CO2 levels. Wich are the right ones? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » CO2 levels. Wich are the right ones? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Miguel A. Garcia
Frequent User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, 03 January, 2006 - 22:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, firstly, i have to say that i have searched in the topic but i did not find it (or i did not know to do the search) so if it was yet discussed, please, sorry.
I have to pass MOT (ITV called in Spain) to SRH3430 and i would like to know the CO levels for these cars (6250 CC engine) to try to rectify it before going to MOT. Where could i find these levels?
I have the Gunsonīs Gastester to check it myself. After checking i am not still sure about if i would be able to perform it by myself, but i will try. I have also got a Pertronics ignition Kit and new sparkplug wires to improve ignition. Any sugestion?

Thank you
regards from Spain,

Miguel

Miguel A. Garcia
Frequent User

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2006 - 02:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hello,
Finally I found the spanish MOT (ITV) requirements for CO emissions. May be they are the same in the whole European Union. If any friend Knows them in other countries could post them.
The text terms says:

"...it will apply the CO emissions provided by the carīs manufaturer. If this details is unknown, the levels will not exceed the following:

cars made BEFORE 1st October 1986: CO-4,5 % vol
cars made AFTER 1st October 1986: CO-3,5 % vol
..."

Are these levels simmilar to the ones asked in other countries? Are the CO-4,5 % vol level a reallistic one for these cars?

Arthur Francis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 202.67.65.166
Posted on Sunday, 08 January, 2006 - 22:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Miguel,
At idle with any emission control equipment blanked off (air pumps etc)the CO reading should be between 2.5% and 4.5% .
These specifications are a guide for pre 1986 cars
meaning pre catalytic converter (for Australia).
Hope this helps.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Miguel A. Garcia
Frequent User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2006 - 22:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Arthur.
Yes, it helps.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, 10 January, 2006 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please be very careful with these settings. Do contact your local authorities, armed with the information from Crewe, for the correct CO settings. They vary from country to country for cars of the same specification. Please also look it up in your workshop manual to confirm any figures suggested anywhere else.

The title was CO2. The MINIMUM figure should be 11%.

For example, on my injected Turbo R, the local requirements here in Switzerland are for a CO figure of twice the Crewe recommended figures. I have been at odds with them for years as it is madness. By law I must carry an official certificate of measurement at all times in the car, tested yearly by a registered outfit, showing 1.0 - 1.5% CO. Failure to have a current and compliant test certificate attracts a heavy fine in many European countries as it does here.

In general, Crewe stated the following absolute limits for CO:

Silver Shadow 4% - 4.5%
Silver Shadow II (non-injected) 2.5% - 4%
All non-injected SZ (ie post 1980) 2.5% - 3.5%
Injected cars without a catalytic converter: 0.6% - 0.8%
Injected cars with a catalytic converter: 0.5% - 0.7%.

Note that cars with a converter must have the CO measured before the converter and with the Lambda sensor removed, and in open-loop mode. The Lambda sensor must be removed and the CO meter inserted in its place. Most countries require an exhaust gas test at the tailpipe afterwards to check that the converter is functional.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, 10 January, 2006 - 05:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, 10 January, 2006 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok so the emission values are sorted.
Word of caution. Setting up the mixtures on SS1 and even the twin pipe SS2 incorrectly iE one carb weak ant the second carb rich with the total co figure correct will result in some burnt valves or hot running cylinders,if the engine timming is carried out by guess and listen the probs can be more compounded.

Arthur Francis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 202.67.65.166
Posted on Tuesday, 10 January, 2006 - 20:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou Richard.I should have been more detailed in my response.
Pat has also given some wise advice as correct dwell/timing and carburettor balance (along with a properly functioning primary/secondary ignition system)is vital for the vehicle to run smoothly and efficiently and be within those CO limits

bob
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.168.83.66
Posted on Wednesday, 01 March, 2006 - 23:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the UK the MOT CO limit is not more than 3.5%

This applies to all cars made after 1978.

Mine being a 1974 is visible smoke only.

Further reading of the regs reveals that the figures given are the maxiumum allowed for MOT purposes and are not the maunfacturers recommended figures which could be much lower.

It also says that if because of design the car can not meet the max of 3.5 % then it passes. Same applies to visible smoke.

Note ---design not lack of maintenance