Hybrid Roller on eBay Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Hybrid Roller on eBay « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon Rothwell
Frequent User
Username: jon_rothwell

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2005 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks to be an early SS1, but seems to have a late engine and interior, being sold as an SS2.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ROLLS-ROYCE_W0QQitemZ4596868785QQcategoryZ18261QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting. Chassis no 31368.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 932
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2005 - 10:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovereley. SSII interior, SSII carbs & engine bay, SSII cruise control, early SS chrome bumpers, no spoiler, bodged front clearance lamps, pre-compliant suspension and pre-1971 hubcaps from the externals. Sagged springs as usual on typical Ebay horrors.

Let's be fair: maybe someone has mixed up the party snaps after a few drinks. Correct me if I am wrong: the car in the photo is Silver Mink in colour too...

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2005 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have referred this listing to E-bay management for appropriate action - the body is definitely a Shadow I pre-1974 as evidenced by the air scoops under the headlights as well as the previous comments.

I suspect this may be a rebirth of a Shadow II vehicle of dubious provenance.

Peter Colwell
New User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2005 - 15:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like the appalling term, 'Roller', might be the right title for the car.

'Roller' is one of my pet hates, right up there with 'Rangie' for the Range Rover......

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2005 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The advert also states that it has anti-lock brakes (on a Shadow?), they didn't come out until the later model SZs. Maybe he means they don't lockup because they don't work.

Jon Rothwell
Frequent User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2005 - 18:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The seller seems to have sold a couple of cars already.
Have a close look at the aircraft in one of the pictures, isn't that a Swiss registration prefix?

Something smells funny to me!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 933
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2005 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indeed, the little areoplanes are Swiss registered (HB is the Swiss prefix, and the Swiss flags on the tailfins are giveaways too). The number plates are temporary plates for a car to be exported. The picture is probably taken in Lugano by the looks.

The vehicle shown is also left hand drive, although the advert claims it is RHD.

As already noted, pre-1974 snopac air inlets, ABS ???? (it was introduced on SZ chassis 20,001 delivered in late 1986), US and Australian-spec headrests, pre-1972 hubcaps. Smells like a cat's favourite dinner alright.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 934
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2005 - 19:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Still, there are worse. The Ebay Horror Hall Of Fame is very well documented on the RREC. Here is a mild example of a hybrid:

Link to eBay Horror

Edited to remove the enormous URL.

(Message edited by admin on December 12, 2005)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 935
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2005 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A quick clarification: the Shadow interior shown is RHD, the exterior is LHD (see wipers etc).

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2005 - 03:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Careful consideration, and several visits too the loo/toilet/bathroom/restroom because that obscenity caused repeated uncontrolled regurgitation.
I must now visit my physician for medication to calm the intense nausea.
That is so "BAD" it appears intended to offend everyone that has any clue about Rolls-Royce or Bentley motor cars.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 936
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2005 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you thought your own model of R-R/B were immune, here's one more: look at all the pictures, especially the dashboard.

These are just on the tip of the Ebay iceberg.

Link to eBay Horror

Edited to remove huge URL.

(Message edited by admin on December 12, 2005)

Jon Rothwell
Frequent User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2005 - 15:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like he got the hint, pictures have now been changed to SS2.

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2005 - 18:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ohmigod; can you imagine what those cars sound like?

It's possible they still apply the death penalty for murder in Oklahoma and Ohio.

But seriously, what rankles is that these people evidently think that what they've done is terribly clever and has actually improved on the original. Also that they still feel justified in calling it a Rolls-Royce when about all that's left of RR (at least in the case of the Phantom) is the chassis frame and radiator.