Headlamp question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Headlamp question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Reynolds
Frequent User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, 28 April, 2014 - 10:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A simple question, and probably a daft one.

Is it permitted to replace the inner headlamps with the same units as the outer ones? Then you would have 4 main beams, and also 4 dipped beams.

This is such an obvious idea that I think there must be some law against it, otherwise everybody would have done it!

gordon le feuvre
Experienced User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, 03 May, 2014 - 05:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From what I recall, the inner lamps are effectively spotlights where as the main beam of the outer two are more "general" main beam light

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.71
Posted on Friday, 09 May, 2014 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the UK yes it is ok
But it is Pointless because four dip beams with street lights will not make vision any better
Plus is the wiring going to be ok

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bob Reynolds
Frequent User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, 11 May, 2014 - 01:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for your response. It is not pointless, because dipped headlights are also used in total darkness, where there is other traffic in front of you (which is most of the time).

In fact there is a big difference switching from 4 main beams down to 2 dipped beams; and I would have thought that 2 extra dipped beams would make a big difference.

I haven't done this mod, I was just wondering whether it was allowed. In fact, after posting my original post I looked in other classic car forums to try and throw some light on the subject!

The various UK lighting regulations are somewhat confusing, but it appears that cars built before April 1991 can have any number of dipped headlights as long as they are adjusted so as not to dazzle or confuse, whereas those built after that can only have two.

Some MOT inspectors don't like them, just assuming they are illegal, so best to disconnect them for the MOT to save any arguments.

As to whether the inner headlights are spotlights or not, I don't know. It's a valid point. But personally, I would prefer to have 2 extra dipped beams rather than 2 spotlights that are hardly ever used.

And as for the wiring, I've discussed that in another topic. It appears to me that the wiring is not even OK for the standard headlamps, and nobody has disputed my calculations (yet).

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 541
Posted on Sunday, 11 May, 2014 - 22:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For more light on dipped beam it's a simple job to replace the bulbs with single 100 watt or dual 100/90 watt xenon type(s). Illegal in the UK, of course, but I've never had a car fail the MOT when fitted with them.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.86
Posted on Saturday, 17 May, 2014 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The mot test does not test the wattage of lights
They must only check what is in the manual
There is a catch all section but this is used only for dangerous stuff which the manual does not cover
Such as a loose roof rack
Bright lights are not dangerous unless the aim is wrong than it fails on the aim
I have seen this mod before and the lit area in front of car was about the same

(Message approved by david_gore)