Main jet blocked Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Main jet blocked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 - 09:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Honda lawn mower

I went to start it and it didn't.

Usual checks shows carb problem
Main jet blocked. Clear with pokey thing and compressed air mower will only run on choke.

Very small brass jets are very sensitive to damage from poking things like wire into them. The hole gets bigger.

So I heated the jet up to I guess 400 c and plunged it in water.Then compressed air.
Mower now runs fine.

The petrol varnish has gone.

Hope this very useful hot tip helps when the mower won't start due to winter lay up.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 - 14:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Bob,

Better buy some fresh fuel - I find the varnish problem occurs with small lawns where a can of lawnmower fuel can last a year or more. I keep a 5 litre container of unleaded ethanol-free fuel which I mix for my two stroke whipper-snipper and blower and use straight for my 4 stroke mower. I dump the remaining straight fuel at the beginning of Spring and Autumn into the fuel tank of our second "shopping trolley" car and buy a new container of fuel. The 2 strokes use more fuel than the mower but are used for less time; why they use more fuel is debatable but I suspect it is because they operating at much higher engine speeds.

A hint I learnt from my time with a pump manufacturer for their range of 4 stroke Briggs & Stratton and Honda engined farm firefighting pumps was to run the fuel tank and carburetor dry and pull the engine over manually until it was on compression before putting it into winter storage. This stopped varnish forming in the carburetor and the valves sticking due to corrosion from atmospheric moisture condensation.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 - 18:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Use ASPEN synthetic gasoline for lawn mowers, chain saws and other small motorized appliances that get little use and forget all the problems described above.
Jonas

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 - 18:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Left fuel over the winter in my Techcumsi engine mower , to find the carb full of corrosion when it would not start ! Time consuming cleaning job, suspect caused by the ethanol content.
Mark

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.86
Posted on Thursday, 24 July, 2014 - 04:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stale petrol in little used industrial engines is very common problem. In the UK there is only unleaded and super unleaded. There are various sprays to clear varnish from brake dot to acetone.All of which don't seem to work for me.

Incidentally dot cleans carbs quite well.

(Message approved by david_gore)