How hot should an alternator get? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » How hot should an alternator get? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2019 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys
On my ‘65 Mustang, I upgraded the dynamo to a 70a Alternator because the dynamo could not keep up.
The two biggest draws on the car are the high power radiator fan and the Aircon blower in the car.
I have noticed that whenever I check the alternator temperature, it is too hot to touch and that worries me.
I know underbonnet temperatures can get very high (especially in the Shadow!j , so part of the problem may be due to localized temperature.
I am going on a motorway journey soon, so should be able to do a good run where neither fans are working and I will check the temp again then.
In the meanwhile, just wondering how hot do they tend to get? We often add radiator fans and plug in accessories willy nilly and forget to check if the electrics can keep up!
I am just contemplating adding a radiator fan to the Shadow, and am worried about over stressing the electrics.
Thanks

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2019 - 16:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like you may have a shorted diode , get it tested.
Mike

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2019 - 17:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I read somewhere that one of the current RRs has TWO WATER-COOLED ALTERNATORS!!! Is this true or did I dream it? Or was this an ordinary bit of journalist nonsense?

Alan D.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2019 - 17:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's true Alan

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 528
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2019 - 22:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are 2 water cooled alternators in the Phantom and BMW 760 variant

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, 17 September, 2019 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would the fact that I have installed the alternator, but I have left the dynamo regulator in line, affect?
Would the internal regulator battle the external regulator and cause the alternator to heat up?

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Tuesday, 17 September, 2019 - 10:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

If you have a DC clamp on meter, check it. Remember also the 70A is at full song so at idle or bopping along at 2k you have lots less amps to play with.

The double regulator shouldn't be a problem but not knowing how it's wired, that would be a wild guess.

Are you sure your alternator has internal regulation as well as rectification?

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 976
Posted on Tuesday, 17 September, 2019 - 11:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe you are just asking too much from just 70 amps. You can get a bolt-in stock style alternator rated at 100 amps.

I had no need for a car in Spain but I would think you can take it to an autoparts store and they could check it in Gibraltar. (At least they do in the USA.)

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, 17 September, 2019 - 11:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick.
Remove the dynamo regulator.
A field energised dynamo -generator uses voltage applied to the field windings to regulate the DC output.

An alternator regulator dose the same thing, but differently.
Having them both there is going to give you grief, particularly is you are pumping AC through the generator regulator.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 977
Posted on Tuesday, 17 September, 2019 - 13:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The original should have been a single wire alternator with an external regulator. I agree two regulators may cause problems. Here is an example of a 1965 Mustang 100 Amp Alternator Single Wire.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/powermaster-alternator-100-amp-one-wire-v-belt-pulley-smooth-look-1965-1973/p/ALT38-V/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: