Green Calipers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Green Calipers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2005 - 23:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

caliper
I have a theory that someone may like to confirm or bust. While tarting up the green finish on my mineral oil Camargues calipers recently I realised my Shadow II does not have the same finish. In 1979 the factory was producing Mineral oil Camargues and Corniches along side RR363 Shadow II's. Assuming the seals are different for each type of caliper (I think they are?) Were the Mineral oil calipers painted green to distinguish them from the RR363 calipers? This is of no real importance just curious.

Adrian Jump U.K.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.249.162.132
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2005 - 02:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't think Crewe were responsible for the somewhat garish finish to your calipers!I think the only marking to differentiate between LHM and RR363 was a green tab around the bleed nipple. Your chassis number coupled with a different fluid reservoir (also with warning panel) will indicate the use of LHM fluid. Any seal will also have a green spot on it's outer perimeter identifying it as mineral. Nothing exists on RR363 versions as at the time LHM wasn't used, except towards the end.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, 04 November, 2005 - 22:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adrian. Thank you for your reply. I was thinking more from an assembly point of view at the factory. Like you say, towards the end of Shadow II production both systems were in use. I was thinking from a staff point of view color coded calipers may have been a way of attaching the right calipers to the right car. The scans are from a 1980 sales catalogue for the Silver Spirit complete with garish calipers!
calip
calip1

Adrian U.K.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2005 - 21:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
I did reply with an apology over what is obviously a factory finish. I also mentioned that the Hunt House (RREC Headquarters) have rather nice factory posters on the dangers of mixing the two fluids, they were charging 50pence for them (about A$1.25), look rather neat framed and hanging on the garage wall. I bought the last poster of the V8 in sectioned view, again rather neat framed and hanging. I presume the last posting didn't make it through the system.

Adrian U.K.

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2005 - 02:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
I stand corrected!, the sales blurb can't lie. I must admit this is a new one on me. Perhaps it was just as you say, that they were painted green all over during the transition period until the point the Shadow finished. As an extra the Hunt House (RREC Headquarters in UK) have genuine factory posters for sale at the exhorbitant price of 50pence (about $1.25) depicting the message of not mixing RR363 with LHM, it gives the change over point and looks rather neat framed and hanging on your garage wall. I got some last visit. They also have other posters depicting things like door lock setting diagrams. I got the last poster of the V8 in sectioned view, again rather nifty. Drop them a fax or e-mail if you fancy one. Thanks for correcting me.
Adrian U.K.

My apologies Adrian for the delayed posting of your comments as I have been away for the past 10 days with very limited internet access for releasing posts - we would be very pleased if you could register as a user to avoid this problem in future. Kind regards David

(Message edited by david_gore on November 08, 2005)

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, 08 November, 2005 - 17:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No worries Adrian.
I like to see nice original finishes even on components you dont usually see. It is so hard to get factory pictures in colour depicting the right finishes. I promise you the Camargues' calipers aren't as 'loud' in the flesh as they appear in the photo ( my poor photography skills). I think the term for the colour is fsg (f=frog g=green, you can work out what the s stands for!). I would love to have an engine, subframe etc as fresh looking as the one in the sales brochure. Thank you for the info regarding posters too!