Changing Shadow air-con fan mounting ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Changing Shadow air-con fan mounting screws « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Experienced User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, 17 November, 2007 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm attempting to change these on the left-hand side fan (RHD vehicle). I've got the 3 holding screws and washers off but am wondering - does the motor unit come completely out of the casing or do you have to try to get the old mounting screws (the ones with the rubber bit in the middle...$52 each - ouch!) out with the motor just pulled back a bit from where it should sit.

Are there more screws I should undo to get the whole casing out?

Any advice much appreciated

Graeme Söderlund
Prolific User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, 19 November, 2007 - 16:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,unable to offer advice on removal or the number of screws etc to be undone - but can offer advice on the cost of the mounting screws! I went through the same exercise last year but bought replacements from Blackwoods for less than $10.00 in total! Admittedly I had to machine them down by 1/2" in length but all else fitted perfectly!

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, 19 November, 2007 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff,

You should be able to pull the motor out after undoing the 3 nuts on the rubber mountings. You should then be able to undo the other side of the rubber mount and change them.

I don't see any advantage in taking the whole frame out - although - behind the frame is the recirculatory flap. This flap pivots on two rubber bushes. You might want to make sure they are still OK and change them while you have it apart. If they go, the flap can fall and jam.

You should be able to check them from inside the car before you start. They are above the front outer feet of the people sitting in the front seats. Turn the A/C from hot to cold to make them operate. while they are moving wiggle them and make sure they are held in their bushes.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, 20 November, 2007 - 10:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I couldn't seem to get the motor to slide out so it's possible something has bent a bit inside and is catching it. I couldn't manage to undo the motor end of the screws as well- perhaps they're rusted in.

Graeme - is there a brand name for the screws you bought ? I've actually picked up a spare set from ebay for a third of the factory price, which I'll keep in case the other fan ever needs fixing but someone else out there might benefit -- I had read that you could get such things but that the thread was different and you had to tap a new one. Which country is Blackwoods in ?

In any case the car is currently in the hands of Robert C in Melbourne after an exciting journey down for some maitenance. A not very considerate driver cut in while we were overtaking, forcing some very hard brakework and a wrenching manoevre to the side of the road...The front engine mount gave way and introduced the fan to the radiator and a little bit of freelance metal sculpting took place.

Fortunately my partner was driving - much more experienced than I am - and nobody was hurt.

I must say the NRMA were marvellous. I took the advice here and had premium cover and the local guys in Seymour flatbedded the car to Chapmans doing all the right things with the towing hooks.

I'm not looking forward to having to talk to Shannons just 6 months after I took out the policy but I guess I'll have to.

Meanwhile I'm cooling my heels in marvellous Melbourne.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 934
Posted on Tuesday, 20 November, 2007 - 12:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I sometimes wonder where I go wrong. I must have mentioned in detail a number of times on these pages and certainly in Tee One Topics the necessity to keep an eye on the front engine mount on the vee eights. The timing case cum waterpump housing has a join right in the middle between them with a soft rubber 'gasket'. This rots, oil dribbles out soaks the front mount until the thing is like jelly. Brakes are slammed on, inertia keeps the engine where it is, the car goes down and you are up for a fan, cowling and radiator as well as the mount. Are we all so arthritic we can't simply lie on the ground and look at the front mount - with a torch you can see it through the wheel arches, if there is oil there be very afraid.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, 21 November, 2007 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

Yes you are right to wonder. I'd read about these and having the front one changed was on the list of things to get done in Melbourne - just didn't make it the last 90kms. Dumb move: I should have tried to have it fixed locally before hitting the highway.

I talked to Robert this morning and he said it didn't actually break but it was very soft: "like jelly" I guess.

I was very lucky -only the radiator core was destroyed - the fans could be recovered; apparently one of the fins was a bit out of shape. I don't know if Robert uses the zip-lock bag trick to protect these mounts but I might ring him tomorrow and suggest it.

Incidentally Garrath Will told me on the phone this morning that there's a picture of SRH20280 in the latest London & Derby if anyone wants to see what the Moreland Green over Pewter colour scheme looks like.

Meanwhile I will write out 100 times: "I must not ignore Bill Coburn's advice"

A very chastened Jeff :-)

Graeme Söderlund
Prolific User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, 22 November, 2007 - 10:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

there was no brand name on the screws I purchased from Blackwoods - simply came as a loose item! Blackwoods are an Australian Institution - all over the country and even in Melbourne! I didn't have to change the thread - only the length of the screw.

I trust you have written out the 100 lines and sent them for approval?

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 935
Posted on Thursday, 22 November, 2007 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well young Graeme you mucked up the last lines you did!! But seriously I have had three phone calls saying 'I didn't know that'. One bloke rang me back to say he had done it the lazy way and slipped his jack under the sump with a bit of wood to protect the latter and lightly jacked and when the car didn't lift at all had a look and there was 1/2" gap in the front mount. He has since become very religious and waiting on the supply of a new front mount.

One of the locals sold an S1 to a lady who should have known better but she drove it back to Sydney where she lived and before she hit the traffic pulled in for fuel. In those days a hunky attendant would rush out and clean windscreens check oil etc. Seems the one she scored was brighter than the average and commented that the Bentley was right up with the times having a slant six! (like the old Valiant you may recall). She must have looked perplexed because out came the boss mechanic who noticing the upper radiator hose about to snap in half suggested that maybe the engine had fallen over!! It had - the front mountings had sheared right off!

When I got my Spur a car seemingly well cared for etc etc, I had my initial wander around underneath and found both rear mountings sheared off and all that had stopped the engine from lying down were the actual attaching bolts securing what remained of the rear mounts. Spirits in the early eighties had crook mountings from the manufacturer!! Mind you the car had beautiful paint work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!