SU carbs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » SU carbs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

whunter
Frequent User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, 20 November, 2003 - 07:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Everyone
SU carb parts or complete carbs........

Burlen Fuel Systems inc. The S.U Carburetter Co.
Manufacturer & Distributor of Genuine, New SU and Zenith Carburetters, Fuel Pumps and Components

Burlen Fuel Systems Limited
Castle Road
Salisbury
Wiltshire
SP1 3SA
UK

Tel: +44 (0)1722 412500
Fax: +44 (0)1722 334221
Email: info@burlen.co.uk

Another source you might try is:
MIDEL Pty Ltd.
4 Frazer St, Lakemba
NSW 2195
AUSTRALIA
PHONE:
FAX: 61 2 9759 5598
61 2 9758 1155
EMAIL: info@sumidel.com
http://www.sumidel.com/
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400 Fax 248-334-2363
asemastermechanic@juno.com
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug M Young
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.135.84.204
Posted on Tuesday, 23 November, 2004 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A word of caution regarding the "new" caburettors available from either or both these sources. I bought a set of new sand cast H8s for my "C" engined XK 140 (not an RR I know but the moral is the same) from Midel which they said were manufactured by Burlen. (Each apparently have supplied the other at different times).
There were 2 problems with them, both resulting in pistons sticking in dashpots, usually when vivid acceleration is called for.
1. Machining of inside of dashpots or top of carburettor body tolerance too great allowing a range of positions available for tightening down the dashpot. Only way to avoud sticking piston is to have access to entrance to carb to put finger in to ensure piston can move freely when tightening down the dashpot.
2. This is the worst crime. Machined inner face of dashpot not concentric with central hollow guide for piston, and not parallel either. Impossible to set up without side of piston touching side of dashpot at one end or the other of travel.
Complaint to intermediate supplier (a well known NSW based restorer of Jaguars and Astons) was unsatisfactory and without litigation he was going to do nothing (and living 1000kms away didn't help.) I found it easier to use brasso to remove metal from piston where it was fouling the dashpot.

(Message approved by david_gore)