Silver Shadow Bodies-In-White Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Silver Shadow Bodies-In-White « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2013 - 14:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, everyone. There is a photo on the internet: Silver Shadow bodies stored on racks in a warehouse, presumably at the Factory, but maybe at Pressed Steel Fisher. They are obviously unpainted, and have the doors and boot lids. I can see some surface staining and/or rust (not on the doors...).
I am fascinated by photos like this: the inside story, so to speak, but for engineers. I'd like to hear anything known about this: how the bodies were shipped, how they began the preparation process once the production process began at Crewe.
I can just imagine being there: handling these; sandpaper, sanders; noise; I know it would have become routine after a while; maybe some or a lot of the employees disliked or even hated working there, I don't know. Probably about 10 a day, 5 days a week? or six? The 1970s in England were times notorious for difficult relations between managers and workers; presumably it happened at Rolls-Royce also.
I haven't really gotten satisfaction from books claiming to tell "the inside story". Just wondered if anyone here had some interesting information or stories.
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah to everyone!

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2013 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy,
I recently visited a well known UK RR&B supplier to buy some parts and found that they had just taken delivery of two factory bodies in white, still on their trolleys, a Shadow 2 and a Camargue, believe it or not.
I took several photos as I doubt there are many more (if any) anywhere in the world. They were both complete with the doors and all other loose metal parts which would be painted stored inside the shells.

Both the shells are "price on application" so I wonder how much they are worth? There was evidence of rust and corrosion on both shells so the passage of time has not been kind to them.

Kind regards,
Chris

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, 16 December, 2013 - 05:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Chris; I did see these previously: first on Montague's website, and now they are on offer by Flying Spares who I think bought out Montague's and so obtained them. At least both these appear to have been primed; the ones in the photo I have are completely bare, far as I can tell.
Anyway, just another peek "behind the scenes".

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, 17 December, 2013 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unfortunately most primer paints are porous so correct storage is critical. Even if kept indoors there's no guarantee that water vapour and oxygen can't get through the coating to attack the metal underneath. I know that aluminium doesn't 'rust', but it can still corrode in the same circumstances.

But wouldn't it be neat to get one and chuck in all the bits 'n' bobs (suitably overhauled) from a basket case Rolls? Having found some perforation in the driver's side footwell of my Shadow 1 I wish I could do that. Just can't afford to

Oh, well: Out with the trusty welder. I think I'll invest in upgrading from a simple stick model to a TIG/MIG/brazing setup.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, 17 December, 2013 - 11:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,I have sympathy, replaced the passenger rear floor , front wheel arches and boot valence on our Spirit a couple of years ago. I upgraded our "home use " MIG to a professional 200amp single phase unit; the improvement in weld quality was staggering and the speed of use saved no end of time.Best £800 I have spent on tooling.It made restoring the front wings on my S1 and the bodyshell of my sons Morris 1100 and his Wolsley "landcrab" easygoing.My son has just phoned to tell me he is looking at another Morris 1800 "landcrab" restoration project; looks like a lot more excercise for the welder!
Mark

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 18 December, 2013 - 00:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There can't be many "landcrabs" left now Mark. Is your son cornering the market?

Regards, Nigel.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, 18 December, 2013 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel, he informs me tonight that he is looking at 2 of the things !both need extensive work.They do seem to have a cult following, probably amongst retired Sailors given the ride characteristics.Feel sorry for his neighbours,if he buys these, then thats 7 cars on his drive and front lawn; 4 of which are in regular use.
Mark

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, 18 December, 2013 - 19:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I have re bodied cars in the late Sixties and early Seventies all these cars were new model damaged cars They were a pain to get right all the fiddly things you had to do all the bits that were broken when removing them from the donor car it would be a braver man than I to tackle this job on a Rolls Royce or Bentley and it would need to have been an exceptional car prior to having the new shell.