Camber adjustment on '74 Silver Shado... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Camber adjustment on '74 Silver Shadow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Oliver Corfe
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 15:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just had wheel alignment done on my Silver Shadow, and have been advised that camber also needs to be adjusted. However, Bob Jane in Mt Barker did not have tool for this. Can you advise who in Adelaide would have equipment for this?

My telephone No is 8370 9056
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 15:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No special tool is needed just some largish spanners to rotate the eccentric bolt on the upper lever to adjust camber and the nuts on the compliant rods to adjust caster. Whoever carries out the adjustments will need at least a camber/castor guage and turntables or a four wheel alignment set up.

On a car of this age unless the upper suspension lever bushes have been replaced you may well find it impossible to get the camber back within spec. The range of adjustment is quite small and is often insufficient to compensate for worn or split bushes. The compliant rod mounts are also a weak area and if worn will give rapid tyre wear. Both will affect the handling adversely. Camber and caster have to be adjusted in conjunction with one another to get both back into spec.