Importing a car to Aus Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Importing a car to Aus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Taxis
New User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 30 July, 2007 - 02:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The following is a summary of cost and paper work required to export a car from the UK and import it into to Australia.
Paperwork, do not evan consider loading a car onto a ship until you have an import permit, this is Obtained form the Dept of transport. cost $50, if you do not have this permit when the car arrives in Australia you may be forced to scrap the vehicle or re- export it. The car must be 1989 build or earlier, unless it is a specific model of vehicle that is approved. See DOTAR website for details.
I strongly advise that you appoint a customs / freight forwarding company that have offices in the UK and Australia. I used a company called Air / Sea international. They took care of all the paper work for export and import, they attended the docks when the car was unloaded and supervised the customs and quarantine inspections.I found them to be very good and they kept me fully informed
There are two main method of transportation, by container or on a car carrier. I chose to have the car transported on a car carrier. The vessel was only a couple of years old, and was owned by a reputable company

The documentation / bill of lading for export cost £90

The import cost were as follows (Australian $)
GST 10% of receipt or valuation cert
Freight $2600 ($4800 if containerised)
Port charges, Import / entry paperwork $675
Customs fees $53
Quarantine fees $ 566 (includes cleaning)

On top of this you have to include marine insurance which for a $25,000 agreed value came to $487.

It cost $297 to have the car freighted from Brisbane to my home (120kms)

The car was exported from Southampton and landed in Brisbane, 6 weeks later.
I loaded the car with a lot of spares that came with the car, there was no problems with the customs as long as the parts came with the purchase of the car, most of the parts were either reconditioned or second hand, but the quarantine insisted on inspecting all the items and hence the high costs.
I hope that this information may be of some help to people considering importing a car to Australia
Rgds
Mark
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Craig Knight
Yet to post message
Username: grum_ck

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 11 October, 2007 - 05:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark, just wanted to thank you for your advice.

I bought myself a ‘97 Turbo R, I plan on using it for a year over in England, then I should be able to import it as a personal import (once owned for a year). The only problem is the narrow roads and small parking spaces – looking forward to the open roads back home.

I’m still over protective of it, but loving every mile.
Cheers.
Grum.