Ball joints Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Ball joints « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 62.253.64.18
Posted on Monday, 10 October, 2005 - 03:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have had my car tested for UK MOT. SRH 17768.

It failed on 3 things

rear seat belt loose

hand brake low.

and a ball joint.

The ball joint is the one that is at the end of the pitman arm.

The joint has a small amount of lift.

I took the oil nipple out fitted a grease nipple and pumped it up with grease. This has taken the lift out.

Is this OK or does the joint need to be rebuilt.

Do they have shims?

Is grease OK.

(Message approved by david_gore)

bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 62.253.64.18
Posted on Wednesday, 12 October, 2005 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I may be answering my own question.

I have just been to RR specalist.

He said undo the big nut at the top replace the small ball bearing which sits on the spring place two washers on top of the spring and refit nut thus putting more load on the joint.

Then pump up with grease.

The ball brg was £1 for 25 and I got them from a cycle shop.

any comments

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2005 - 12:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This should be OK for a ball joint that has been regularly lubricated since new as the ball and housing should have minimal wear as a consequence - the spring may have taken a "permanent set" over time from the original preload and the technique suggested restores the preload to eliminate the free play. I doubt if the grease would have any effect as the first use of the steering would extrude the grease from between the ball and its housing.

One can only appreciate the benefits of R-R's foresight in fitting repairable [and ones which can be lubricated regularly] components instead of today's "sealed for life" components.

Bob, please see my advice on your post about bleeding the master cylinder. Regards David