Shadow pre purchase revisited;again Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Shadow pre purchase revisited;again « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Dare
Prolific User
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, 15 January, 2005 - 18:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The December issue of the respected U.K magazine "Thoroughbred & Classic Cars" reviews S/Shadow (and derivatives) purchase, operation and maintenence etc. Nothing that most of us havent read before (or have learned from experience) however I was suprised to see exch.(factory?) engines listed at 13,500 pnds stg, probably acceptable if you have a Corniche (50% of value) but perhaps doubtful for an average Shadow valued circa 8000 pounds. Yes, I know you can probably have your own engine rebuilt for less and other exch. engines may well be so available, but whenever there is significant disparity (between the price/s of ANY good/s) one should question what is actually being supplied for the money paid. Nevertheless, I was heartened to note the comment from respected U.K expert, Mike Hall (Haines & Hall) conceding that (most) Shadow rear axles were noisy "when new" an assertion for which, like so many that have been offered, attracted the usual "guns a'blazin" dismissive response. Overall a good feature article even if you are inclined to disagree with some of it or at worst, all of it.

Robert Chapman
Grand Master
Username: shadow

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 20:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,
I think EXCHANGE is the important word in this,It assumes that your own block is not cracked or corroded and serviceable.I bet there would be a sizable surcharge,and dont forget freight both ways.

John Dare
Prolific User
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 20:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Robert.I had forgotten to mention that very important point, since a block as described by you could be regarded as..well..er.., RUBBISH. If I am correct of course.