RR B40 Champ. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » RR B40 Champ. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.85
Posted on Friday, 08 August, 2014 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whilst looking for a Volvo 245 I came across a Austin Champ.
The military version was called 1/4 ton 4x4 GS.
11000 army and 500 Champs 1 lhd version made. Most of the survivers are in Australia.

The engine is a RR B40 4 cylinder 2800 cc.5 speed box and high low.

Because RR couldn't make enough engines Austin made them under licence as well using RR tooling.
Leyland Motors supplied the castings for both RR and Austin.The body which was similar to a Willie's Jeep was made by Pressed Steel whose front gate is opposite Rover Cars front gate. The design of the transmission came from the Wolesly Mudlark whose CV joints are of GM design and patent.

Ford and Chysler. I can't find any trace of them in the Champ.

The Champ is a capable off roader that was superseded by the 1/2 price Landie. The one I found is a breaker and the axles are missing pressumed sold and Volvo I went to see was not much better.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.80
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2014 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since yesterday I have found more info about B series engines.
The 4 6 And 8 cylinder engines all had a 3.5 x 4.5 stroke. The parts were interchangeable.
The FB 6 cylinder is 3.5 x 3.75 and is not a B series engine, and the bits from the B series don't fit. The B means BMC and the F not sure.
G series was a DHOC and similar to an XK jag.
This engine was prototype only.
The B series is only suitable for military vehicles not cars.

The FB engine was built for the Tibet and Java cars. The body shell was a BMC pressed steel Ltd from the Austin Westminster. Due to the Shadow RR pulled out and the result was the Princess 4 litre R. Which is I guess is the Tibet. The Princess had 175 bhp and lots of torque model 8 autobox
They drove well but suffered rocker arm failure if abused.
Austin Westminster 3 litre 115 bhp
Cars went from 1962 to 1968.

These are not RRs but they are of the same quality.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 601
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2014 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The first RR powered vehicle I ever drove was back in the early 70's in Sheffield. It was an Austin Princess van-based ambulance with a 4.5 litre RR engine. Whether the motive power was assembled in Crewe or made under licence elsewhere I couldn't say.

One of our drivers would place his Thermos flask on the floor between the front seats and leave it there all day without it falling over! When they were decommissioned in the late 70's I had always intended to buy one and convert it into a motor home, but (as usual) I just didn't have the cash - under £200 - at the right time, so I didn't have the opportunity.

Tara Copp
Yet to post message
Username: tlcopp

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2014 - 00:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Help identifying 1920s Rolls Royce ...
Hi everyone, thank you for your help. The attached photo is from the late 1920s in Chile. My grandmother is the little girl in the back seat. I am trying to identify the model of the Rolls Royce they are driving in, this is the only shot I have of the car. I thought some of the experts here might be able to help? Thank you!
Tara

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2014 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Tara,

To post a photo on this Forum, you need to use a special command to upload the image from your computer into your message. It is best to resize the image to 640 x 480 [landscape orientation] or 480 x 640 [portrait orientation] pixels so it can be seen without having to scroll across the page.

The command is backslashimage{text title of image} which will cause the following box to appear in your preview and you will be prompted to select the appropriate image file from your computer and it will appear in your message as Text description. Just replace the word backslash in the command with the symbol \ - if you make a typographical error, the command will not work.

Upon posting, you are prompted for an image file to upload. Images must be either GIF or JPEG format. Images must be saved on your hard disk.

If you go to the menu on the LHS of the Forum page, select FORMATTING in the DOCUMENTATION menu and after the page opens scroll down to the IMAGES, ATTACHMENTS AND CLIPART section where there is an example of how the command works.

Look forward to seeing your picture.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.77
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2014 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I await with my book of Prewar RR cars to identify the car.
I venture a 20/25 these were very popular.

Unfortunately due to copyright none of the photos can be published on the net. But I can give you a page number and ISBN and title so you may buy from Amazon.

Tara Copp
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2014 - 23:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, trying again ....thank you!Chile RR

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.93
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2014 - 03:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tara,
It is difficult to id the car the hub centres are similar to RR 20hp cars. RR didn't make whole cars only a rolling chassis which could actually be driven. The twenty was often sold in batches to a new car dealer who commission a coach builder to make the bodies. The detail of the scuttle below the screen is typical of Barker coachbuilders.
However Barker made bodies for others such as Austin Daimler lanchester and many more.

If this is a RR it likely Twenty with standard design by Barker.
The twenty is a very nice baby RR and capable.

Tara Copp
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2014 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Bob! I did not know RR didn't produce whole cars in the 20s/30s. If I wanted to (as accurately as possible) describe the car, how would I label it? I'm working on my grandmother's life story and I wanted to provide as many accurate details as possible.
Thank you everyone for the help!

David Gore

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2014 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Tara,

You will find the article on the following link very interesting; just scroll down till you find the section on the 20HP and you will see various photos of 20HP, 20/25HP and 5/30HP vehicles plus a short article about each of these models:

http://20-ghost.org/cars-and-ownership/history-of-each-pre-1940-models/

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2014 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The spare wheel is not Rolls-Royce in my opinion. Not enough spokes!

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2014 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also looks to be left hand drive. I think you can see the steering wheel. Twentys were never LHD.

Tara Copp
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 12 August, 2014 - 02:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for the link! I'll keep looking

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, 12 August, 2014 - 09:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That Car is a Ford, imo. If Rolls-Royce used 5 lug welded-spoke wheels I stand corrected.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 452
Posted on Tuesday, 12 August, 2014 - 12:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would definitely agree with Randy. The 1929 model (below) has many of the features of that in Tara's photo. The position of the door handles, the door hinges, the spare wheel (number of spokes and position on the running board), the windscreen pillar. Looks very similar.

ford

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, 12 August, 2014 - 19:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy and Geoff good detective work and a great photo not a Rolls Royce but a really nice car indeed.

Richard.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 04:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What does Ford imo mean

David Gore

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IMO = In My Opinion

Just another aberration from the texting generation who are too lazy to spell properly IMO........

I wonder if they would know what aberration means .

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 963
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

As a computer geek that goes back to the era when punch cards were still in use, I can assure you that IMO (and IMHO, where the H for humble was generally untrue) has been in use far, far, far longer than texting has existed.

Brian, whose years on Usenet resulted in top-notch acronym recognition (but who still prefers to spell things out for clarity's sake)

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian

That takes me back. I remember punch cards, paper tape and 60MB disks the size of washing machines, fortran, cobol and of course the acronyms - rtfm, fubar etc.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I must admit that I find it annoying reading text that has too many of these coded messages in them LOLROTG.

Richard.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 20:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ROFLMAO