"Flying Lady" anti theft protection... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » "Flying Lady" anti theft protection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

james woo
New User
Username: james

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, 01 August, 2003 - 11:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I went to a classic car auction once where I notice that if someone trys to move/steal the "Flying Lady" on the bonnet of the 1976 Corniche, the horn will beep to warn off the offender. (I think the "Flying Lady" is connected to the horn, when it is moved, it pulls the horn)

I try that with the 1973 silver shadow that I am looking at to buy, but it doesn't beep, is this feature only available in a certain model? Or is the anti-thift feature on the shadow broken?

Cheers
James

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, 01 August, 2003 - 14:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

This was one of the running changes I referred to in another post - it certainly was not incorporated on 1973 cars however some owners have fitted after-market alarms and included a micro-switch on the "Flying Lady" to deter potential "acquirers" of this very desirable item. Changes to the Shadow range were always incorporated into the Corniche for final testing before they were adopted for all cars

Graeme Söderlund
Frequent User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, 14 August, 2003 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James,

I have a 1974 Shadow which has an alarm fitted to the Flying Lady. If anyone touches her, there is an immediate response from the horns on the car! So much so that it would frighten anyone within a mile radius.

I understand that this was not originally fitted to the car, but was an added precaution fitted by an auto alarm branch of Strathfield Car Radio at Concord in Sydney.

If you are in Sydney, you might like to ring Strathfield Car Radio at Concord and talk to them...the work was carried out for Amos Classic Cars in Parramatta Road Burwood.

It is certainly worth having some form of alarm fitted to protect the Flying Lady.

Regards,

Graeme.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.48.8
Posted on Friday, 15 August, 2003 - 00:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And so has my 1974 Shadow.

Except that when the horn goes it is continous for about 30 seconds.

It sounds like the QE 2 berthing at Southampton.

This is easy to do.

Fit a micro switch so that as the mascot is moved the micro switch closes the contacts.

When every the lady is moved the part inside the grill moves up.

Then use a timer relay -- an interior light delay relay from a scrap car is ideal.

Or there is the kit available which is easy to fit providing you have the tools and the DIY skills.

If you can put up a shelf in the house and understand the electrics then you can do this.

However when I park my car in the garage I turn the battery isolator off which means the alarm does not work. So do bear this in mind when you disconnect.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2003 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A note on microswitches for these alarms. I have noticed a few using the switches used on windows blowers etc. They are NOT waterproof and when they short you can have a platoon of neighbours at your front door at 3.00AM knocking loudly! The factory scheme on a sprung Lady uses the switch used on the lower gear change on four speed clouds etc. There are two there one for the reverse light and one for the starter isolator. They are apparently waterproof, much more robust than the other switches and give no trouble.

Lastly, my Spur has one of those ridiculous disappearing Ladies. Introcar was selling a fancy lockable plate that could go over the hole after she has descended but it seemed to be a one off gadget. Does anyone know of a source of these things since it is impractical to whip the old girl out while you sleep in the Motel. Very lastly, has anybody got a scheme for alarming these descending ladies?

james woo
Frequent User
Username: james

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2003 - 11:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Guys.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.32.8
Posted on Tuesday, 26 August, 2003 - 02:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The switch on my car which is factory fitted is not waterproof-- just water resistant like a cheap watch.

Tongue in cheek.

The switch is high up inside the grill behind the RR badge.

I have never had problems.

But the water is something I never thought until now.

I have a blank made from stainless as per Swedish cars which I use when in less than - shall we say -nice places.

The blank touches down on the switch so the alarm does not sound.

I thought the disappearing lady was alarmed.