1993 Bentley Continental R Parts Car Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » 1993 Bentley Continental R Parts Car « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2880
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2019 - 06:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have absolutely no interest of any sort, financial or otherwise. The auctioneers call this a project car, I call it a parts car, and its history and condition seem to be accurately reported (and it ain't pretty).

Just putting this out there since these cars are very rare to begin with, and finding one as a parts vehicle that may end up going very cheap is also rare.

https://www.lelandlittle.com/l/1993-bentley-continental-r-project-car/auction/853/lot/244/

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3369
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2019 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Personally, I would be very wary of this vehicle as a donor vehicle as the major[i.e. expensive to repair] mechanical components have a high probability of requiring these repairs before they can be used in a rebuild/replacement project./

There can be little doubt the seller will have big expectations and the reserve price will be high plus the auctioneer's buyer's premium all combine to make a purchase not feasible on economic let alone practical grounds IMHO.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 704
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2019 - 00:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David as you know I try to put cars back on the road not turn them into ebay cars. If I were to buy it, it would be to put it back on the road (possibly by any means necessary). If it was truly the fastest of its kind to turn it out to pasture seems a waste. But I agree this is going to go higher than one would like if one had in mind to resale it.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2881
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2019 - 02:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I would presume that anyone would approach this car with great caution.

My prediction, though, is that it will sell for under $10K. No reserve is indicated, the car is described as having a "double salvage" title and with all sorts of "blemishes" that are far from slight noted. I doubt the owner of this car wants anything other than to unload it.

But, as I said, I have no interest in it financially or otherwise. But for anyone looking for a donor car if the price is low enough it's worth considering. If the price does not stay low enough, it's not. I can't imagine any serious Bentley aficianado purchasing this thing as anything other than a parts car. The expense of rehab would be astronomical and resale value nearly non-existent secondary to its title history.

Someone willing to dismantle it could easily part out way over $10K in parts.

Brian

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2019 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,
My first Mercedes had a salvage title. It was stolen in DC and written off by the insurance co. When it was recovered some two years later, in great condition, it was issued a salvage title from VA.DMV. Due to the title I bought the car for very little. I drove the car for two years then gifted it to my daughter who drove it to OK. and drove for another three years. True this Conti does look like a nightmare and I wouldn't touch it. I believe there is a reserve.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 709
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2019 - 10:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With the 1975 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow that I originally paid $2500 for, I have put at most $500 into it. I have sold some parts that has made all the expense back (of the $500) and has started to pay off the car. I may end up with a free car, plus pure profit when I sell it. And it will be back on the road to live more of its life.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 716
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a Rolls $4,200 negotiable (And look at the hub caps ha ha.)

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/rolls-royce/silver-shadow/2291080.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: