Removing the horn contact plate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Removing the horn contact plate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, 28 October, 2008 - 20:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm about to attempt to remove the horn contact plate to check the connections to see if I can find out why my horn has stopped working.

The manual's instructions seem straightforward enough but if anybody knows what is the most likely source of the problem - or perhaps where to start looking first - it'd be much appreciated.

cheers,

Jeff

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, 28 October, 2008 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just reading further in the manual there is apparently a special Steering Wheel removal tool noted for later LHD cars- SRX6001 onwards. Also somewhat more complicated instructions.

Mine is a 1974 RHD Shadow SRH20280. Will I need a special tool or need to scribe the wheel position? Should I leave this to an expert?

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, 29 October, 2008 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey, Usually they come off quite easily. Loosen the nut and lightly pummel on the rim ( a bit like you are playing a drum roll,) after a while it should pop loose.

Tipex the splines so you can align it again, or start with it exactly straight and put it back the same way.

I guess you've checked the fuses? The horn contact screws in about 6" down the column, earth it there and see if the horns are working.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, 29 October, 2008 - 13:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SUCCESS !

Thanks Paul (& Peter ! - I got the phone message just after I'd finished putting it all back together :-)

How goes it up your way? Bentley's shaping up I hope.

The problem was the wire was twisted just on the far side of the snap-on contact and a bit of the plastic sleeve had worn away - leading to it shorting out on the steering column.

I slipped a bit of heat shrink over it, straightened it all out, checked the earth and generally tightened things up and it now sounds like a fog horn.

I love this learning curve.