Re done Alloys for Turbo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Re done Alloys for Turbo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Frequent User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2009 - 14:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Eugene,

I thought I would start a new thread for this.

Here are some pictures I just took of my redone Rims. I tried to get close to show the standard of finish. Hope they come out ok but they look brand new in the the flesh.

Cheers J

Eugene Oleinik
Experienced User
Username: eugenerus

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2009 - 22:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks James. That's a great job!
I have the same discs (probably UR71753) but with the chrome finish.
The chrome is peeling off and I don't know what to do with it. The chrome film is very thick so I don't think it can be sandblasted. I am wondering if it can be removed with a chemical solution?

(Message edited by eugenerus on 27 September 2009)

James Feller
Frequent User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, 28 September, 2009 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Eugene,

Thanks, yes I am very pleased with the end result.

I'm no expert in this area so really cannot comment re chrome issue.... its peeling off??? wow that sounds odd? and chromed wheels on a RR... hmm that sounds a bit bling bling to me, are they original alloys or aftermarket?
Unless you mean the chromed centre caps, the Spirit and Spur II got alloys with large centre discs that were done in a chrome finish if memory serves. I take it this is what you mean Eugene?
Again I'm no expert but can only suggest finding a reputable tyre and wheel place in Moscow and asking them. I would think an acid bath should removed the chrome finish and then the finish re-applied. I would suggest you get the alloys re done at the same time but your choice.
We are lucky here in Aus, no salt or grit on our winter roads. This is the killer for both wheel finish and the genesis for panel rot.....
My alloys were just faded and dull,they had chips, scratches and marks from both wear and the wheel weights being applied and removed over their 20 year life.
Once re done, I asked my tyre guys to weight the wheels on the inside of the rim rather than outside so as to avoid the inevitable and ugly visble bits of lead...

Good luck with your Spur Eugene, The difference will be very much worth it.

Cheers

J

Eugene Oleinik
Experienced User
Username: eugenerus

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, 28 September, 2009 - 19:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James, my discs are genuine RR discs and look exactly like yours (there are several variations actually but they are all original).

The centre caps are chrome too, but the discs (rims) themselves are in chrome. My car is the only car that I have seen with these discs chromed.
The car was ordered for the British Embassy in Moscow. That certainly explains the flagpole (also a rarity?) and perhaps there has been a special order for the chrome alloys too. It definitely looks like a factory job because the thickness of the film is so great.
I will never know the truth since the build records indicate that the car has been ordered with a different style discs (the other type with rectangular vents).

I will have some pictures once I roll it out from the garage.