BMW RR VERSUS VW BENTLEY Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » BMW RR VERSUS VW BENTLEY « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.85
Posted on Friday, 08 August, 2014 - 05:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When RR split from Bentley I wondered who got the best deal. BMW got only a brand and VW got the factory and a brand. The factory without a brand is just a building with machinery and on its own worth very little.
So it is all down to the brand.

I have said elsewhere that the shape of the RR radiator is awkward for car body designers. I think the shape which is world famous is maybe not an asset but a millstone round the neck of BMW.

Whereas Bentleys rad shape is far more adaptable.

The BMW RR can only make formal looking cars with that shape. Sporty stuff looks wrong because if the rad shape is made shorter and lower it looks tacky.

I think VW got the best bit.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, 08 August, 2014 - 19:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

But BMW are not using the traditional shape RR radiator grille that we all know and love. They are using a very poor substitute for it.

So in that case, I guess they could use whatever shape they like.

I imagine the grille will gradually change and evolve over time, until it bears no resemblance to the classic RR grille.

Tim North
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.169.74.236
Posted on Friday, 08 August, 2014 - 09:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Its all a matter of opinion. I agree that the R-R grille is awkward and it goes better with a more upright and formal shape. The R-R Phantom is fare more imposing and impressive than the current Bentleys which-particularly in respect of the GT are bland and therefore blend in with most of the other traffic. As far as sporty shapes are concerned there are loads of sporty cars on the road- some better than others. Sporty is a route, along with 4x4s that RR should avoid. Tony Ward said that Goodwood would produce the Rolls-Royce of cars but that shouldn't mean an attempt to do so in every category of car.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.77
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2014 - 08:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I see the Phantom as a limousine and the Ghost as a smaller version
I see no reason why RR shouldn't make a car slightly smaller than the shadow. Maybe between a 5 And 7 BMW
The current style appears to be a mix of RR post war styling cues. Maybe the rad shape isn't necessary. Could just the RR logo could be used.
A complete range of RR cars including 4x4 are not a good idea. However a smaller better handling personal car would work well. I if I were designing the car would design a car that has no past connection apart from mechanics.
Bentley is still using the RR shapes for is formal cars. The sporty ones are not to my taste.
To me an E type is a proper sports car shape and a Jensen Interceptor for the GT experience.

The Camargue is spoilt by its face and could have been so much more.

Rather than try to suggest nice RR shapes. Why not draw what you would like then post them to this site.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 600
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2014 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IIRC the new Ghost was originally meant to be a 'baby' Rolls. Eventually a compromise (of sorts) was reached so that it's now seen a 'chick' Rolls for Sugar Daddies to buy for their ... daughters