Trailering a Rolls Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Trailering a Rolls « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, 18 August, 2013 - 02:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In about a month's time I shall be re-locating from the west to the east of the US, a distance of 2000 miles. I am thinking of renting a trailer and towing the Rolls across. All my instincts are telling me to get the car transported professionally, particularly as I have never towed a trailer before. Has anyone trailered a car and what would be your advice?

Geoff

Carl Heydon
Experienced User
Username: car

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, 18 August, 2013 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would suggest you practice lots before you attempt the journey and use the best trailer available.
Things can go horribly wrong very quickly.

http://www.bentleyspotting.com/2012/04/bump-grind.html

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 605
Posted on Sunday, 18 August, 2013 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Unless something has changed, you're going to find it relatively difficult to find any "rent-a-trailer" of the flatbed variety that is rated to carry the weight of a Rolls-Royce. When I bought LRK37110 I tried virtually everywhere I could but no dice.

This is not to say that there aren't plenty of flatbed trailers out there that could easily carry your Shadow, it's just hard to find them as rentals, particularly one-way rentals.

The last time I trailered a car was when I moved from New York State back to Virginia in 2002. This was with the trailer behind a fairly large U-Haul type truck. It certainly isn't difficult to do "on the road" but you have to be very, very careful to have some sense of:

a) How long you are, including trailer

b) The need for *very* wide turning circles and how the trailer pivots behind your vehicle

c) If you're planning to stop overnight along the way, those places that can accommodate your truck plus trailer. (And since I know your approximate route and distance, I have to believe you'll be stopping overnight at least twice or three times.)

d) That driving a large truck (even a large pick-up truck) with a large trailer is definitely more stressful and fatiguing, even when you know exactly what you're doing, than just driving your car

I agree with Mr. Heydon that if you have the opportunity to practice, do so. It's helpful to do so with an empty trailer for a bit then with the trailer loaded up.

Depending on what you could get for a rate from one of the reputable transporters it may be nearly as cost efficient as DIY given the cost of fuel these days. Hauling one of these beasts across the country on a flatbed trailer (or in an enclosed trailer) uses a lot of additional fuel.

Brian

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User
Username: dleedy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, 18 August, 2013 - 10:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you explored transport via rail. I've heard costs might be more reasonable than road. Regards.

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User

Post Number: 299
Posted on Sunday, 18 August, 2013 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

The link indeed portrays a very sad scene and certainly focuses the mind on what can happen.

Brian,

I shall be using a U-Haul truck. When I saw the "tow your car" option on the website I checked it out. Rolls Royce was not listed so I chose an SUV of similar weight, thinking that the Rolls would be ok when I came to take out the rental at the local depot. I did not realise this would be an issue. No problem however since after reading your and Carl's replies I have decided it would be a bad idea. I was particularly persuaded not to tow by your statement that it is definitely more stressful and fatiguing. I've done the "coast to coast" drive three times now and know I can comfortably do it with two overnight stops. Pulling a trailer I suspect would probably double this to four stops.

Thanks so much for your replies. Commonsense has returned. With regards to cost, it's about a grand to transport the car. Compare this with $400 for trailer rental, $200 for the additional two nights in hotels and the added fuel costs. It's a no-brainer really. I think I was momentarily seduced by the "tow your car" check box on the website.

Geoff.

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, 18 August, 2013 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I will check out the rail options. This hadn't occurred to me.

Geoff

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, 18 August, 2013 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had Her transported from Pennsylvania to Louisiana in an enclosed van by a professional car hauler for less than $1000; I offered to let the transport co. pick it up when convenient for them and I offered to meet them somewhere if they would have to drive out of their way to deliver it. They reciprocated with a better price than their original quote, and then delivered it to my door anyway. I thought it was well worth the cost.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, 19 August, 2013 - 01:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The R-R that was involved in the accident Carl Heydon pointed to in his reply belongs to a Swiss RREC member (see the number plates on the trailer). I know that this car has been repaired in an eastern Europe country with low wages and is well again, but do not know the £££££ required.
The reason for this accident was attributed to bad weight distribution on the trailer. The wind resistance at speed was enough to get a negative load on the hitch.
Such accidents with old cars on trailers are not so seldom, I know of at least two more such incidents.
Jonas

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, 19 August, 2013 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of the US Members of RROC lost a nice Car in a trailering accident on his way home from the national meet in New Orleans a few years ago. I recall he had worked on the Car for more than 20 years, then Poof!

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, 13 October, 2013 - 16:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not worth it
Did it once with a car I bought. Didn't have trailer balanced (even engine facing rear). Jackkniffed on Freeway. Car on trailer fine - but not the towing car. That was 35 years ago. Now I can tow anything.

But for a Roller, I'd rather pay to have it transported by a professional.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2926
Posted on Sunday, 13 October, 2013 - 23:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

But for a Roller, I'd rather

.. be careful, Colin. As Jonas may or may not confirm, a Roller in German-speaking countries is a moped or motor scooter. Often a Wasp (Vespa in Italian) for example. Even a Lambretta. Try Royce. Arthur Daley would cringe no doubt.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 511
Posted on Monday, 14 October, 2013 - 18:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And don't forget why the 'Silver Mist' never went into production

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.89
Posted on Sunday, 18 May, 2014 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just seen this post

A Roller weighs 2300kg min
The trailer weighs 1000kg

That's 3tons minimum

To be safe the towing vehicle needs to weigh 6 tons

Makers of cars will say that their vehicles will be Ok with say 80# of vehicle weight

I disagree

I towed a mini on a light trailer with a 1700kg Citroen and I detected push on in bends

I have a jeep and a small
Half Ton trailer and in the 40 mph elk test the whole plot nearly come to grief the poor little boy burst into tears and police behind said the trailer was all over the place

Never mind the car if the whole comes to grief and splatters a bus stop full of innocent children

Or run into a home for orphaned cats

I had car moved recently at 80 pence a mile he done the job overnight
Minimum charge 60 quid

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, 19 May, 2014 - 17:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I helped my brother two years ago to trailer his Ferrari (1600 kg) from Modena/Italy to Switzerland via St. Gotthard tunnel and Brunig pass. Towing vehicle was a VW Tiguan 4WD with an approved trailing weight of 2.5 tons. Trailer was a flatbed twin-axle with an estimated weight of 400 kg. Allowing for what we had behind and adapting our speed to a max. of 50 mph we had absolutely no problems
Trailering a Ferrari

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 543
Posted on Monday, 19 May, 2014 - 20:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That trailer looks virtually identical to the one I've got except the ramps on mine are fixed and just hinge up while on the road. In my case my little Rover 216 Cabrio fits like glove on it, which makes me strongly doubt that the Shadow would even go on it due to width & length incompatibility.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.88
Posted on Tuesday, 20 May, 2014 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vw towing Ferrari

Yes providing nothing happens and you adapt driving style

However when a 4 year old on a scooter appears in the road then the fast right and even faster left is liable to jacking the plot

An ice cream and he stopped crying his mum got angry with the police because they told her off for allowing a toddler to ride a scooter by a main road 60mph speed limit

Many years ago a workmate run over a drunk and for years he couldnt drive! That ended his career as mechanic

It happens in a heart beat

Sorry if this morbid

My trailer has a heavy chain connecting the trailer to the tow bar should the ball hitch fail then the chain Will keep the trailer from running away

I suspect that hitch would smash into the tail gate though

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, 20 May, 2014 - 08:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have towed vehicles ranging from Austin 7's through to Jaguar saloons and 6 Cyl Wolsleys on a 4 Wheel trailer pulled with a Landrover Defender. I will only use a low loading trailer ( one where the car sits inside the trailer wheels)and I drive with the same approach as if I was pulling a loaded livestock trailer. Trailering a Rolls would not concern me as long as the trailer is the correct size for the load, the nose weight is correct and the loaded trailer is within the max tow weight of the Landrover (3.5 tonnes).

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, 20 May, 2014 - 16:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob
Yes, trailering anything, from a car on a flatbed trailer to a caravan is more dangerous than just a car alone and requires extra skill and adapted driving, looking even farther ahead than normal. And there is the additional difficulty that such trailers often are wider than the pulling car.
Playing children along a road are to attract your special attention, even without a trailer behind. A child suddenly running out in front of you is a situation not every average driver can manage even without a trailer on the back. Therefore every driver (not only newbies) should be forced to take regularly lessons in a driving academy on a closed off track to train such situations. Many drivers not even manage an emergency stop despite ABS....

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Wednesday, 21 May, 2014 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas

Absolutely right

Most car drivers have never done a full balls out stoppie from say 70 mph

I used to work for the police

And rolling road first and proof of the pudding a fast stop from 70 mph

I had the assistant chief constable in Volvo T5 really white faced

70 to zero about 3 seconds

I have done this in a shadow and it does quite well

My jeep is rubbish on the brakes

Find somewhere safe and smoke up the tyres on the brakes

That way when a kid on a scooter appears you can really get the brakes on

Hit the pedal hard ease off so the steering still steers