Gearbox actuator relays Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Gearbox actuator relays « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Oli Davis
Yet to post message
Username: ol27

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 29 December, 2007 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,

This is my first post and I would just like to say what a great forum this is!

I have a Silver Shadow 2 and was wondering if anyone here could tell me if it is possible to replace the old "wound" relays in the gearbox actuator with newer style switching relays?

I ask this as I found one to be faulty am not sure if you can even get these type of relays any more?

If anyone could suggest a type of relay or maybe somewhere I could get a replacement or even a fix of some kind it would be much appreciated.

If you need any more info just let me know.

Many thanks

Oli Davis
New User
Username: ol27

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 03 January, 2008 - 02:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

bump

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, 03 January, 2008 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Oli,

It should be quite easy to change the relay to a normal type by rewiring it directly with connectors or soldering the wires.

The original type relays are fairly robust and may respond to a clean up and lubricate if they haven't burnt out.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 775
Posted on Thursday, 03 January, 2008 - 10:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Oli,

It is my understanding the old Chrysler "Torqueflite" push button automatic transmissions from the early 1960's used a similar actuator and the relays may be similar. A check of the Chrysler part suppliers/wreckers may be worthwhile.

I do not know which part of the world you are from but the Australian cars using the push button transmission were the R and S series Valiants and the next model which I think was the AP5 Valiant. This transmission would have been common in the USA and this may be the best place for parts.