How to fit an air dam/front spoiler ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » How to fit an air dam/front spoiler to a Silver Shadow ?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eivin Hjornevik
Yet to post message
Username: rrandrr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2005 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again folks !

I now planing to add airdam to my RR Silver Shadow 1969 and Corniche conv. 1976. Iv got the spoilers (glassfiber) from www.introcar.co.uk. But, I have no ideas where to place it and what srew to use ??? If there is a seal between the body and spoiler ?? Is there anybody that have done this on their car ?? I need some teplet paper on where to drill the holes ??

Thanks Eivin Hjornevik

Gordon Norris
Prolific User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2005 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Eivin,
The later parts manual in the TSD 6000 package shows the Corniche spoiler is attached by 6-8 bolts, washers and rivnuts, the bolts being M5 x 20mm long, and seem to be pretty evenly spaced. There is a seal, presumably of rubber or plastic which is fixed to the spoilers top mating face by Bostik adhesive. I suggest you get hold of the workshop and parts manual from Larry Halpert if necessary, but it looks fairly straight forward.
Hope this helps,

GN.

John Shostrom
Yet to post message
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 07 May, 2005 - 17:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are you certain you want to compromise your car's originality with an air dam? These items, from the factory,are made of hand-hammered aluminium, but are definitely a look for another era, rather than the earlier cars, especially 1969. Their use was to give more front-end stability at sustained very high speeds -- are your cars being used as such? Just a thought. Happy motoring.

Gordon Norris
Prolific User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, 07 May, 2005 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
Please don't take offence, as none is intended, and I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but I don't think "originality" should be held as the Holy Grail with these cars. RR's and B's have always been the ultimate expression of automotive individualism. Add to that the factory's willingness to perform any modification an owner should wish, either before or after delivery (providing it was safe and legal), then they are surely the original "custom" cars.

Further to that, all the models, but especially the Shadow and Spirit series cars and their derivatives, were works-in-progress throughout their production lives with ongoing development and modifications.

So, within reason, I personally am comfortable with modifications, enhancements and updates to these cars, all the more so if the modifications or components were applied to later versions of a particular model, and especially if they enhance safety. After all the owner's satisfaction and enjoyment is what matters in the end.

My own car, a 1990 Turbo RL is far from "original", having numerous factory special-order and Mulliner Park Ward enhancements added on the production line and later, as well as items introduced on later models such as 1998 Turbo RT wheels, transient boost kit, and updated entertainment and Satnav systems, etc, etc.

These things all enhance the car and it's enjoyment in my opinion. So if Eivin likes the appearance of the air dam, or wants to enhance the car's high speed stability, then so be it.

I shall now go and don my bullet proof vest while the purists arm their weapons...

GN.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 737
Posted on Saturday, 07 May, 2005 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I must agree with Gordon. It's all personal taste. Although I wouldn't choose an air dam with chrome bumpers, if you like it do fit it within reason.

The concept that the details must be frozen for life once the factory doors close went out with the Silver Shadow itself. The dealers routinely implemented running improvements during the model's production and afterwards. Concours' judges shuddered when instructed not to deduct points for improvements to Silver Shadows, from headrests to seat belts to side clearance lights. A wish to win originality prizes is no sin, but a daily driver has no chance in that arena no matter how superb it is. Imagine being disqualified because you have replaced an 8-Track by a DVD and satellite navigation system ? No starters in that competition for most.

But, maybe you can go too far if you try.

Deutsche Rolli
Deutche Rolli

John Shostrom
New User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 08 May, 2005 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen: No offence taken, and you are both right in that any number of modifications were made to these cars both during production, and later on as new modifications came out. My only concern would be if something looks right for the era, but then that is a matter of taste. My 1982 was extensively modified, in the manner of a Hooper Spirit, as I do coachbuilt interiors for these cars. Interesting, as soon as I was finished, my phone would not stop ringing as a man wanted to buy it no matter what. To get rid of the nightly calls, I finally quoted an osbcene figure ... and he said he would take the car! That was four years ago in California, and it may be a record price for a 1982 Spirit: US$75,000. Who knows! Nonetheless, happy motoring to all, and if you have a chance, do send or post some pics of the finished cars. If I can ever be of help, please do not hesitate in contacting me; it would be a pleasure. Best regards from Hong Kong.

Eivin Hjornevik
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 12 May, 2005 - 01:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear John, Richard and Gordon

I simply agree in all your arguments

I have also installed the newer backseat with rear head rests and I have taken off the two revers/backing lights and installed the newer type backlight with integrated backing lights.
I want to make my self confortable with the car and I like the chrome bumpers/air dam style because of my under mounted Lucas chrome square genuin fog lights.
So I just dont know where to drill to fit the air dam ;-)
It is my car so I am going to fit it to the car
Thanks for your interests and please com back with a solution for where to drill
PS ! Also looking for a later RR fuel injection sustem to fit.

RR-Regards
Eivin
Norway

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 753
Posted on Thursday, 12 May, 2005 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, Eivin,

The separate reverse lamps are later series. Yes. And earlier too.

The round, clear reverse lamps were only fitted between around 1970 and 1972 with the safety update for US standards. Rather exclusive, whether you like them or not. Our '72 T has them. After 1972, Crewe went back to the old type. So, fitting the integrated turnsignal/reversing/stop/tail lamps is actually backdating your car.

RT.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, 12 May, 2005 - 11:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Elvin/

With a car like that you have got to be helped. I have a T2 in the garage at the moment sans spoiler and will measure the locations of the fixing screws and take a picture for you. Best send me your email address through this system.

I take a perverse pleasure in cars such as yours. As you say it is your car although if you were wacking a 500 cu in vee eight into a vintage Ghost we might have to mobilise the vigilantes! I belong to the Armstrong Siddely Club and there a number of purists there who are fretting becuse they can't seem to get the exact original shades of colour for circa 1950 models. You probably have seen the colours, filthy underpants grey, vomit blue and crappy something. The postwar Bentleys were not much better - there simply were not the techniques and chemistry known at the time for the variations we have today. Why anyone would want to reproduce these colours on cars that are really not rare defeats me. When I get slimmer though I still have a suit I wore in 1953 which is a pretty nifty number, but it is missing a button and I am trying to find some circa '53 fly buttons!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2005 - 05:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As the SS2 was out today i have taken some pictures of the alloy spoiler position.
The hole fixing is about every 8",the mount has plastic spacers i assume to stop corrosion with the stainless nuts bolts.

I realy must give the old girl a clean under here.

Talking lights a little mod i have done is the removal of the tacked on rear fog lights,i have fitted and wired up the offside reverse light as a fog and just useing the n/side as the reverse light.
I have a high intensity[neon]on order but picture shows the set up.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 761
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2005 - 05:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I fitted a 1995 Turbo S rear lower apron (air dam) years ago to my Turbo R. As Pat implies, it's a matter of fitting it, not simply bolting it on according to any instructions.

As Pat observes on his car, I too used stainless steel nuts, washers and bolts. After drilling the apron and the car, I had the apron colour keyed to the body colour, and used liberal quantities of rustproofing paint on the newly drilled holes to mach the body colour. Then I fitted the apron, using yet more antirust paint over the whole lot underneath, and out of sight, once attached. Reapply yearly.

You will need your patience, not a book, to graft a SSII spoiler onto an SS.

RT.

Eivin Hjornevik
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2005 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi folks

That's why I am asking for help here, for not just drill me out on the nowheresland
From Crewe reccord :
SRX7213 is a standard Silver Shadow Saloon made for export. (X is for export, H for Home). The car was painted shell grey ICI. M151-2582 and had red upholstery. It was delivered to Liverpool Docks on 27th August 1969 and put on the "Siena" which sailed for Los Angeles on 3rd Sept. 1969. It was sold to the Newco Leasing Company, of 9278 Santa Monica Blvd., Beverly Hills, California.
So you see, my car was grey and not white as now.
But I think the car looks "sad" in shell gray, iven if it is the real "silver" shadow paint.
So the reverse light must have been genuin earlyer than 1970?
I am no wayting for my 1976 RR Corniche Conv. from USA
I got it on eBay (I am mad)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4528439814&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
I also planing to get one coupe as well. I want all three modells.
But all must be over 30 years old because of the car tax system in Norway.

( a new normal Volvo W70 turbo estate cost 100 000 dollars )

I will no pay 4000 us dollars in tax for the corniche but if it had been a 1977 mod It had been 35 000 dollars in tax !

I will take away the moulding they always put on in US. it was the same on the silver shadow, but it is not so easy because the door is aluminium ant cant be velded so I use epoxy in the drillings instead.

Regards
Eivin
Norway
www.rollsroycemotorcarseurope.com (just started)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, 14 May, 2005 - 12:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Eivin,

I thought DRH14434 [1973] was the only Coffee Bean Brown Corniche in existence and now you have one as well - DRH was given a two-tone treatment on its arrival in Australia and now has a Copper-hued brown [possibly Fiat original colour] above the coachlining and Coffee Bean Brown below. Both cars have the same upholstery. Spiers-Hecker have the tint formulation for Coffee Bean Brown if you need touch-up paint - it is a 2K [two pack]formulation however if you wish to use 1K [standard acrylic] paint, you can use the 2K paint to make a colour sample for colour matching in 1K.

DRH14434

Eivin Hjornevik
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2005 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey David

I was tould that the color was Bronsit met.
It sems lighter then yours ?
But I know that Barbra Streisand had a Coffee Bean Brown Corniche That she also used in her movie the main event.
I also going to fit fog light and air dam to the Corniche

Regards
Eivin

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, 16 May, 2005 - 16:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Eivin,

Colour difference between the photos is due to the light angle highlighting the repaint - Coffee Bean Brown is a solid colour; if yours is metallic then it appears to be the same tint in a metallic base. Looks good and would like to see it for real - Go for the mods - this is a car for the enthusiast driver after all.