Hydraulic Systems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Hydraulic Systems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jenny
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.214.50.108
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2005 - 16:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Could someone please advise in simple terms, is there much difference between the hydraulic brake and suspension system of a 1974 SS1 and a 1979 SS2.

Thanks
Jen

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 525
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2005 - 11:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jenny,

To allow our contributors to answer your question properly; they need to know more information especially the chassis numbers as cars delivered in different regions of the world were made to different specifications to meet local requireemnts and some models received specification changes before others.

It would also help if you could give the reasons behind your question as I am certain the complexity and relevance of the answer you need will depend on these reasons.

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.249.162.132
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2005 - 21:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jenny,
As far as I am aware the main differences between a 74 SS1 and a 79 SS11 are that pre 75 cars had a master cylinder in addition to the twin distribution valves, operated by linkage to the brake pedal. The plumbing arrangement also differed, i.e. whether No1 circuit operated the upper or lower pistons on the rear calipers. The distribution valves were also mounted different ways around. In addition the accumulators were also mounted on the engine differently, i.e. Shad 1's had them both mounted on the rear leftside of the engine block whereas Shad 2's had one on each side of the engine block.
So in a nutshell they are different! As David says you really need to give chassis numbers to be sure of what is what.
All the best from sunny but rather cool England.

Adrian.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 563
Posted on Monday, 21 November, 2005 - 23:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adrian out of sheer curiosity why don't you register???

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.249.162.132
Posted on Tuesday, 22 November, 2005 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,
I would love to register but am not on the internet at home, I am relying on another access point that I do not get to regularly. As soon as I get a working P.C. at home and have net access you can be sure I will register.
Thanks for the interest.
Adrian U.K.

Jenny
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.2.63
Posted on Wednesday, 23 November, 2005 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you. My friends father has a SS2 that has had lots of problems with the hydraulics. He was told that the SS1 did not have the same kind of problem because the suspension was mostly mechanical.

Jenny

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, 24 November, 2005 - 10:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jenny,

Whoever told your family friend this does not know much about the Silver Shadow and derivative models. Adrian's information is correct as there are no other significant engineering differences between the Shadow I and Shadow II suspension/hydraulic system configuration other than some models manufactured near the end of production which used the mineral oil system to be introduced with the Silver Spirit model.

Whoever provided this information is arguably in the same class as certain forum "pests" who create problems on various R-R/Bentley forums around the world.