Hello Everyone Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Hello Everyone « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Yet to post message
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 01 May, 2012 - 07:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi my name is Richard Yeaman,I am very pleased to have been accepted as a new member of this Forum, I have owned my Silver Shadow SRH19529 since June last Year,Like many of you I have spent the last few days lying on my back with a three ton as a pillow and a pair of axle stands to talk to while i try to remove the A side exhaust manifold to replace the gaskets, I am sure i will need some help in the future and thank you for help already received.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Tuesday, 01 May, 2012 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, welcome to the forum - not the easiest job on a Shadow however patience is a must and sometimes it helps to walk away for a day or two before coming back to continue the job if you don't seem to be getting anywhere.

When you get the manifold off, make sure you check for cracks and the flatness of the mating flanges as these are prone to warping. You can get the flanges ground by a toolmaker or engineering shop that has a decent surface grinder.

richard george yeaman
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 01 May, 2012 - 18:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David

Thank you for the advice will do.

Richard.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, 02 May, 2012 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Despite the extras that may need to be removed first (year dependent) I find that the A bank manifold is easier to remove than the B bank one. I can remove and replace either from above without resorting to grovelling around under the car. However this is more to do with necessity than anything else as my arthritis makes it almost impossible for me to work from below for any length of time - or at all on 'a bad day'.
Torquing down that rearmost lower bolt is the worst. I find that it's easier (hunh?) if you aproach it from the other side of the car and lay across the top of the engine. Undignified I know, but at least you can just reach it without having new joints surgically inserted into your forearms.
Unfortunately it seems that I may have to remove the A bank manifold again as it seems to be blowing agin since I replaced ther whole exhaust system with an almost new one I removed from a car being broken. PITA I know, but at least I saved over GBP 800 for my trouble!
Anyway: Stick around and you will find that this forum and its friendly members are a source of unending info on the joys of DIY RR/B maintenance. Don't forget to keep up with the subjects covered in Tee-One Topics plus the full workshop manual available in PDF format here

richard george yeaman
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 03 May, 2012 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan my car is 1974 SRH19529 in October it will be thirtyeight my own age 70 past in march,
I would have a few aches and pains also, I would think it wouldnt be too comfortable laying across that pair of su carbs, I ordered the gaskets and some new bolts from flying spares today spent a bit of time cleaning the engine bay, keeps you out of the pub and gets rid of your loose change,Thank you for your input it is much apreciated.

Best Regards.

Richard.

Randy Roberson
Experienced User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, 03 May, 2012 - 11:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome! I just changed the B-Bank gaskets on SRH9391 1970 Silver Shadow and it was not nearly as bad as I expected. My manifold was off flat far enough that my bud with the machine shop had to restore the plane of the surfaces for me. Otherwise it went OK. I replaced all the bolts but cleaned and reused the tubular spacers, as they were expensive at $28US each. I am repairing the tubes to and from the choke stove now.
"He had to get under, get out and get under, get under his automobile" the old song goes.

richard george yeaman
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 03 May, 2012 - 18:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy thank you for the welcome,my surface was also off plane and very badly worn, I am useing a spare one I bought on ebay(25GBP) the tubular spacers are a rip off, Good luck with the stove pipes do you know any other appropriate songs.

Richard.