Phantom VI - gearbox adjustment Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Phantom VI - gearbox adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 277
Posted on Sunday, 21 November, 2004 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bet nobody can help with this. I need a copy of the gearbox throttle adjustment for the above car. It is a 1970 model with the good old jerkomatic Cloud gearbox and pulled by a Silver Shadow engine. I have the settings for the Shadow but wonder whether given the body dimensions and its relationship to the chassis the settings may be different.

Patrick Lockyer.
Prolific User
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, 21 November, 2004 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, May be able to give you details on the gearbox data Pressures set up ect.
Will need gearbox model number etc.
Also torque coverter,it may be different.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 03:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Torque converter ?? Fluid flywheel, mate.

Patrick Lockyer.
Prolific User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 05:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, would hopefuly come to me with model type
But only if i have the given data.
Thanks Richard.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 06:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The first PVI with a 3-speed and torque converter tranny was the Queen's, in 1976. They were not standardised, as if anything on a PVI is standard, until some years later. The others all have the 4-speed Hydramatic with a fluid flywheel, dating back to the 1952 R-Type Bentley of 1952, but with an extra clutch plate in the rear drum, and possibly sprags à la pre-1968 RHD Shadow. Also, the THM400 3-speed has no throttle linkage to the transmission, but has a vacuum modulator instead.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, The PVI's did go into the 400 tran but I don't know when. When I was in the Factory in '80 they were assembling chassis with the 3 speed. Actually I didn't notice (there were so many things to look at) until I looked at the gear change quadrant and instead of the good old Jerkomatic N432R running down the face there was PRNDIL. Which got my fantasy hormones working. If you have/had a very nice 4 speed Shadow with a clapped out gearbox there must be ready made gear to strap on a 400 and change the quadrant. Nowadays you probably wouldn't bother. The other development was the application of Shadow braking bits to the PVI. I had thought they simply hooked the output of the accumulators into the brake lines with some sort of valving/balance setup but apparently the output was used to operate the old master cylinders. This seems likely since if they scrapped the Jerkomatic for the 400 they would immediately have lost the servo motor. My didn't they weave tangled webs?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As implied, Bill, the Jerkomatic Shadows were sneered at and avoided. Nowadays they are a party trick to be cherished and envied.

I recall that Phantoms changed to THM in around 1980, but the brakes were some wierd hybrid. Let me research.

PS: see you in Canberra in January.

RT

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

I could e-mail the two pages from TSD471, section 2 pages 14 and 16. However, they are not new to you as I copied your manual in 1980. I tried posting them, but the pixel limit renders the resolution too poor to read.

I expect that the PVI lever dimensions are different, but the same principles certainly apply: the geometry should be such that the transmission valve is fully backed off at idle, and at full throttle it is fully depressed. The trick is to set the lever angles such that the throttle valve starts to open slowly as you open the throttle, but opens more quickly as the throttle is wider. This maintains smooth shifts up and down but preserves kickdown and fluid pressure (=stall capacity). Usually, someone has set it horribly wrongly years ago.

RT.

Patrick Lockyer.
Prolific User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, 23 November, 2004 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry chaps am defeated on this one.
No tecnical data on gearbox service repair set up in my old books.
Bill, Richard, i am intrigued with the set up I had a two speeder years ago in a Daimler but i always thought it was three speed as it had a lockup clutch plate one to one on top at a given speed with throttle settings.
Of course in my misspent youth i was to hard on the setup and wore the plate out hence finding the plate was the third gear!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2004 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill C.
Have now found details for the Hydramatic box with the torus driven fluid coupling.
States a creep test for the linkage, engine speed, carb etc.
Also main line oil pressures and system pressures through the ranges in N D-4,D3 D2 L R
Would this be any help.