Borescopes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Borescopes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Friday, 24 November, 2017 - 08:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone recommend a borescope? I once tried one out but found the focal length was far too short for my purposes. Anything over 3 inches was a blur. I'm looking for one that will focus like a normal camera but with the ability to get in awkward places, like behind the engine or down by the hydraulic accumulators.

I notice you can get low cost ones that use a laptop screen, that plug in through the USB port. I was wondering if anyone had used any of these.

Geoff

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, 24 November, 2017 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bought a USB borescope, but because I'm a penny-pinching miser, it was a cheap one. Rubbish! After trying it on a few jobs I threw it away.
Buy one from a dealer/shop who knows.

Alan D.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bought a cheap and cheerful borescope and it was just excellent!!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Endoscope-5-5mm-Lens-2M-5M-10M-USB-Endoscope-Red-2IN1-Inspection-Camera-Endoscopio-Android-OTG/32703901315.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.WK8hsv

works well with my mobile phone.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 638
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

You got the fancy one. I bought a 1m and a 3m for just a little more. While they are super cheap, they both work great.

Don't use them often, but when you need them they are huge time savers.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 639
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I can send you one of mine if you want. I really don't need two.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your replies.

Alan - I too bought one a few years back and returned it. I don't think it was particularly bad - it just didn't meet my expectations.

Omar - I have just ordered one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Ross - I decided to buy one off the net which will save you the hassle of boxing it up and mailing it to me - I very much appreciate your kind offer.

I realize now that what I'm really looking for is something with a much larger focal length than what is normally available. The link that Omar gave me lists one with a focal length of 5cm to infinite so it will be interesting to see how it performs. In any case it is always useful to have such a tool available in the garage for very close up work.

What I would like would be a standard camera with a zoom lens, but very small so I can get it in the crevices of the car. I did see such an instrument on the net but at $3000 it was a little above my budget of $20.

I do have an immediate use - My rear accumulator appears to have sprung a leak . The brake fluid is dripping onto the exhaust pipe. It would be so useful if I could get a camera in there and locate the source of the leak.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 16:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Geoff,
I had a hydraulic oil leak at the back of my Azure. It turned out to be the two flexible hoses that feed the rear rams. I think these are specific to the Azure though. Which car do you have the leak on?
Good luck with the scope.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 16:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar

My car is a shadow 1 (SRX18501). The leak is coming from the accumulator area or it may be the high pressure feed pipe that's routed between the rear of the engine. I noticed this had been brazed at some time (before I owned the car) and I'm wondering if the braze has failed.

I've recently replaced all the brake hoses on my car so they were the first thing I checked when I saw the brake fluid dripping down. I was hoping they would be responsible but they are ok. The leak is definitely coming from the accumulator area but I can't get in close enough to determine precisely where the leak is.

I sent off for the boroscope you linked to. Delivery is 10 days however I was amazed at the low price. I suspect the Yuan/USD exchange rate makes this possible. Whilst I am waiting I will attempt to have a closer look or maybe even try getting close enough with my video camera. I just don't want to remove the accumulators until I am absolutely sure the leak is coming from them.

I had noticed the firm AliBaba before but they always sell in bulk. I'm wondering if AliExpress is their retail portal. If so, they will certainly give Amazon a run for their money.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 872
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff the leak is more than likely the O ring between the accumulator and the sphere, the pipe can seize in the connecting nut and when you try to loosen it the pipe twists and by the time you realize what is happening the pipe is destroyed, a new pipe from flying spares is approx £150 I imagine that is what happened in the past and a repair was made hence the brazing, all of the above happened to me earlier this year.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 03:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard

I fear you are right regards the accumulator/sphere O-ring. I will try feeling to see if the acv is dry and the sphere wet, or I may wait the 10 days for the boroscope to arrive and get on with another job I want to carry out.

I'm not relishing having to remove the accumulators again. The puddle forms below the rear one, which means both will have to be removed (my car is a 74 SY1). The good news is I've done the job before so what took 2 days will be done in 2 hours (famous last words).

The other job I mentioned is the solenoid operated boot lock. I didn't realize the series 1 had these until I noticed (after 5 years of ownership) that there was a push button switch in the glove box. I would like to get it working.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 874
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 06:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff my car is also a 1974 S1, SRH 19529.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard

Yours is more recent then mine - SRX18501.

Does the boot lock button in the glove box work on your car? I notice the switch is a click on click off type. Do you know the operation of it i.e. does it just unlock the boot or does it toggle the lock in some way.

Geoff

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On my SS1 SRH 17766 the glove box boot switch is also a push button.
Once the central locking is activated the boot catch lock can only be released with the push switch or key.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Thursday, 30 November, 2017 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back on track, the one I use is a Draper been faultless in operation, keep batteries well charged before use.
spec pix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehO2i82j9sE

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, 30 November, 2017 - 14:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Gents....yes, a very useful tool the endoscope/boriscope.
This is the model I decided on mainly because the camera head is small enough at 8.2mm to be able to go down plug holes.

https://www.amazon.com/Potensic-Digital-Endoscope-Borescope-Waterproof-Camera-Diameter/dp/B00XN1H6HI/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1512015188&sr=1-11&keywords=borescopes+inspection+cameras&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

You can learn a lot about an engines condition this way.
And bodywork cavities to check on corrosion and a myriad of other tasks.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, 01 December, 2017 - 01:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Max, does the 5m long cable get in your way?

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, 01 December, 2017 - 01:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark....not if your work before hand where to put the cable as it is fairly rigid.
I have found that if you work the same way as the cable would normally coil, you have no problem.
I find the 5 mtr length very useful especially for
bodywork purposes, sills and the like to get a good idea of what is going on inside closed body sections.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: