TYRE SUPPLIES - SY and SZ CARS Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » TYRE SUPPLIES - SY and SZ CARS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 545
Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2005 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just had a chase around for a new set of tyres for a Shadow II. Avons are out of the question, Bridgestone and Sumitomo are no longer being imported and the only one I could find was a Mastercraft Touring LX tyre manufactured by the American firm Coopers. The size is 230/70R15 in white wall and they are perfect. Fitted in Canberra $175 each. The lower profile (ie what the factory specified) makes a very noticeable improvement in handling over the previous popular 230/75's.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 902
Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2005 - 22:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Incidentally, Coopers in the US are the owners of the Avon tyre company in the UK.

Known in Europe as "Cheap and Cheerful", Coopers are fine in most cases. As a favour, I imported and fitted a set to a SSII last year successfully, but some SY and SZ cars do suffer the wobbles on Coopers. The SSII owner, a local RREC member in Zürich, is very happy with them. They are 235.70R15 102T rated. The size is the exact original, but the T speed rating (190km/H) is only barely legal. The minimum allowable weight rating is 101 (825kg) for our cars, so the 102 (850kg) is fine. He did not want the white band, so I fitted them inwards and blacked them. For many the whitewall/band is desirable. They cost £85 each in the UK VAT (GST) free for export, so your prices are excellent.

RT.