Nippy vice for bench drilling machines. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Nippy vice for bench drilling machines. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.86
Posted on Saturday, 06 September, 2014 - 10:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a small vice for my bench drill called a nippy vice. It has cross vee slots in the jaws. And a toggle hand on the jacking screw.

Very handy because it also can be used to hold a brake pipe flaring tool and used on the car.

Today I started on a big service ready for tax exemption status.( I am spending the saving before I have actually saved the money.)

The Clevis pins in the gear linkage from motor to box are tight so tight that I had to put a nut over the big end of the pin and squeeze it with my nippy vice. They came out a quick clean lots of grease and they finger pushed back in then new split pins.

This method always works hammers just bend linkages.mole grips chew the pins up

The nippy vice is about £20 and extremely useful.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Saturday, 06 September, 2014 - 16:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The "Nippy Vice" as shown below is much loved by model engineers:

Nippy Vice

A modern version manufactured in New Zealand is available - refer following link and a similar vice made by Irwin Tools may also be available through engineering suppliers catering to the model engineering fraternity:

http://www.chevpac.co.nz/catalogue/free-vice-48153_48159/mill-vice-bowring-90mm-nippy-VM_249280?p=1

http://www.irwin.com.au/tools/vices/drill-press-vices

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.86
Posted on Sunday, 07 September, 2014 - 02:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's the one except my handle folds like a toggle. It doubles the usefulness of a bench drill. And somewhere to clamp the Chuck key in case it gets lost.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.83
Posted on Monday, 08 September, 2014 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have checked the price of nippies in the UK and they are a whopping £50 new. And £30 used.

Machine Mart UK does a similar vice that tilts for £14

Warning it is best to buy this sort stuff in person because it could be absolute rubbish made of pot metal which is a chocolate teapot scenario.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, 08 September, 2014 - 20:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had to turn down the offer of a multi-speed pillar drill for under 50 single malt vouchers which included 4 of those blighters. All because the new cambelt on the Rover had delaminated and, due to the distance involved, I couldn't collect it by any other means. Unfortunately delivery would have made the deal uneconomic.
Since then I've been offered a bare drill, free by the bloke who sold me the Rover 2 years ago for 50 vouchers, but distance (200+ miles) is against me again. Originally he was going to meet me half way at a car club meet, but the motor home ran out of MOT and needs a lot of work to put it back on the road.

If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all!

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.93
Posted on Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 - 04:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A lot of old machinery gets scrapped due to transport costs.

My exboss brought a vertical slotter for doing internal key ways. The machine was £200 and 4 tons. Fortunately he has a 16 ton flatbed with 5 ton crane.
The first job we did with it paid for the machine and transport. Now the word has got round that he has a big slotter Work is turning up for the machine.

The only way to do internal key ways is to use a slotter or a shaper. He has a shaper as well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: