2008 Bentley Continental GT Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Post-Spirit » 2008 Bentley Continental GT « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2019 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A friend has a Bentley Continental GT 2008, and the rear view mirror has come unstuck.
There is a metal quadrant that is stuck on the windshield that the mirror attaches to.
It seems that this quadrant is stuck on the windscreen with a special gasket or glue of some sort.
Has anyone come across this and do you know where I could buy a replacement gasket?
I have asked Flying Spares and they say the windscreen comes with it already stuck on.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2019 - 04:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
Please excuse my ignorance. I know nothing about this particular car - but I have stuck many a mirror mounting plate back onto glass. All you need is a good glue. No rocket science here - yes its a Bentley but its also just a car.
Omar

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2019 - 07:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Piece of cake. Using 1000 grit paper clean off old glue on rectangular piece, then using razor blade and mentholated spirits clean windscreen.

Apply superglue to rectangular and push it onto inside of windscreen and get it straight. Hold for five minutes.

After 48 hours attach mirror.

I love FS response ha ha but we have a windscreen for you sir and its already got the rectangular bit attached.

I have glued hundreds of those rectangular mirror bits on - its kids stuff.

Patrick Francis
Frequent User

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2019 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys, but this one is a little more complicated. The metal quadrant is hollow to allow the rain and light sensor that is part of the mirror to see out of the windscreen. The contact patch is the thin surrounding edge. I have tfried all methods of sticking it, but the weight of the mirror and thin square contact patch makes sure it comes off sooner rather than later.
I’ll try and get some pictures. To be fair to FS, they are not the only ones that said that the quadrant is chemically bonded(?) to the windscreen from factory.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2019 - 08:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ooh Nasty, hmmm, rain and light sensor.

Patrick, you need a rearview mirror, but I am certain you can tell when its raining and when its dark.

I am guessing the cost of a new windscreen fitted would be the same cost as two flash girls in Leningrad for a year.

I would fill in the hollow with clear epoxy, re glue, be my own sensor and fly to Leningrad.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2019 - 10:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With the money saved Vlad could bring me to Leningrad too, reserve his stamina and offload one of the flash girls to me.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2019 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad is right. Hanging the mirror takes priority over sensors. Also most glues allow light through them so it's possible that the sensors could still respond after the gluing exercise.
Tell us when the job is done so we can all go to St Petersburg for all the action. I can bring that rather quaint jacket along with me to help pull the chicks.

Patrick Francis
Frequent User

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2019 - 16:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey,
I’m with you guys. Who needs a rear view mirror when you’re going fast enough anyway- especially towards Leningrad.
Vlad, we are following you, 😁😁😁👍👍

Patrick Francis
Frequent User

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2019 - 16:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Those funny numbers are smiley faces gone wrong.
:-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: