Spur DIP "Add Mineral Oil" flash... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Spur DIP "Add Mineral Oil" flash « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

A. A. Weaver
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.196.3.211
Posted on Sunday, 02 February, 2014 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my 1994 Spur, with acceleration, I get a "add mineral oil" flash for 2-3 seconds. After the car warms up, this goes away. If I overfill the reservoir, I do not have the problem for several months, but it makes a mess on the floor. When it quits making a mess, the flash returns.

Can I add the (RH 13412) Mineral Oil Delay Unit to my car? The technical info (TSD 6000, 10/2013) says the software for delay has been in since 1992, but mine does not seem to be working).
If I add the delay relay, will it screw up my display?
The delay unit is relatively inexpensive.

Or, is it easier to replace the float sensor / reed switch?

(Message approved by david_gore)

James Feller
Grand Master
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, 04 February, 2014 - 02:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

if you are losing HSMO fluid slowly, usually from either of the two cam pumps, their o rings do need replacing every so often or indeed loose fittings or perished pipes....this is what the little flash is telling you, the reservoir is slowly emptying. If all is well however and you are not seeing drips and dribbles of green fluid under the car (I don't mean when you overfill the reservoir as yes you will see a huge 'dinner plate size' pool then )its most likely the float sensor is being a bit too sensitive, try removing and cleaning it up first to make sure its not clogged up otherwise replace and you should have no more annoying intermittent flash....provided as I said their are not actual leaks in the hydraulic system.

Cheers

J

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2990
Posted on Tuesday, 04 February, 2014 - 21:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Important is: where is the puddle ?

If it is under the sill by the front left hand door post, then it is overflow indicating that a level sensor is not doing its job. The reservoir overflow drain tubes are located there. If the puddle is elsewhere, then you have a leak.

RT.

A.A.Weaver
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.196.3.211
Posted on Friday, 07 February, 2014 - 14:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, James & Richard.

Actually, I get a flash, even with the float levels showing solid green; can this happen within the limits of a normal sensor? (the reservoirs were professionally cleaned out, about 4 years ago). The current problem started about x 1 1/2 yrs. ago.

I can stop the flash if I add fluid anyway (with green floats), but I often get some HSMO on the floor, and even a little on top of the reservoir. The flash stops, but restarts a while after HSMO quits dripping.

I do know about the LH door post location, but would like to actually see the drain tubes; are they hard to visualize?

Also, what is the best way to inspect the cam pumps? Can I see them without a hoist? I know what they should look like from my TSD CD.

I appreciate all the kind help!

AW
Omaha

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: