Weird looking headlights Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Weird looking headlights « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Frequent User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, 25 December, 2014 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have noticed over the years headlights that appear to be headlights within headlights. I have seen them on RR and Jaguars. Are they original equipment or some after market debacle? Any ideas - they appear to be attached by three bars to the surrounds/assemblies of the large grand headlights of days gone by.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.91
Posted on Friday, 26 December, 2014 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lucas P100 headlights. These were huge 10" maybe 12 with the surround. They had a 3 leg bit to hold a small reflector in front of the bulb. These lamps are fitted to my imaginary perfect car. These are still made at £600 each. The old Bentley boys use them.

BMW do angle eyes and motor bikes have Fox eyes.

The best shape for a headlight as solely a head lamp is round.
The other shapes make no difference as a headlamp. Other shapes do give more lit area on the car so others see it easier. But as for lighting up the road in front no difference.

Glass was a must because plastic would melt. Now they have plastic that doesn't they have got more adventurous.

I think led lighting for side lamps is unnecessary, led for interior lights and a certain fog lamp application on shadows works well. The fuel savings are so small that the payback time is 200k miles.

The optimum voltage for incandescent bulbs is 6v to 24v with 12 bang on the money.
so comparing 12v to mains bulbs is not quite correct.

There are 40 year old bulbs in my car, original fitted at Crewe. No incandescent bulbs last longer than 3 years in my house. So long life led works in a home but not so well in cars.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.97.26.213
Posted on Saturday, 27 December, 2014 - 04:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir

The headlamps to which you are referring are sealed beam inserts fitted to Lucas 770 and Lucas R100 lamps (note the R100 not P100) on R-R & B cars imported into the USA during the early 50’s. This conversion was necessary to meet the then new USA standard that required all headlamps to be the sealed beam variety.

At that time J.S. Inskip was the main importer of R-R & B cars into the USA and they carried out the fitting and supplied the actual sealed beam units, which of course were US made. The hardware for the conversion, like chrome rings and seals were shipped with the cars from Crewe or in the case of coach built cars from Lillie Hall, London.

Jaguar and Aston Martin, to name two, carried out similar conversions on the 770 lamp versions on their cars for the USA market.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Saturday, 27 December, 2014 - 09:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Angel eyes not angle eyes.
I stand corrected R100.

Also remember Lucas king of the road.

Lucas has made some very nice electrical equipment. It's a shame when older stuff is replaced with modern. Two very nice electrical bits on my shadow is the CAV alternator and Lucas starter. Excellent quality and easy to repair. The switch gear is also very good. Shame about the window cock up. Relays easy fix.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 753
Posted on Monday, 12 January, 2015 - 23:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Weird? How about this?

With sealed headlight assemblies becoming more expensive and harder to come across, I bought a set of old bulb type reflectors originally meant for a BMW. After a bit of modification they fit perfectly and are bright, bright, bright!.

Mind you; the bulbs are 90/100 xenons! Since then I've acquired and fitted a set of wire mesh guards to protect them from stone chips, painted to match the bodywork.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.82
Posted on Tuesday, 13 January, 2015 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My left inner is a dip and main because I couldn't get a main only. Same price.
There are kits available which covert to H4. I used to get them from Ring.

I think Truimph car guys have H4 kits for 4 eyed cars.

Arc lamps would be good.

A neighbour has discharge lanterns on his Lexus which look blue from the side but white from the front. Very Bright. They melt the car in front.