAEL LEEDY
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, 12 October, 2012 - 01:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi. In reference to leather repair, I came across this
Company and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. http://www.leatherique.com/. Thanks and regards.

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, 12 October, 2012 - 01:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Leatherique is highly respected (and, by some, beloved) by many in the RROC-US. I have used their Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean and they are excellent products for reviving "dead" leather.

I have not used their dye kits, but many on the US forums have and seem to like them.

All that being said, there is *nothing* that can repair a 2-inch tear. You can do some strategic under-patching and use crack repair, but this is only a very temporary fix (at least if the visuals are your primary concern - it can hold things together and prevent further tearing for a while). Once leather is torn it's torn and there's not much else to do but replace if you want a permanent fix.

Brian

DAVID MICHAEL LEEDY
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, 12 October, 2012 - 01:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian. I suspected that there was no real "fix" but with today's technology, I thought maybe there was something. Now the challenge is to find the right replacement. It will be second on my agenda after a re-paint.

Vladimir
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 101.169.255.248
Posted on Friday, 08 February, 2013 - 06:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I spent one day last weekend cleaning and applying leather food to the interior of my 1977 Camargue and Jaguar 420G. My wife says she has never seen me more contented. Going closely over the interior of your car can bring joy and tears because you get up close to every interior nook and cranny and see things that are often overlooked when you drive of just sit in the cars. There is no doubt that a lot of people like to poke fun at Camargues but I doubt any of them have actually had a good look. The interior of the my Camargue is in very good condition and I don't expect to ever own another car that has had so much attention to detail invested by the manufacturer. There is a lot of leather and it's not just on the seats. The left hand interior door inside panel has a slight tear caused by the idiot who packed the transmission on the passenger side seat. I had indicated that the engine and transmission should be packed in the crates which I would pay extra for. The car arrived with the transmission on the seat albeit sitting on a thick piece of cardboard which rubbed the colour off the leather, the engine resting in the engine bay on top of the tie rod and the rest of the parts in the boot greasing the interior. I bought it from Gullwing Motor Cars which advertises many cars on the net. These people know a lot about how to sell cars but nothing about cars and especially nothing about how to pack them for the journey downunder. But overall I still reckon I got a good deal. On inspection the interior of the Jag comes no where near the quality of the Camargue as the Jag is except for the seats a wall of vinyl. My conclusion is Jaguar = Pretender, and Camargue = Well and Truly The Real Thing

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, 08 February, 2013 - 19:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir

"Hear Hear"for taking the risk on your marquee;a most wonderful piece of hand made engineering.Sad to hear that the gearbox sitting on the seats,thats a act of vandalisim in my book".Well we must hook up somtime; as the floods in CQ have slowed us all down.
cheers
Rob

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, 13 February, 2013 - 02:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir = I also purchased my Shadow from Gullwing Motor Cars. Although I had a decent experience, you were right that they seem to know little about their products. I suppose they do sell a lot of vehicles, but simple sales basics seem to be overlooked. Examples like vacuuming/cleaning interiors or exteriors prior to taking pictures and displaying for sale. Also, their internet descriptions are often pretty lame. The good thing about Gullwing is the number of choices and reasonable prices. I'd be interested to know the logistics of the purchase of the Marquee occurred. Did you purchase site unseen or traveled to NY? Why was the car apart? ETC.
Regards,
Dave

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 449
Posted on Saturday, 16 February, 2013 - 02:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sadly last Summer in Blighty offered far more in the promise than the delivery so SRH 24518 has languished in a sorry state on my back garden for around a year with little progress to show for all the time lost. Now the Toyota (Lucille) requires urgent attention to get her back on the road again as she's the most economical vehicle in my small fleet. Unfortunately my local expert let me down - just when my general health has taken a down turn - so I've had to resort to driving everywhere in The Nipper, my 1992 Rover 216 Rover Cabriolet. In fact I returned from a pleasant trip to Belgium just this morning in him. Despite having driven to Hull 2 days ago in driving snow and sub zero temperatures the weather was so unexpectedly and unseasonably warm and sunny that I completed the last few miles after dropping off my passengers with the top down! Oh joy

To get back to the original thread: I find that driving my Silver Shadow engenders far less delight in British passers by than on the Continent; particularly France and Belgium. It seems that being overtaken by a 36 year old Rolls Royce does nothing more than 'make their day' and I see nothing but smiles, thumbs up and yells of "nice/beautiful/lovely car" and when parked she draws a crowd of eager photographers over there. Not that I bought her for that reason. I've always wanted a Rolls since the day I knew what one was, but the late SWMBO always put her foot down with a firm hand so it was never on the cards. What a pity that it should take her passing for my simple dreams to come true.

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, 21 February, 2013 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir..was that your Rolls I saw at Macure Resort 21/02/13..

Meet up with an old friend that has a really nice Bentley.

cheers rob

bentley

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, 22 February, 2013 - 11:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am enjoying all the talk of cucumber sandwiches and other assorted proprieties associated with Proper Motorcars. I call my Car Her Majesty partly tongue in cheek; after all once I saw my first Rolls-Royce salvage yard then cut my had on a sharp edge underneath, the bubble was at least partly burst. I sincerely hope this is not taken as an affront to the British Monarchy as I admire the Queen and think her life of service has been exemplary (unlike some of her progeny). As an American I would not have a good knowledge of such things, but I do know quality Ladies when I meet them!
I admire Rolls-Royces greatly and yet take some of the marketing and other parts of the "aura" surrounding them with an amused grain of salt. Maybe because I am basically a conservative person and an admirer of the old ways and the old things; who knows?
Everyone drive safely and have fun!

John McGhee
Experienced User
Username: jam

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 22 February, 2013 - 21:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a new user, I have read through this amusing series of posts and found it hit a chord.

Picking up on the topics of obscure car values and, umm, onanism (sorry Bill, I had to look that one up!), one issue I had to overcome before purchasing 55208 was the perception gap.

I thought people would understand that I was purchasing a classic old car, but was wide of the mark. I have since explored the matter and can confirm that there is a bizarre social phenomenon associated with these cars. Many of you have described variations and perhaps we should find a word to define it for ABC radio’s “Dag’s Dictionary”.

When one admits a desire to purchase a Rolls/Bentley, there are always raised eyebrows and some variation of a comment about money, regardless of the age of the beast. This doesn’t happen with other vehicles. I am resident in Sydney and if I were to spend (and lose...) five times more on a BMW or Mercedes, nobody would blink. But purchase a Rolls and everyone takes note. I had a neighbour on the doorstep the other day that looked at the car, looked at me, and said “that’s a bold decision, John”. Perhaps one of you can tell me what in the hell that means??

As to defining the phenomenon, I can only guess that although the cars are instantly recognisable, they remain unknown. Only a handful of people ever buy them, but everybody knows what they are and that new ones cost the Earth. The early brand marketers must have pinched themselves...

I purchased my Spirit because of her grace and presence, complemented by the powerful scent of Connolly & Wilton that greets one on opening the doors. I won’t lie, I love the grille and the lady, but what I appreciate most is the imprint of human effort and skill in these low volume, pre CAD cars, the flaws of which contrast the ennui of Teutonic accuracy elsewhere. She reminds me of my old timber boat. Not perfect, but beautiful, interesting and possessed of the spirit of endeavour.

To address Bill's concerns of onanism, the enjoyable advantage of these cars is that you can actually work on them and enjoy ownership from behind a spanner, the polishing cloth AND the wheel. Very few people would contemplate servicing a ‘plug and play’ modern vehicle - certainly not me.

Ravings aside, I can honestly say that an old Rolls would not be feasible for an amateur like me without Tee One and the support of this collective. Combine that with the ready availability of obscure parts for cars that were made in the hundreds rather than the millions and we have a great recipe for keeping these lovely old girls afloat.

As Randy said, have fun!!

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, 22 February, 2013 - 23:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John has got it! Rolls-Royce is quite famous, even if relatively unknown. To me it is the automotive and engineering equivalent of visiting a famous place one has always read about, or seeing a noted work of art in person, and not a photograph of it in a book. I had to buy one to be able to get my hands on it: how does one approach a stranger and ask to touch their Rolls-Royce? I got my own, and if I break it: "There, I fixed it!" applies.
It is certainly not about showing people how much money I have, because I haven't much, and if I did, I would probably buy a dozen old ones, rather than one new one.
I remember as a teenager the rumour going through church among the adults one Sunday: "Did you hear? Mrs. XYZ has a Cadillac!"
Heck, it turned out to be about 15 years old, but it was in nice condition. I couldn't get over peoples' reaction to an old but nice used car.}
People! what you gonna do?
Gaaa, that Silver Mink over Seychelles Blus is nice! I looked at one, a '76, before I got mine. It was nice outside and mechanically but the interior was light blue and it was not so nice. My car is solid Seychelles, though, and it is a nice color.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
New User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 23 February, 2013 - 05:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Robert that was not my Camargue at any resort but I wish it was. Did you really see a Camargue in Queensland? Nice pic of the Bentley. I really need to get a Bentley in order to further disturb the public. Some twit many years ago told me when I did have a Bentley that a Bentley was a "poor man's Rolls Royce". I was infuriated by the stupidity of such an inherent oxymoron. But now I think it is only right that if one has a Rolls Royce it is merely politically correct to have a matching Bentley, and John has brought up a question over buying a RR being "a bold decision". Well I would have thought a bold decision was buying any new car because the new hideously complicated things generally come with a body as strong as a cream bun and financially I contemplate whether you can get rid of your cash any quicker by burning it. No doubt one day soon I will get the Camargue on the road and somebody will say "what is it?" "Is it really a Rolls Royce" and then I will say "Yes, only 186 ever made in RHD, I bought it new in 1977 when it was then the most expensive car anybody on the planet could purchase anywhere" It's just no point in telling the public the truth like "Oh yes, but it didn't cost me much because you see only 7 years ago I was living in the Hostel for Homeless Men in Brisbane, jobless, drunk and out of control, and I just thought, I will cheer myself up and get out of this dive, work and buy a nice Rolls Royce Coupe, yes what what with a cucumber sandwich" Now combine the image of a white Camargue in good order, registered and an attractive slim intelligent wife 30 years your junior and you pull up at a local beachfront motel in Queensland. It would be pointless asking for a discount or even trying to tell people that you actually still work for a living wouldn't it? RR have a mystique and you have to live with it and all I can advise is that it is totally essential to convey a blatant sense of insane eccentricity for any attempt to explain the truth of the matter is only going to reinforce THEIR knowledge that you are stinking rich. RR ownership is a stigma. Explanations are futile.

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, 23 February, 2013 - 08:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vladimir

There sure is a Camargue in CQ and a wonderfull exsample of the marque with unmarked charcoal colored paint and RHD.I wanted to stop and have a chat to the owner but time wasn't on my side.My Rolls did 500Ks that day with no hint of problem and such a joy to drive.The Bentley is well known here and affectionately called "Miss Daisy".There is a 1968 black RR here in Rockhampton too but I haven't seen it for over a year now.The chap that owned it and I went 1/2s in a bulk order of RR363 he came over picked it up and thats the last time I saw him and the car.

cheers

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, 24 February, 2013 - 17:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy. Nah I don't think anyone these days gets to offended on what we call our cars.Gee I called mine a "Big pile of money sucking red "CRAP" for over a year till I got it right, and its still a work in progress.This site and the help from Bill's Tee One saved me . I had no Idea when I got the shadow how different they were.But after 4 years now she's running great,the rust is fixed ,however I would like to paint her 'just to even out the paint.and she'll be good for another 80 years' by that time the kids can fight over her.
Its been a wonderfull experiance to have the privlage to own such a great car
cheers
rob

Lungmuss
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.13.17.51
Posted on Monday, 25 February, 2013 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,
My contribution from the UK is the advice I was given when I purchased the RR Silver Spirit. The the seller was a second hand car dealer specialising in RR & Bentley. As I prepared to drive proudly away in my recently purchased Rolls Royce, his parting comment was, "You are now the owner of a Rolls Royce and wherever you go people will stare at you. Remember that its the car not you they are looking at!" Over the years I have often thought what sensible advice I was given.
All the best,
Clive

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, 25 February, 2013 - 13:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, I understand the original lacquer is not too bad to touch up if the painter knows lacquer. My original paint is pretty nice so I plan to have someone touch it up in a couple places and enjoy.
My car doesn't suck monay nearly as badly as a new car, if we consider depreciation adn insurance. Classic insurance is a real bargain.

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, 06 March, 2013 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While looking for new clips of one of my favourite Heavy metal group "Rammstein"I came across this .A bentley and Rolls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1st6O1tqII

Andre Reiu bores me to death

cheers
rob

Bob Reynolds
Experienced User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, 06 March, 2013 - 19:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You forgot to warn us to switch the sound off!

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, 06 March, 2013 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

sorry Bob

cheers

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That was one of the best videos Ive seen for a long time.The girls were great.

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 18:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry. those girls can drive my shadow anytime they want

cheers

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the way I'm seeing more of this type of car more and more.I'm suprized that a "Heavey Metal" group such as this would use these type of cars.They are instantly recognisable even to the younger generation .With Hummers,Varon Audi and such this group choose Merks a Stretch Bentley and a Shadow ..very interesting' ,I watched a dvd with the wife a 2012 movie in the same vain as KILL BILL were a shadow was driven through the streets of Sinapore in the opening secene 2012 in the opening credits .Dare I say a come back of such a vehicle ..very interesting .

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"those girls can drive my Shadow anytime they want"

..the advertising boffins gave the guy a choice: the girl, the car or both and ....he chose the car.

And the World stood still
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ82dP5s1cU

The new Wraith has been showcased at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show and I think it is stunning.

The Shadow is still my favourite though.

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2013 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey..I'm covinced that these old cars are on the way back from the grave..I just watched a TV show on pay where many old Austins and Holdens that where worthless a few years ago but demanding big money now..I had "don't laugh",,a Leyland P76 V8 executive.Thinking back now I was a "NUT" to have sold it for next to nothing $600.It was an 'ugly fugly' but the engine was as strong as a train and super reliable.I was trolling some car sites and they are now commanding $40,000.ins pristine condition.It would be great to hear from people who have owned somthing weird who wished they keeped it ..I'm sure the Shadow Series will come back in years to come..
cheers Rob

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2013 - 20:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OH I forgot to mention a bright red Bom Bug that was left upon me cos I had the shed space ..

cheers
rob

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2013 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've always liked those little wedge-shaped Bond Bugs. Did you know that - like the Model T Ford - they were only available in one colour? Orange! The only trouble with them was that in the case of severe front end collision fast egress could be compromised as there are no doors with entry/exit being by lifting the whole roof which is hinged at the front!

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, 25 March, 2013 - 17:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan your correct ..It was Orange not Red.When I was in the building trade a guy I worked with a "Brickkie" had it imported from England,and it was stored in a corner in an offsite warehouse I had at the time..He put it there as he was going through a messy divorce..I sold the business and told him to pick it up ..can't recall if he ever did ..Yes Divorce and classic cars I'm not sure that both are compatible,maybe thats a start of a new thread..

cheers
rob

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, 25 March, 2013 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

oh bye the way..if you read a report in a local News Paper of a Rolls Royce owner In Cq found dead and chopped up in the freezer don't belive it's suicide.Its because I spent $400 on electronic ignition for my other girl friend

cheers rob

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, 25 March, 2013 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert - that is scary: I made my aircon mechanic put A Touch of Class on the Mastercard bill to avoid suspicion that I was spending money on the car...

Benoit Leus
Frequent User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, 26 March, 2013 - 01:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's why I always have parts deliverd at work. And as my wife doesn't always tell me when she buys new clothes, I don't feel too guilty.

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, 10 January, 2014 - 11:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian Vogel: I was wondering if you ever got your longer sister to my car on the road?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 705
Posted on Friday, 10 January, 2014 - 11:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

The short answer is "no." I'm so close I can almost taste it, but other life issues with my Mom pushed the Silver Wraith II off the top of the "to do" list and now that winter's here she'll hibernate until spring.

Thanks for asking.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Prolific User

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, 12 January, 2014 - 12:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, you're not the only one: a buddy in our local car club became seriously ill suddenly; he was incapacitated for a couple months. His wife not only found out how much he was spending in restoration of a mid-1950s Ford Thunderbird (a lot), she found his secret stash of money when she had to take over his payment of the household bills. Double-ouch!
At least he is doing better now, health-wise.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, 26 January, 2014 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most would have seen this little clip of a road test of a Bentley T2, but is always nice to watch the impressive stance and how they catch the eye when one of these pass you by.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMRXuI5oDYg
cheers