Scratch Removal from Grille Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Scratch Removal from Grille « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wingnut
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 14:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good evening (or whatever time of day you consider it). I work for an suto detailer in Clark, New Jersey, USA.

We will be detailing a 1997 Silver Wrath (I think the spelling is incorrect) soon. The customer wishes some scratches removed from the grille Is anyone aware of a method to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Vatter
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 15:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I own a Silver Wraith and have experience in this task.

The radiator shell is made of "Staybrite" which is chemically very close to 304 stainless. However, you cannot polish it with a high speed buffing wheel as you would 304 stainless. This is because the Staybrite is not very homogeneous, and there are spots of softer metal in the matrix that the high speed wheel will rip out leaving a terrible mess.

To remove scratches, start with wet/dry sandpaper, using a grit size appropriate for the depth of the scratch. Increase the grit number finishing with 2000 grit paper. All sanding must be done by hand, wet, and with a block behind the paper to avoid making a wavy place in the surface or ripping out the soft spots of the matrix.

After you have it as good as you can get with 2000 paper, go to Simichrome polish. This is a pink paste. It is a name brand that is not usually carried by the "PepBoys" type auto store. I think it is made in Germany. This polish has a very fine abrasive, much finer than in the other polishes you might be able to buy.

Autosol is another brand I have heard works well but I have no personal experience. Hand polish with a soft cloth. Cotton is best.

No doubt you are charging your customer by the hour. Better tell him it is not going to be cheap to polish a Silver Wraith radiator.