2000 Corniche self-levelling suspension Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Post-Spirit » 2000 Corniche self-levelling suspension « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Frequent User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2020 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A friend of mine recently bought a really nice 2000 Corniche V.
However, a few days ago, while driving, the rear suspension locked itself in its highest position, making the car undrivable.

My guess is the computer gets a signal that the car is severly loaded and compensates for this by raising the suspension.

Where should we look first ?

Benoit

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, 13 November, 2020 - 04:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is no computer control of the height control system, it is strictly mechanical. Either one of the height control valve arms has popped off it's connection or the minimum pressure valve is full of crud. Check the linkage arms of the height control valves first, that is likely where the fault is.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Benoit Leus
Frequent User

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, 13 November, 2020 - 22:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info, Jim.
Next week IŽll be seeing the car and will check everything.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Saturday, 14 November, 2020 - 10:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit,

Just curious, but is the "rear in the air" even across both sides, or did the left or right "lurch skyward" in isolation from the other?

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Sunday, 15 November, 2020 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
The tail of these cars is controlled by a single valve. The two back wheels usually either sink together or go up in the air together.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3114
Posted on Sunday, 15 November, 2020 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Thanks. There's only so much minutiae I can keep crammed in my cranium, and I hadn't realized that the rear height control had ever gone "single valve," or at least if I did, that escaped ready retrieval!

Brian

Benoit Leus
Frequent User

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, 17 November, 2020 - 21:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I inspected the Corniche today.
It had been standing for over a week and the suspension was at its lowest setting as the system had depressurized.
About 20 seconds after starting it up, the suspension started to rise to its highest setting, making the car undriveable.
Am I then correct in assuming the minimum pressure valve must be operating correctly ?

The linkage arm of the height control valve was still firmly in place.
So I guess the height control valve itself is not operating correctly.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Wednesday, 18 November, 2020 - 14:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anything change if you manually manipulate the height control linkage?

(Exercising appropriate care, of course.)

Brian

Benoit Leus
Frequent User

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, 18 November, 2020 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

I couldnŽt move the linkage, so the valve is probably stuck.

Benoit

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3116
Posted on Thursday, 19 November, 2020 - 04:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit,

Well, that failed attempt to manipulate the linkage tells you something.

IETIS warns against jacking up the car and keeping the rear wheels unsupported for any extended period of time. They say, ". . . it may cause undue strain on the anti roll bar and height control valve linkage. This condition may cause the leveling system to raise the rear. Therefore, if the car is jacked up for long periods without support to the trailing arms, the height control system should be inspected to ensure correct operation afterwards."

I can't seem to find the magic search terms regarding how one "renews" the height control valve, if that's even possible in this iteration.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: