Steering Rack Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Steering Rack « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel Parker
Experienced User
Username: trawler

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2012 - 01:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen,the dreaded steering rack leak hath visited me.........Being in Hkg am not able to get it reconed locally and the dealer has advised me its terribly expensive......Can anyone shed light on the most cost effective way to procure a reconditioned one.I am aware of thoughts on this but not really much choice as no garage available to do it myself and no option except freight one in.So look forward to some good tips.
Brgds Nigel

Stefan Morley
Grand Master
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2012 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,

I got a reconditioned on from Flying Spares. The cost of the Rack wasn't so bad, delivery a bit of a killer in Oz. Shipping was about half the rack. Wasn't even worth sending my old rack back for the surcharge given cost of shipping.

Still happy enough despite. Fitting it is a bit of a trick without a hoist but achievable. First car I've done where didn't really need a steering wheel alignment after doing the rack. The control point is in the center so if you don't change the outer rods the new rack goes back on with exactly the same alignment the old one came off at. I did get an alignment but it was so close really wasn't worth it.

Think Bill has done a writeup on rebuilding a rack. Pretty certain I seen it somewhere in T-One, least some pointers. Might have a crack at my old one given there is no pressure to get it done. Good luck.

Cheers
Stefan

Michael Hicks
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2012 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

looked at Racks on my Blue car and fount that it was cheaper to up grade to the later rack than mess about with the old one
but if you ho with the latter rack check your nuckel fits

Brian Vogel
Frequent User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2012 - 12:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You should definitely read Racking Your Brains by Richard Treacy before proceeding further.

Brian

Nigel Parker
Experienced User
Username: trawler

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, 12 April, 2012 - 09:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thks to all,got a reconditioned one from Montague with 2 year warranty and the garage popped it in.So far all ok.As Stefan said the cost of shipping back the old one from Hkg is probable more than the surcharge.
Thanks to all for the help.
brgds Nigel