Collectable Classics in Woodside, SA.... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Collectable Classics in Woodside, SA. Anyone? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Cheng
New User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 19:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone had any experience or stories about Collectable Classics in Woodside, SA?

They're website suggests they are a 3 generation family owned business and they seem to always have a large rotating inventory, including a few RR's.

I see their constant ads on gumtree.com (free classifieds site) wanting to buy classic cars.

I keep saying I'll pop up there sometime and have a look for myself, but haven't had the chance to yet.

http://collectableclassiccars.com.au/cars

Anyone?

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 07:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff,
No experience here I'm sorry to say.
The cars all look pretty good and seem well priced.
The 69 Shadow is unusual in its colour combo, the white roof I have not seen before.
It will be interesting to see what you find out.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 576
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 14:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My green Silver Wraith II originally came with a white Everflex roof. Everflex gets very tired under the sun in the UAE so I removed it and painted the car all one colour.

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 14:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks fantastic all green Omar.
Not sure how that would look green with a white roof????

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 14:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar

Is this the car you remodeled the rear window on? It's not clear from the photo. I think both look superb.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 577
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 15:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Geoff,
Yes indeed this was the car that i installed a Shadow window in the rear when I deleted the Everflex roof

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 16:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow,
That's a huge job Omar.
Well done.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 578
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 16:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
the Everflex was very tired and would have let the car down. Replacing it was hugely expensive and i actually dont like them - let alone a white one on a green car. Then you have the issue of a small window with no finishing to contend with if you delete the Everflex. The Shadow window was the only choice for me.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2016 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
Again well done.
Massive job I'm sure.
You're right an odd combo that's for sure.
I'm eager to see the interiors of your cars due to the outside colour. I can't say I have ever seen a cream Shadow before. I have seen a green one once before on the net, but no interior shots.
Thanks for sharing the great image of the Everflex roof.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2016 - 08:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When the Factory decided to fit the smaller window where specified, the supervisor confessed to me to a breakdown in communications. The first 'coating' on these cars involved taking the whole body and lowering it entirely in a small swimming pool of primer/undercoat etc. To hold the body at the rear there was a cross piece on the vertical support that was inserted through the rear window aperture which hooked under the roof. The cross piece was just wide enough to be 'threaded' through the 'hole'.

So apparently there was much mirth from the floor when the first small window came down the line and insertion was impossible. A bit of trivia!

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2016 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love trivia Bill.
Especially on subjects Rolls Royce.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 581
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2016 - 15:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
The interior of the Shadow is still not restored. That is the next job for me for this car. Meanwhile my restorations of all the other cars is taking most of my time.
When I get around to doing the interior - I will post pictures.
currently it looks like a dogs breakfast inside - so no photos until that is done.
Thanks
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2016 - 20:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the update Omar,
How many projects do you have going at the moment?

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2016 - 20:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know what you mean Omar,
It gets embarrassing to show people things your not happy with or proud of.
Mine is my under bonnet area.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 582
Posted on Sunday, 24 April, 2016 - 03:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was hoping nobody would ask......... this is seriously embarrassing.....so far the non-Bentley Rolls-Royce cars that I am working on are as follows....
59 MKIX Jag
57 Eldorado
60 Buick Lesabre
72 Toyota Celica
69 Datsun Roadster
69 Citroen ID
5 Japanese Bikes from the 70s
58 Ford F100
65 Beetle Convertible
3 x 60s VW Camper vans
76 Eldorado Convertible
59 Cadillac sedan
59 Chevy Belair
69 E Type Jag
and I am sure i must have missed one or two out.................

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Sunday, 24 April, 2016 - 08:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

All I can say is you must have a very understanding and tolerant wife and family plus a very large workshop/garage.

However, you have a long way to go to catch up with the following collector - he recently purchased my US friend's 1948 Lincoln Continental V12 to add to his collection as listed [this was a "barn find" fitted with a Chev V8 that Steve found in Wisconsin together with the original V12 engine on a pallet and the original 1948 registration plates. Steve originally intended to convert it to a hot-rod however a visit to Australia in 1998 when he spent some time helping me with DRH14434 convinced him to restore the Lincoln to original condition as you now see.]:

http://mariosueiras.com/

A direct link to the Lincoln is below:

http://mariosueiras.com/1948-lincoln-continental/

Jeff Cheng
New User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, 24 April, 2016 - 11:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just an update:

I popped in to Collectable Classics yesterday afternoon and while the owner wasn't there (being a saturday), the 'caretaker', an older family friend of the owner was and we had a good chat about many things.

Turns out the owner is in the finance industry, but being a car guy, runs Collectable Classics, as well as a car sourcing service on the side.

He sounds like a decent type of guy, and buying/selling arrangements are flexible, where the seller can choose to store/display in the warehouse, consign or keep the vehicle at home, where he will vet genuine enquires and collect the cars from the sellers' home to show buyers by appointment at the business.

This was how the RR's listed were arranged between the seller, so there weren't any at warehouse for me to inspect. I didn't push the point as I'm not ready to buy just yet anyways. They did however have a few Jaguar XK's, a handful of Triumph TR's and some other interesting oddities to look at, all reasonably priced.

There were a few MGB's in various states of completion that the caretaker explained had been bought as rough runners and brought up to resale level (as MGB's are always fast sellers as entry level classics). Having an MGB myself, the work he was performing looked to be decent quality with no shorcuts.

In all, he seem like an enthusiast wheeling and dealing in old cars as a side interest. When time comes. I will try to see if he can source me a suitable car and take the MGB as trade.

I've rambled on a bit, bit I hope this might help anyone in the future if it comes up in a search.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2016 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff,
That's some good feedback for someone looking for a good car from someone you can trust.
The cars just don't seem to be traded heaps, but cared for cars, that simply are looking for a new home.
Let us know how you get on Jeff.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: